Smart Phones, Tablets, Gadgets, etc....

Started by reese125, January 09, 2011, 12:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Munson on March 10, 2011, 01:30:10 AM
I've been due for a phone upgrade for a while, and since I really have no use for a big fancy smart phone...I got the BlackBerry Torch instead, for $99

Blackberry's are terrible.  You should have bought a rock and painted a key pad on it....would have saved you $97. 

Quote from: Munson on March 10, 2011, 01:30:10 AM
So what apps are good to get? and the ones that you pay for, they are one time payments right? Like .99 cents for the baseball scoreboard and such?

I don't know what apps are available for Blackberry but I'm sure there's plenty of "common" apps available for all phones like ESPN, Facebook, CNN, etc.  As for the cost, most are a 1 time fee but some do have subscription rates.....could be monthly, could be annually.  However, any app you purchase should come with free lifetime updates.

Quote from: SD on March 10, 2011, 09:51:35 AM
Who pays for an app?

I've paid for a few.

ESPN Radio was like $2
MLB TV for my ipad was $20 I think

There's a few others but I think they were .99 apps.  I've spent less than $30 in apps but I've got probably close to 100 on my phone/ipad. 

Sgt PSN

Speaking of apps......is anyone familiar with Evernote?  I've got the free version on my phone/ipad/home pc and I really like it but it has limited capabilities and was thinking about subscribing to their full version.  It's been very useful for my job and the features available in the full version would really be a benefit.  But they want $5/mo or $45/year which isn't much in the grand scheme of things but at the same time, I don't like spending money out of my own pocket for work.  So has anyone ever used the full version or know of any free/less expensive apps that have similar functions? 

PoopyfaceMcGee

There are plenty of apps worth the money on iPhone and Android.

Munson

Quote from: FastFreddie on March 10, 2011, 09:30:12 AM
...and the Torch is the fanciest BlackBerry of them all. But don't let details get in the way of his app shopping.

P.S. BlackBerries suck for apps. Don't pay money for anything.

Sarcasm meter not working today, eh? See Sarge's post....in the world of the smart phone, BlackBerry's are pretty much laughed at by anyone who cares about how awesome their smart phone is.

Sarge...All I really needed a phone for is calling, texting, and the camera. The fact that I could get the newest blackberry for 99 bucks just made it so I could get that and a lot of smartphone capabilities on the cheap. I was considering getting the iphone 3G but I've heard too many complaints about it freezing up and shtein, and the dude at AT&T said blackberry's are less cool and fun but a lot more reliable. Works for me.

And you're right, I do get the basic ESPN apps and shtein like that, just seeing what if anything else was worth in terms of sports.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

smeags

i am about to dump t-mobile. the money i would save monthly if i do would pay for the early term fee for our phones in 3months.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

Quote from: smeags on March 10, 2011, 12:34:43 PM
i am about to dump t-mobile. the money i would save monthly if i do would pay for the early term fee for our phones in 3months.

I did the same with T-Mobile opting out of my contract for $200. It's been about a year since I switched to Sprint and I've probably saved $200-$300, have a better phone, and better service. What's funny is I contacted T-Mobile beforehand asking them if they could come close to matching my deal and they laughed at me like I was lying. Then I canceled my service and they called me asking why. I was with them for 7 years too and never missed a payment. farg them.

smeags

i'm not so worried about the phone. the mytouch slide is awesome but i can save $100 plus a month with cricket who have droid phones now. just havent seen or heard about their service to jump ship.

Sgt PSN

Are you sure it wasn't the 3GS?  I'm not even sure if ATT stores are still selling the 3G anymore.  Right now on ATT's website, they are offering an 8GB iPhone 3GS for $49.  Granted, 8GB sucks and you'll fill it up within 24 hours, but that's still a pretty good deal.  You could also get a refurbished 32GB iPhone 4 for $179. 

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/iphone-packages.jsp

They've got a lot of good deals on various iPhones.

And I'm not pimping the iPhone as much as I'm hating on Blackberry.  They're crap.  If you go with a smartphone, go with anything other than Crapberry.  Aside from the fact that I just hate their phones, they also have the worst app market of the major smartphones.  Either go with an iPhone or a Droid.  Both are essentially the same and have damn near all the same apps available.  So if you get a smartphone, then you might as well get one that's going to give you the most bang for your buck.  There's minor differences between iPhones and Droids but neither really functions better than the other and neither is really capable of doing more than the other. 

You've got 30 days to play with the Crapberry.  It took me about 3 months before I really started to hate mine because it was my first smartphone so I was really overwhelmed with what it could do that I didn't realize just how much it couldn't do.

Take that thing back to the store.  You've been warned.   

smeags

the free apps you get from droid or iphone are worth it alone. my issue is the amount these companies are charging.

Munson

Yeah, the 50 dollar 3GS deal was the one I meant. But the people i talked to just had so many complaints about the iPhone being unreliable and easily broken (and no cheap way to get it fixed/get a new one)

But you're right, I've got 30 days so I'll see how it goes and talk to some more of my tech savvy friends to see what they say. I really could only afford the 100 bucks, but after 30 days and a couple more paychecks I might be able to throw an additional $50 or so at it...which if i do, I might order of of amazon because some of their deals for an upgrade on a family plan seem to be a little better than actually buying at the store.

What do you think of the EVO? (or, Evo's, if there's multiple ones now...I really don't pay much attention to the phone market)
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Quote from: smeags on March 10, 2011, 12:59:49 PM
the free apps you get from droid or iphone are worth it alone. my issue is the amount these companies are charging.

I assume you mean for the phones?  It's really not that expensive unless you're that guy who has to have the latest and greatest phone.  Otherwise, if you're cool with being a version/model behind, you can usually get pretty good deals.  It's like buying a car at the end of the model year or shopping for shorts in October. 

smeags

btw cricket has a deal with sprint where they use sprint's 3g and i believe soon to be 4g network.

smeags

Quote from: Sgt PSN on March 10, 2011, 01:03:08 PM
Quote from: smeags on March 10, 2011, 12:59:49 PM

I assume you mean for the phones?  It's really not that expensive unless you're that guy who has to have the latest and greatest phone.  Otherwise, if you're cool with being a version/model behind, you can usually get pretty good deals.  It's like buying a car at the end of the model year or shopping for shorts in October. 

actually i meant the service. you're right on the phones though, plus you get great deals on ebay if you're willing to buy a refurbished phone if you cant find it with the company itself. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Munson on March 10, 2011, 01:00:34 PM
Yeah, the 50 dollar 3GS deal was the one I meant. But the people i talked to just had so many complaints about the iPhone being unreliable and easily broken (and no cheap way to get it fixed/get a new one)

I've had my 3GS for just about a year now and I've got no major complaints.  I've had it freeze on me like 2 or 3 times.  Power off, power on, problem solved.  I don't understand why people get all butthurt if their smartphone freezes.  Chances are, if someone has a problem with their iPhone freezing, it's because they have too many apps running at the same time......kind of like when your computer freezes because you've got too much crap open and the processor can't handle it.  Alot of apps will prompt you to allow it to use your location and send you notifications and crap like that.  So if you allow that for every single app, then your phone is going to farg up because you've got 50 different apps constantly working. 

As far as unreliable, it's no more or less reliable than any other phone out there.  It's all about where you are and how many towers you've got around you.  I've had 3 different phones while living out here in the desert.  A basic Samsung flip phone, Crapberry and Iphone.  I had roughly the same signal strength/weakness with all 3.  I'm just in a not so great area for cell phones.

And as far as breaking your iPhone....as long as you buy a decent case for it and don't have a habit of dropping it all the time, then you should be fine.  The screen is kind of fragile I guess but if you crack it, you can get it replaced for about $70 through a local techie.......$200 to have Apple do it.   

But you're right, I've got 30 days so I'll see how it goes and talk to some more of my tech savvy friends to see what they say. I really could only afford the 100 bucks, but after 30 days and a couple more paychecks I might be able to throw an additional $50 or so at it...which if i do, I might order of of amazon because some of their deals for an upgrade on a family plan seem to be a little better than actually buying at the store.

What do you think of the EVO? (or, Evo's, if there's multiple ones now...I really don't pay much attention to the phone market)

That's the one with the really big screen, right?  I don't know much about it but I've got a buddy who has one and he's a pretty big technology nerd and he loves it.  I think that's a Sprint phone though......who is your carrier? 

Rome

I had a blackberry for about a week and absolutely hated it.

Still loving the iPhone 4 I got a while back.  It's awesome and I haven't had a single complaint since I bought it.