Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Zanshin on September 21, 2007, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on September 21, 2007, 08:28:14 AM
Quote from: Zanshin on September 21, 2007, 07:47:20 AM
Are you guys using the HD cables of the standard component cables?  I just switched to a 42" 1080i in the little game room, and it's sweet.  Since the TV was free, I splurged and got the cables.  The games look amazing.  Until I did some digging, I didn't know I needed special cables for the HD quality from the box, actually.
the component cables that come with the 360 can support up to 1080p if you tv takes 1080p over component.  Otherwise the regular component cables will be at 1080i if its setup properly on the display setup on 360

Oh, but regular component cables don't do the trick.  Need the colorstream five plugs with blue and green, not the standard yellow/white/red.
yeah, yellow/white/red is basic RCA's..

It basically took you form 480p to 1080i and changes the whole love of gaming.  Honestly, there is no point of having a 360 or ps3 unless you are running HD imo
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

i get my 3rd xbox (2nd repair) back on Monday...we'll see how it goes.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: SunMo on September 21, 2007, 11:27:10 AM

Just in time for HALO

SunMo

i still have to get Madden, Bioshock, NHL, etc...

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: SunMo on September 21, 2007, 11:27:10 AM

Do you have your 360 well ventilated? Also I'm not sure if it helps, but I heard it helps prolong the life if you cut down on the 8+ hour sessions and break them down into multiple 2/3 hour sessions so the Xbox doesn't get too hot inside.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

SunMo

i can't play for more than 90 minutes, 2 hours max, so that's not a problem

i have it in an entertainment cabinet, so it probably could be ventilated better, i'm going to try a new position when i get it back

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on September 21, 2007, 04:13:42 PM
i can't play for more than 90 minutes, 2 hours max, so that's not a problem

i have it in an entertainment cabinet, so it probably could be ventilated better, i'm going to try a new position when i get it back
A lot of people just use the laptop cooler pads, just get one that you can plug into an outlet and not use USB power from the 360
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

Ain't that a bitch, drawing power so you can run a seperate machine to cool the goddamned XBOX!
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

The BIGSTUD

Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: King Cole on September 24, 2007, 02:47:18 AM
Halo 3 IGN review

9.5:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/821/821911p1.html

Bunch of reviews, all are pretty similar:
QuoteIGN: 9.5
---Presentation: 10: An amazing replay editor, four-player online co-op, map editor, and community support make this the most robust feature set ever in a videogame.
---Graphics 9.0. : Despite a few moments of slowdown, this is a gorgeous game, especially considering the demands of the replay function. And it's to die for in 1080p.
---Sound: 10: This is the reason God created Surround Sound. Halo's theme is a futuristic anthem that inspires the troops. The chatter during combat is fantastic.
---Gameplay: 9.0: There are a few questionable design choices in the campaign, but this series remains the most fun first-person shooter on the planet. Multiplayer and the Forge are fantastic.
---Lasting Appeal: 10: The campaign won't take you long to complete, but this is a game that can be played for years. There are so many things to do, and it's so much fun to do them.

Gametrailers: 9.8
--Campaign whilst linear has very little backtracking or repetition; Every locale is unique and memorable; 10 - 15 hour average playtime depending on difficulty; The deployable items aren't ground breaking; Best enemy AI in the business; Visuals are not the best on the system, poor character models; Audio trumps the visuals.
--"Look behind the sofa, in your car and in your pockets. Do whatever you can to get hold of Halo 3. The chief is back and he's no thief."

1Up: 10/10
--It's hard to imagine a feature of this game that someone won't love (we didn't even get to talk about the robust file sharing, where you can swap gameplay screenshots, edited game films, game setups, and maps). Or you can just look at it as a sum of so many quality parts, that value-wise, Halo 3 is as sure a thing as it gets. Sure, not one aspect of the game is life-changing on its own, but perhaps the package as a whole is. After all, Halo 3 has enough content to keep you stuck to your controller for weeks, if not months or even years.

Gamespot: 9.5 (for reference, they gave Bioshock a 9.0)
--Halo 3 builds upon the concepts of Halo 2 in ways that you'd expect, but there are also new modes and options that send the series in exciting new directions.
--The Good: Satisfying storyline that simultaneously provides closure while making you wonder what will happen next ; Four-player online co-op is a lot of fun; Forge mode map editor lets you do some extremely crazy and unexpected things; Web integration makes sharing new maps and custom modes easy.
--The Bad: Rewinding saved films doesn't work quite like you'd expect it to; AI-controlled Marines can't drive to save their lives (or yours); Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.
--Merits: Get More Than Your Money's Worth, Great Sequel, Great Sound Effects, Great Story, Outstanding Gameplay, Plays Well With Others, Strong Competetive Multiplayer, Terrific Voice Acting.

Eurogamer: 10/10
--And yet, hype machine aside, cutting through the crap about console wars and the like, what we find in Halo 3 is quite simply this - the best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.

Gamespy: 5/5
---Pros: The Forge; four-player co-op over Xbox Live; brilliant storyline finishes the fight.
---Cons: Single-player campaign is somewhat short; wishing you'd pre-ordered a Legendary Edition.

Team Xbox: 9.7
---Gameplay (9.7): It's definitely Halo, but that's definitely a great thing. The campaign is hands-down the best in the series' history, and the multiplayer is as addictive as ever. Our only knock is with the difficulty, which wasn't quite as tough as we had hoped.
---Graphics (9.5): Aside from a few slowdown issues here and there, this is an excellent looking game in both the single- and multiplayer arenas. We particularly loved the HDR lighting, which is the best we've seen in a game to date
---AUDIO (9.7): Marty O'Donnell's score is better than ever, perfect setting the tone for each of the levels while never being too overwhelming. The sound effects are stellar, too, as is the voice work (the battle chatter never gets old).
---Longevity (10): You finally have a reason to stop playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live, as this takes the cake as the most customizable multiplayer game of all time. Throw in Forge and you've got the makings of a true addiction.
---Innovation (9.8): From Forge to Saved Films to the Bungie.net integration, this game has something to wow everyone. Best of all, it's only going to get better with time.

mussa

so who as is getting halo 3? i was thinking of putting it off for awhile, but i just read you can create your own multi-player maps and place things etc...all which is downloadable if you like someone's map. thats pretty badass right there. ive never played any of the halo's, so my halo boner has yet to show up. what makes the halo series so great?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Don Ho

don ho jr. all over it.

Very well versed boy, top three games he plays:

NCAA 08
MLB The Show
Saints Row
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Don Ho on September 24, 2007, 02:46:22 PM
don ho jr. all over it.

Very well versed boy, top three games he plays:

NCAA 08
MLB The Show
Saints Row
Great game for kids Don Ho  :-D

SunMo

my Xbox finally got back to me today...joy

it's another replacement, so we'll see how this one holds up

phattymatty

i rented the bigs for the wii yesterday and my arm feels like its going to fall off.