CF Financial

Started by hbionic, February 12, 2010, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Nah, from what I gather is its a self help financial book that is on the aggressive side rather than the traditional safer investing.

Someone recommended it to me today.

Diomedes

I don't read self help books.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

isnt a self help book the ultimate oxymoron
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

I always thought the ultimate oxymoron was

jumbo shrimp
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Diomedes

ice grillin you

Diomedes

don't let it go to your head boss

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 25, 2010, 07:15:46 AM
interest rates are so low right now i am thinking about going to a 15 year mortgage which would only cost me 400 more per month

If you have any other debt, it's probably better to go with a 30-year.  Then you can pay extra every month once you pay off the car, et al.  If not, have at it.  Pretty cool to get that close to paying off your crib.

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 27, 2010, 09:02:27 PM
Has anyone read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Yes.  It will give you some good ideas, but keep this in mind:
-The guy is a cocky shtein and feels that with dedication and hard work, anyone can become absolutely filthy rich.
-The guy is absolutely filthy rich.  Made his money first from real estate but mostly from getting suckers like us to buy his books and attend his seminars.  If you don't think you will make a ton of money like that, you're better off buying a book about budgeting.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm pretty good about budgeting, but I want to learn investing. I want to be able to know the ins and outs of the markets so I can grow my savings.

ice grillin you

Quote from: FastFreddie on June 28, 2010, 12:13:14 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 25, 2010, 07:15:46 AM
interest rates are so low right now i am thinking about going to a 15 year mortgage which would only cost me 400 more per month

If you have any other debt, it's probably better to go with a 30-year.  Then you can pay extra every month once you pay off the car, et al.  If not, have at it.  Pretty cool to get that close to paying off your crib.

no debt whatsoever...but we still may go in that direction as ill probably be getting a new car in the next couple years

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 28, 2010, 12:31:31 AM
I'm pretty good about budgeting, but I want to learn investing. I want to be able to know the ins and outs of the markets so I can grow my savings.

Rich Dad Poor Dad will teach you nothing about investing.

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 28, 2010, 07:03:48 AM
no debt whatsoever...but we still may go in that direction as ill probably be getting a new car in the next couple years

GOAT - FYI, I did the math on a 15 vs 30 and figured if I made the same payment amount from the 15-year at the 30-year rate, it would take 15 years and 9 months to pay off.

If your ladyfriend has a gubment job too, might as well go with the 15.  Mad job security.  Plus, you'll just blow the difference on air travel and chain restaurants.

Diomedes

We have a mortgage, college loans, and a note on the kid carrier.

In the last four or five months, three of the four credit cards I hold have instituted a yearly membership fee of something like sixty bucks.  The only card which hasn't is the Sears Mastercard.

I'm a good customer, though I rarely use plastic, when I do, I pay it off on time.  They don't admittedly make much money on me because of this, but all the same, you'd think they'd want to keep a customer they've had for 10+ years who pays his bills.  Nope.  All three made it clear: pay the yearly fee or cancel the card.

I cancelled all three.  Now my credit rating is damaged, because I have about 30 thousand less available credit.

These are the rewards you can expect for being fiscally responsible.

Now if I want to bring that credit rating back up, I have to go out and find a couple cards that don't charge yearly fees, just so I can demonstrate an ability to have (but not overuse) available credit.  And of course, every inquiry against my account in an attempt to apply for a new card will be logged, and will be seen as a red flag on the credit rating.

The whole system is a scam.

SD

This game is rigged, man. We like the little bitches on a chessboard.