2008 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I'm going on Saturday to see the Phillies/Yankees.  Adam Eaton is starting against the Yankees.

Oh, joy.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2008, 07:40:59 PM
Honestly, I dont understand why people are worked up over who is named the starter for opening day. It is game 1 of 162, King Cole will pitch game two and many many times thereafter.

Opening Day starter in baseball = meaningless in the big picture of things.

1.  i have opening day tickets and wanted to see the King pitch

2.  Opening Day is a religious event and your starter is symbolic of who you think your best pitcher is...or it's supposed to.  Hamels was 15-5 last year and he can't get the nod?  Just terrible.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

I don't put much stock into that stuff. I just can't get worked into a fit of rage over whether it's Myers or King or even Moyer.

Myers will go out and throw a 3 hit shutout and you'll have fun.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2008, 07:55:19 PM
I don't put much stock into that stuff. I just can't get worked into a fit of rage over whether it's Myers or King or even Moyer.

me and you and going to butt heads all year over pop pop, aren't we?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2008, 07:40:59 PM
Honestly, I dont understand why people are worked up over who is named the starter for opening day. It is game 1 of 162, King Cole will pitch game two and many many times thereafter.

Opening Day starter in baseball = meaningless in the big picture of things.

Almost as meaningless as Thomas Tapeh being the Eagles "starting fullback" during player introductions and then Reid running a 4 reciever/1RB set on the first offensive play of the game.  

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SunMo on February 26, 2008, 08:00:36 PM

Probably, yeah. If he does dumb shtein I will call him on it. But most of the stuff he does is done by other managers too but he's ripped more because he's jolly ol Uncle Charlie.

He was a big reason that team won the division last year. He may be just another manager but those guys play for him and he was able to win despite all those injuries.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on February 26, 2008, 07:55:55 PM
shut it, homer.

Simmer down, Todd. Get out your pen and paper and get ready to cover some baseball this year.

Hey, you ever hear why your boy Marcus Hayes was removed from the beat?

ice grillin you

i dont think anyone is in a rage but its a stupid move and laughable that the reason behind it is that charlie sees some match up situation in the first few weeks that warrants it...id love to know what that is...

like sun said symbolism but also confidence in your future cy young award winner vs some guy that has barely proven to be a #2 in his career...its a friggin no brainer that hamels should start
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I'd say it's a reward for the wife beater being a team player and agreeing to return to the rotation.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 26, 2008, 08:05:47 PM

i dont think anyone is in a rage but its a stupid move and laughable that the reason behind it is that charlie sees some match up situation in the first few weeks that warrants it...id love to know what that is...

like sun said symbolism but also confidence in your future cy young award winner vs some guy that has barely proven to be a #2 in his career...its a friggin no brainer that hamels should start

Stop.

Symbolism? Confidence by being named OD starter?

Confidence is leaving King (or any pitcher) in to work out of a jam, or letting him get a bunt down, or something actually in a game circumstance.

This stuff is nothing but MB and sports radio fodder; not votes of confidence or symbolism.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2008, 08:04:02 PM
Quote from: SunMo on February 26, 2008, 08:00:36 PM

Probably, yeah. If he does dumb shtein I will call him on it. But most of the stuff he does is done by other managers too but he's ripped more because he's jolly ol Uncle Charlie.

He was a big reason that team won the division last year. He may be just another manager but those guys play for him and he was able to win despite all those injuries.

the guys would play for any manager...and get more wins under a competant one...this is not the same team as five years ago...and frankly the notion that these guys are a bunch of soft babies is played out....now is the time to have a manager that can lead the team to a title...charlie clearly is not that person...its funny to me that people act like there isnt anyone else in the world that could handle this team...like there isnt a players manager out there that can also properly manage a game......for some reason the media in the city fosters this idea that youre either nice and not a good manager or a good manager and an ahole....its simply not true yet many fans go along with this way of thinking

Quote from: Rome on February 26, 2008, 08:08:09 PM
I'd say it's a reward for the wife beater being a team player and agreeing to return to the rotation.

thats exactly my belief and something i said to sun ealier tonight

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2008, 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 26, 2008, 08:05:47 PM

Stop.

Symbolism? Confidence by being named OD starter?

Confidence is leaving King (or any pitcher) in to work out of a jam, or letting him get a bunt down, or something actually in a game circumstance.

This stuff is nothing but MB and sports radio fodder; not votes of confidence or symbolism.

you couldnt be wrong...does it change the season around of course not...but ask any pitcher and they will tell you how much it means to be named opening day starter...its very special to them...ask a young pitcher and he will tell you that it feels good to have the manager put you in that situation...

not to mention the strategical aspect of having your best pitcher against the other teams best pitcher

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2008, 08:05:31 PM
Quote from: MDS on February 26, 2008, 07:55:55 PM
shut it, homer.

Simmer down, Todd. Get out your pen and paper and get ready to cover some baseball this year.

Hey, you ever hear why your boy Marcus Hayes was removed from the beat?

I think he left the paper.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 26, 2008, 08:17:08 PM
not to mention the strategical aspect of having your best pitcher against the other teams best pitcher

I've got mixed feelings on the #1 vs #1 philosophy.  If thier best pitcher has a history of just dominating your hitters but you've had success against thier 2 and 3, then why not send one of your other pitchers to the mound the first game?  In other words, "concede" the loss on the first game and give yourself a better chance to win games 2 and 3.

Of course, that's really a playoff argument, not really suited for opening day.  Because of the length of the season and injuries and skipped starts, opening day is 1 out of maybe 5 or 6 times during the year that your #1 pitcher is going up against the opponent's #1 guy.