Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

there are a couple of different way of looking at the wheeler deal
1. they committed 5 years and 115 million to an average starter with shoulder problems
2. they needed starting pitching, badly, and could not compete at the top of the market, so this is the best they could do. all things considered, the money is not outrageously outrageous

harper and realmuto and nola are never going to be better than they are right now. this is the time to do something. they did something.

heres a comp. gerritt cole was a top prospect with a magical right arm that never could quite put it together in pitt. he gets traded to houston, who tweaks his game planning, and hes a cy young candidate. wheeler has a similar magical arm, though with less devastating stuff. he throws harder. is there more talent to untap? yes. will the moribund franchise of 10,000 losses be the ones to untap it? i believe 140 years of mostly incompetence says otherwise. but theres more there to wheeler. 
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Rome

I read the Cole comparisons in a few articles.  The bottom line is can the Phillies get this guy to harness his talent?  History says no but they also signed Joe Girardi, which is something I thought they couldn't or wouldn't ever do.

So who knows?

I will give them credit for being bold here because yikes if it blows up on them (again).

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 04, 2019, 10:58:27 PM
So who is next?

didi, maybe. a lower level starter. some bullpen pieces. they are hamstrung payroll wise.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Bunch of rumors they're willing to go over the luxury tax to sign Rendon. I mean, not my money so why not

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/12/06/phillies-plan-pursue-free-agent-anthony-rendon/4355310002/

QB Eagles

I'll believe it when I see it.

MDS

rendon deal would be a complete disaster stop

PhillyPhreak54

So they're taking a run at Kris Bryant??

MDS

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 09, 2019, 07:18:27 PM
So they're taking a run at Kris Bryant??

Pedro Feliz is going to come out of retirement.

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

how long have you been following sports

do you believe every nonsense rumor jon heyman queefs out of his icehole

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on December 05, 2019, 11:05:09 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 04, 2019, 10:58:27 PM
So who is next?

didi, maybe. a lower level starter. some bullpen pieces. they are hamstrung payroll wise.

Didi on board:  1 year, $14M

Geowhizzer

They're either going over the cap or there are trades to be made:

https://twitter.com/DevanFink/status/1204539090005381126

Rome

Arrieta, Robertson and Odumbell are taking up almost $40M of that figure.

They have to go over the cap because of those three horrendous mistakes.  No other choice, really.