Phillies 2017 Thread

Started by MDS, April 02, 2017, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

when you have money to spend and a deep farm system (maybe not with amazing talent, but with talent), you can get good quick.

im not saying theyll be a world series contender in 19 but on paper theyre going to be good. they arent going to sixers this thing...2019 is d day.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

They do have this, though...

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on April 13, 2017, 09:08:29 AM
when you have money to spend and a deep farm system (maybe not with amazing talent, but with talent), you can get good quick.

im not saying theyll be a world series contender in 19 but on paper theyre going to be good. they arent going to sixers this thing...2019 is d day.

who is the free agent they are getting winter of 18 that is having them in the playoffs two years from now?

is the farm system better than what they have now?...who in the system is coming up next year that is going to have them in the playoffs in 2019...jp is completely overmatched in AAA and him and nick are hitting a combined .146......yeah i know its early....because theyve showed so much promise in AAA thus far...most of the potential stud prospects in the system are years away from contributing to a postseason major league team

so assuming these guys are even major leaguers to begin with you can bring up crawford williams kingery etc...but who on the roster are they going to be a huge upgrade over....more interesting to watch sure?...but is kingery better than cesar?...is crawford going to be that much better than freddie?...the only guy in the system that i have hope could come up make the majors and be better than what they have now in time for a 2019 playoff run is alfaro

2019 opening day is now less that two years away...i just dont see where all the great players are going to come from to put them in the postseason by then

shtein you have maikey in japan in two years and hes supposed to be a building block
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

some of it is going to come from outside the organization....free agency and trading their prospects for a bigger piece. theyll have a deep enough farm system to do that and deep enough pockets to overpay for machado or something.

theres still a lot of variables in play, namely pitching. im not sure how theyre going to acquire a stud arm until sixto and kilome (and those are massive ifs), so the pitching will be full of 2s and 3s. but the royals made 2 world series and won 1 without an "ace." you put together a dynamite bullpen, have your starters get you 6 and load up on bats.

but this isnt the sixers. whether they are ready or not theyre going to put a good team on paper in 19. they have to. they arent sitting on their hands for x amount of years until a "core" is developed.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i hate to break it to you but they already are the sixers

and in general i dont disagree with anything you said...i just dont think they are a playoff team as soon as you do mostly because like almost all baseball fans you overrate your teams system

MDS

its impossible to say if theyre going to be a playoff team in 19....maybe they win 88 games and maybe thats good enough for the second wild card. and maybe its not.

you cant project that. but you can say that, on paper, they will have a competitive roster in 2019.

QB Eagles

I don't think their roster will look anything like today's roster, but I can easily see it being a different set of bums with a few good FAs letting their talents go to waste.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on April 13, 2017, 11:22:54 AM
its impossible to say if theyre going to be a playoff team in 19....maybe they win 88 games and maybe thats good enough for the second wild card. and maybe its not.

you cant project that. but you can say that, on paper, they will have a competitive roster in 2019.

so essentially like ive said all along this was a 5-7 year rebuilding process if in 2019 they might be "competitive on paper"

i think we are still looking at 20 or 21 until they are a legit division title and/or playoff contender...not a team a few games over .500 that is the 7th team in a seven team wc race

MDS

you might be right. 20/21 are reasonable time frames. maybe.

jp - 3/28. 1 bb, 10k.
alfaro - 12/29. 0 bb, 6k. 1 hr. 1 sb.
nick - 5/25. 0 bb, 9k. 2 sb.
cuzzo - 4/27. 4 bb, 11 k. 1 hr.
hoskins - 9/26. 4 bb, 5 k. 1 hr. he has a 1029 ops.
j valley - 11/26. 0 bb, 5 k.
quinny - 8/29. 0 bb, 12 k. 1 sb.

nobody even has 30 at bats so we're on a really small sample size but outside of alfaro this is...ugh

ice grillin you

hoskins isnt even a prospect as far as im concerned and cousins barely is...their bats do not and will not translate to the major leagues they are basically the same but different versions of stassi

valentin had an amazing spring but i dont think is even in the top 25 on most of their propspect lists and almost certainly will be passed by kingery this year

its all about the big boys and if they flame out or not

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on April 14, 2017, 09:02:59 AM
you might be right. 20/21 are reasonable time frames. maybe.

jp - 3/28. 1 bb, 10k.
alfaro - 12/29. 0 bb, 6k. 1 hr. 1 sb.
nick - 5/25. 0 bb, 9k. 2 sb.
cuzzo - 4/27. 4 bb, 11 k. 1 hr.
hoskins - 9/26. 4 bb, 5 k. 1 hr. he has a 1029 ops.
j valley - 11/26. 0 bb, 5 k.
quinny - 8/29. 0 bb, 12 k. 1 sb.

nobody even has 30 at bats so we're on a really small sample size but outside of alfaro this is...ugh

That looks great. Another hyped up batch of prospects that will fail. Any other org and these dudes would be on fire.

MDS

PhillyPhreak54

That's one.

Howard, Utley, Rollins, Rolen, Hamels....spread out over how many years?

MDS

jon villar and gio gonzalez are good. ken giles. travis d'arnaud is ok.

i mean its the phillies and theyve won 2 titles in 1000 years what the farg do you expect

SD

No way it happens and I realize he has 4 years left on his deal but I'd be all in on Trout. I would trade every prospect in the organization, JP, Moniak, Alfaro, Quinn...and who ever else the Angels want. The likelihood of those players panning out is looking grimmer and grimmer. Trout puts asses in the seats and is a player to build around.