Rock shows

Started by Diomedes, April 11, 2006, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

He's got a ton of work to do, but he has fun with it. Good enough for me. I'd rather him obsess with this than Minecraft.

PhillyPhreak54

SD

For 9 that's great. And kudos for having him sing Petty.

Zanshin

Quote from: SD on January 18, 2014, 11:29:20 AM
For 9 that's great. And kudos for having him sing Petty.

Actually, you asked a long time ago if I ever had interest in concerts in the area. I'd never ask a favor for myself, but if you hear of anything Tom Petty related, I'd be happy to know about it for my kid. He wants to see him in the worst way.

He just did You Wreck Me this morning, if you like the Petty stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ItCDF6Ku4

SD

Petty played at Firefly last year and he was pretty incredible.

Zanshin

He's got an album coming out, so I'm hoping they tour to support it this summer.

SD

School age kids cover 46&2, not bad. Girl has some vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5VGILERzgg

Zanshin

Good production, too. Great job.

Rome

The rhythm section kicked ass.

Munson

I didn't have to purchase Firefly tickets from the website last year, but from all  it was a nightmare....this year I purchased tickets for friends and myself, and a premier campsite, and was done within 5 minutes. Not bad at all.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

At Jack Johnson tonite.

Aghhhhhhh!

Tomahawk

Jack Johnson is rock?

Going to Riotfest in Chicago this fall...any must see lesser known bands?

http://riotfest.org/2014/05/chicago-riot-fest-carnival-lineup-announced-osn/

Diomedes

Jack Johnson is something like soft adult contemporary pop.

fargton of good bands on that bill.  From the list of acts in smaller font, I'd be most interested in Clutch and Mastodon.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Quote from: Tomahawk on May 21, 2014, 09:50:51 AM
Jack Johnson is rock?

Going to Riotfest in Chicago this fall...any must see lesser known bands?

http://riotfest.org/2014/05/chicago-riot-fest-carnival-lineup-announced-osn/

A lot of those bands are from "my" generation. You would probably label a lot of it emo/whiney/pop punk, but that's what was popular on modern rock radio when I was growing up and I loved it. Taking Back Sunday is one of my favorite bands, but their lead singer's voice is really hit or miss, especially live. They've got 6 albums out and I love 1-3, and 6, which is probably where most of the songs they play will be from. Albums 2 and 3 had a different guitarist/2nd vocalist, but you'd probably recognize those songs most since they had a couple big radio hits off of those in 2004-2007.

Dashboard Confessional is super "emo", you probably wouldn't be into it (If you remember the song "Vindicated" from the original Spiderman soundtrack, that's them). Dude's got some range in his vocals though.

New Found Glory, Tegan and Sara, The Get Up Kids, Motion City Soundtrack, Senses Fail, 7 Seconds, and The Used are all some version of pop-punk/emo/alt rock bands that I've enjoyed in the past/still enjoy somewhat. Circa Survive falls into that same sound, but his voice is ridiculously high pitched and awful sounding to me.

Geeze, the more I go down the list the more names I see that I recognize. Streetlight Manifesto is ska I'm pretty sure. The Descendents are pretty good, but I never good get really into them. Same with City & Color. Naked Raygun and the Buzzcocks are some of the original pop punk bands. Citizen, La Dispute, and Modern Baseball are all more recent punk/hardcore/posthardcore/whatever you want to call them bands that I have only heard of through my students. But it'll be half singing, half screaming type music.

Hopefully one of those ????? spots gets filled with Brand New, they're doing the other two Riot Fest dates and are from the same Long Island scene that Taking Back Sunday is from. They've got 4 albums, all 4 pretty different from each other.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

Who was that goddamn band you used to be the unofficial fanboy for that RS used to give you shtein about?