Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillen

Quote from: Lil' Miss SunMo on August 15, 2006, 04:24:45 PM
i'm playing God of War right now.  everyone who said I needed to play it...you were right.  this game owns.
I really liked it, but what I didnt like is that there was absolutely nothing to do after you beat it.

Quote from: Bunkley78 on August 19, 2006, 03:05:09 PM
Apparently you can't edit players at all in Madden 07 for the 360. You can't change their positions, rating, whatever.

This sucks bad because sometimes they put players at the wrong positions, and I need to edit their positions. For example putting Jamaal Jackson at guard instead of center. Also when players have great seasons it's nice to be able to edit their ratings to keep the rosters current.

and a lot of the time they'll have someone's speed off, which I need to edit it to make it more realistic.

But EA can get away with it because they are the only NFL franchise out there.
Jackson is listed as a C in 2007.

http://sports.ign.com/madden07/eagles.html

I agree though, they are way off on some ratings. They have Fraley stronger and a better run blocker then Jackson.

The BIGSTUD

Good to hear.

But it's other things as well. For example, Jason Avant could have an 85 speed and Reggie Brown could have an 83 speed. I'm not saying that's what it will be. Just examples. Sometimes the speeds of players are way off, and I need to fix them.

It's pretty weak that they left it out.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Feva

Quote from: Dillen37 on August 19, 2006, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: Lil' Miss SunMo on August 15, 2006, 04:24:45 PM
i'm playing God of War right now.  everyone who said I needed to play it...you were right.  this game owns.
I really liked it, but what I didnt like is that there was absolutely nothing to do after you beat it.

Not true.  Beat it on God mode... which is hard as hell, and then insanely hard while fighting your clones in the fight against Ares... and that unlocks the "Challenge of the Gods" which is another tough mini-game.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Feva

Quote from: Bunkley78 on August 15, 2006, 06:22:51 PM
I liked PoP better personally. I think the puzzle solving in PoP was puts it above GoW. GoW has better action and fighting, but the puzzle solving and the walk running/climbing/jumping was what made it more fun.

I wasn't a huge GoW fan, but it was a good game. I like a little more depth and puzzle solving in my games.

PoP was cool, but it just didn't stack up, IMO.  Yeah, the jumping/climbing and all that was cool... but after a while, it got repetitive.  The fights are extremely repetitive, fighting only about 3 or 4 different enemies... and it never really seemed to build any tension throughout the game.  By the time, I was near the end, it was almost like I wanted to finish it just so I could say I did.  In GoW, there are so many different enemies and so many different ways to fight them... and the puzzles in GoW were quality as well... and it always seemed like it was building to something, which turned out to be a great and challenging boss fight against Ares.  There were no boss battles at all in PoP until the end and I beat the guy the first time I fought him... without losing ANY energy.  None.

The GoW soundtrack was among the best music I've ever heard in a game... again... which builds tension and keeps you immersed in it.  The voice acting was excellent and clear.  In PoP, there was largely no music at all throughout the game... and even the movie scenes were tough to understand because the music and efx drounded out the voices.  The scenery and backgrounds in GoW are top notch... which also helps you feel like you were actually in ancient Greece.  Didn't get as much of that in PoP.  There were a few rooms which once you climbed to the top, you realized just how big they were and all, but something was just missing.

I won't harp on graphics because I know that PoP was made long before GoW so it's tough to compare them, but again... GOW, especially the in-game movies... are among the best I've ever seen. 

All in all, I just think GoW was just a much more complete, deeper and fun game than PoP.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

mussa

checked out madden mania website today and they have a thread where a guy got a copy of madden 07 for PS2. they switched the off season menu to have free agents signings before and after the draft which is cool. the draft is updated also with more in depth scouting, there is a college all-star game which you can play to get a better feel for the players on the field. apparently there are some new dive moves for the endzone. Didn't specify it for goal-line situations, which I think they need a dive over the pile. oh and the new lead blocker option must be pretty cool too from what it sounds, although you have to utilize both analog buttons at once which sounds like it could be tough to get used too. also mentioned that you can choose to hold and try to get away with it.  sounds like some good improvements. i saw nothing but negative reviews of 360, both 06 and 07
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

The BIGSTUD

OXM gave the 360 version an 8.0 and the Xbox version a 7.0.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

The BIGSTUD

I was looking at the player ratings, and this is one of the reasons I love editing ratings.

Some things I noticed. Avant is faster than Gaffney in the game, and is equally as fast as McCants.

Ngata has more strength than Bunkley

Jamaal Jackson is rated a 78 where Fraley is rated an 84. Fraley is the starter on the depth chart.

Tra Thomas is rated better than Runyan  ???

Detmer is rated a 74  :-D

Dhani Jones and Shawn Barber are rated 86's and Matt McCoy is rated a 74.

I didn't see Lajuan Ramsey on the roster either.

Bunkley is one of the strongest players in the NFL even as a rookie. He lifted significantly more than Ngata did at the combine.

Ugh, this is pissing me off. EA and their monopoly. I hope they crash and burn.

PoopyfaceMcGee

One problem is that players are more than numbered ratings of their abilities, so if the game wants to make Ngata anywhere near as good as Bunkley, who is already significantly quicker than him, they have to mess it up elsewhere.  Also, players naturally have good years and bad years and good weeks and bad weeks, and Madden fails to capture this.  Oddly enough, "NFL Head Coach" does this by having players' abilities in ranges.  It makes a lot more sense.

As for Ramsey, they often do not have some of the later draft picks on the team.  Another pet peeve of mine with this game and with NFL Head Coach is that they just leave the roster limit at 55 the whole season, instead of having any kind of training camp rosters and cut-downs.

Really, all the games suck, because they don't have to be any better or more realistic than they are to even sell.  In fact, I'll bet more guys/kids that play Madden would rather it stays the way it is than integrate more of the realism.

Dillen

It's something that pisses me off is that they can make almost perfect graphics but still cant fix the ratings. It isnt something that really matters to me that much though, you can create the guys missing and in franchises you can get their attributes up.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Dillen37 on August 20, 2006, 11:11:12 AM
It's something that pisses me off.... It isnt something that really matters to me that much though....

:sly

Dillen

Quote from: Geowhizzer on August 20, 2006, 12:16:42 PM
Quote from: Dillen37 on August 20, 2006, 11:11:12 AM
It's something that pisses me off.... It isnt something that really matters to me that much though....

:sly
I'd prefer to have it better obviously, but if not, oh well.

There's no point for me to argue this, the only system you cant edit them in is 360 and I dont have that.

mussa

I havn't meet one person who didn' bitch about madden, but its the best selling game ever and people will continue to buy it because its the best out there.

that is a awesome idea to have a practice squad, send players up and down etc...

they give away the most updated rosters for free over at madden mania. madden and ncaa. they are all against people that sell them on ebay, mostly due to people just stealing their work and charging for it.

anyone on here play online via PS2? I was thinking about getting the network adapter and giving it a shot. i heard PS2 is kinda choppy online..

since the new version is coming out this week, i went and traded westbrook for reggie bush and a 2nd and 4th round pick. he is ranked 88 with 96 speed, 99 acceleration.  great receiver, he's actually ranked 84 at WR position. I set him out wide on some 3 receiver sets. good bye LB and S.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Dillen

I have the online adapter and that's why I hate when people bitch about the rosters, although I do a little bit, but there are a lot of roster updates. It isnt choppy at all if you cable. Dont play anyone with dial up though, then it takes forever and kicking is impossible.

Agreed with the practice squad, I dont understand why they cant just put an 8 man PS with really basic rules. Just make it so no team can claim another team's PS...people that dont know about the PS wouldnt know how to abuse it anyways.

The BIGSTUD

Create a player is different too. You can't set the attributes the way you want them. You have to train them with different mini-games. Like 40 yard dash, bench presses, etc. So whatever you get on those mini-games is what their attributes will be. So you can't customize Ramsey to what fits him in real life.

I was looking forward to having a nice push up the middle in my franchise with Bunkley this year, but sadly, since he went 14th overall, he won't be that effective.

Who does these ratings anyway? They should know that Jamaal Jackson is the Eagles' #1 center and is significantly stronger than Fraley.

Dillen

Quote from: Bunkley78 on August 20, 2006, 04:00:23 PM
Create a player is different too. You can't set the attributes the way you want them. You have to train them with different mini-games. Like 40 yard dash, bench presses, etc. So whatever you get on those mini-games is what their attributes will be. So you can't customize Ramsey to what fits him in real life.

I was looking forward to having a nice push up the middle in my franchise with Bunkley this year, but sadly, since he went 14th overall, he won't be that effective.
That's really stupid if they do that for every single create a player. I thought that was only for Superstar mode or something. I guess they put it because people would make ridiculous players to cheat.

I dont understand your Bunkley thing. He's an 83 overall. 90 strength. That's good for a rookie..