Get advice from smart people on medical procedures

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, January 12, 2011, 02:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

holic I took your advice. 2 nights ago I carb loaded before bed, I woke up at 2 and was back down around 330. Last night I didn't carb load and I was up at 2 and back down around 4. I also took a melatonin last night which didn't really work. I took off today and forced myself to sleep until 7 [I'm usually up at 530 whether I have to work or not]. The last few weeks I haven't been able to stay up later than 10, so I'm trying to throw my circadian rythym off so I can stay up later and maybe sleep a little later. Thinking about going to my doctor to get a temp fix like Lunestra which I've heard works really well.

Eagaholic

In a way this is good news since it doesn't sound like a low cortisol problem, which over long periods of time can lead to big problems. The somewhat newer generation of sleep drugs - Lunesta, Ambien and Sonata work pretty well generally and I think are best used just for what you are considering - an occasional and very short term fix to get a good night sleep. I'd think about starting with the lowest dose to avoid hangover in the am and if it doesn't work try a higher dose a night or two later, but before starting the new job. There's a chance you'll wake up feeling like a million bucks. Ambien also comes in a time release that is good for helping people who tend to wake up in the middle of the night. Down side of Lunesta, especially in a higher dose, is nasty metallic taste that can stay in the mouth all day. Ambien in more rare cases causes bizarre side effects, sometimes with people in a sleep walking type state but it is rare enough I wouldn't worry, just good to be aware of. Ambien will also probably be cheaper if insurance doesn't cover it. Just don't drink with any of these.

One other option you could try tonight is Benadryl, which is over the counter and therefore no need to see a doctor (again generic is a bit cheaper). It is more of a crap shoot and often doesn't work well after the first day or two but worth a shot to try and reset the sleep cycle. Hope you find something that works well.

Seabiscuit36

Ambien works well, but as Eagaholic said, the side effects are odd.  My wife occasionally takes them when she has a severe migraine.  She ends up seeing ghosts or people that arent there.  Oddly enough if you look it up, everyone see's the same thing.  An old lady sitting to your left.  Freaky. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on September 19, 2012, 01:22:43 PM
Ambien works well, but as Eagaholic said, the side effects are odd.  My wife occasionally takes them when she has a severe migraine.  She ends up seeing ghosts or people that arent there.  Oddly enough if you look it up, everyone see's the same thing.  An old lady sitting to your left.  Freaky.

Now I really want to try it

PoopyfaceMcGee

A chick I know mixed Ambien and hard liquor one night and was a legit zombie the next morning. She said she blacked out for at least 12-16 hours total.

Seabiscuit36

There's all kinds of weird reactions.  I mostly get a euphoric rush then fall asleep. 

Tiger Woods was obsessed with Ambien Sex
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

Quote from: FastFreddie on September 19, 2012, 02:17:32 PM
A chick I know mixed Ambien and hard liquor one night and was a legit zombie the next morning. She said she blacked out for at least 12-16 hours total.

sounds like a good cocktail to take when i fly to new orleans
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sgt PSN

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

Peroneal tendinitis... So rX is basically ibuprofen on the regular and exactly what Sarge said.

hbionic

Quote from: FastFreddie on November 25, 2012, 08:39:46 AM
Best way to deal with plantar fasciitis... Go.

Pretty much. Massage, and stretching your calf, foot before you get out of bed is another way. Grabbing a towel, sticking your foot in the middle of the towel and pulling on both ends, stretching the top of your foot is another way.

Last but not least, I purchased this one boot looking thing at Target for $30...its two velcro straps attached to this one curved plastic thing. One velcro straps around your ankle and the other the top of your foot, pulling on the top of your foot, keeping tension while you sleep. This helps relieve the pain and gets you back to normal. Getting arch supports also helps.

It's been a while for me, but the condition is getting a lot better. We must have walked easily 20-25 miles in New Orleans and not once did I wake up with pain. I still get pain here and there....but not as bad as it was when I first self-diagnosed myself about a year ago.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Tomahawk

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger