06/07 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, September 30, 2006, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

from Boston.com;

QuoteA Philadelphia flier?

A few Phillies players and coaches wouldn't be surprised if the team made a run at Manny Ramírez.

The lure would include Ramírez's ties with Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, his former hitting coach in Cleveland, and the chance to hit in a lineup with Ryan Howard and Chase Utley at Citizens Bank Park, where the ball carries. But those who understand how general manager Pat Gillick works think any deal for Ramírez would be subject to Gillick's terms.

One of those terms might be the Red Sox taking left fielder Pat Burrell, who has two years remaining at $13 million and $14 million. The Phillies have been frustrated by Burrell's inconsistency, but here's what the Red Sox would like: Entering yesterday, he led the National League in pitches per plate appearance (4.33), he was tied for eighth in walks (92) and go-ahead RBIs (28); he had hit 27 homers and knocked in 91 runs; and over the last six years, he has led all left fielders in assists with 59.

There's no way the Red Sox could sell this one unless there was another pitcher or top prospect coming back, and they'd still have to acquire a bat to protect David Ortiz.

While Manuel would not indulge us with on-the-record comment concerning a Ramírez deal, he did say about his past relationship, ``I coached Manny when he was a young player and I got along fine with him. I have not been around him for many years now, so I don't know anything about how it would be to manage Manny as a veteran player."

One thing that could make any deal dicey is if Ramírez's agent, Greg Genske, tries to leverage for an extension. Back when Ramírez was talking last season, he told this reporter he wasn't interested in playing beyond his current contract. But Ramírez tends to change his mind. And as a 10-5 guy, he must approve any deal.

BigEd76

From a Q&A with Gillick:

QuoteQ: Will Charlie be back next year?

A: Charlie is under contract through 2007.

Q: Does that mean he's guaranteed to come back?

A: He has a guaranteed contract through 2007. Right.

:-D

Sgt PSN

Manny sucks at teh outfield but his bat would produce many more runs than his poor fielding would yield. 

MDS

Uhhhhhhhhhh yea. Manny is Manny, he's got his own rules and plays his own way. But I'd take him. Especially if it rids us of Burrell.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Plus, there's no scoreboard in left field for him to take bathroom breaks in so that automatically limits some of the stupid shtein he can do. 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 01, 2006, 08:46:08 PM
Plus, there's no scoreboard in left field for him to take bathroom breaks in so that automatically limits some of the stupid shtein he can do. 

He can just pee on the field now. Or the fans. Or both.

MDS

If it was Torri Hunter I'm sure you would want it in your mouth, sicko.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Wingspan

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 01, 2006, 08:14:53 PM
LA went 6-0 and SD went 5-2 this week.  So much for getting help from other teams...

if they werent a bunch of choking pusses...they wouldnt have need help
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

MDS

Quick facts:

1. Julio Santana is still on the 60 day DL.
2. The AAA team is called the Ottawa Lynx
3. Next year, they will reach the 10,000 loss mark.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on October 01, 2006, 11:17:53 PM
Quick facts:

1. Julio Santana is still on the 60 day DL.
2. The AAA team is called the Ottawa Lynx
3. Next year, they will reach the 10,000 loss mark.

No way.  162-0 baby!

PoopyfaceMcGee

Optimism for "next year" reigns supreme.

Philly_Crew

Manny for Burrell   :drool

Definitely need bullpen help and 3B.  I'm still hoping Floyd can pull it together and be the #5.

troyhstewart

a starting pitcher and a set up man for Gordon.

getting rid of Burrell isn't going to be easy.  I can guarantee that they don't spend 10+ million on his replacement though.

I didn't see a FA list, but somebody mentioned to me that Jason Schmidt, Curt Schilling and Dontrelle Willis are all FAs. ?

I'd love a rotation of one of those 3, Myers, Hamels, Moyer, and Lieber as the 5th starter.

I would also be interested how a new manager would construct the new lineup.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: troyhstewart on October 02, 2006, 02:45:55 PM
I didn't see a FA list, but somebody mentioned to me that Jason Schmidt, Curt Schilling and Dontrelle Willis are all FAs. ?

I'd love a rotation of one of those 3, Myers, Hamels, Moyer, and Lieber as the 5th starter.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, that's just like the Phillies to go out and spend top dollar to sign the top 3 starters on the market.

Hoping for one of those three is pushing it.  Hoping for all three is downright ridonkulous.

BigEd76

Schmidt and Zito are FAs.  Schilling has 1 yr left before retiring, and Willis is in arbitration with the Marlins for 2 more years...