Sixers Off-Season Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, May 04, 2005, 08:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteSixers to extend King's contract

By PHIL JASNER
jasnerp@phillynews.com

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - The 76ers, it turns out, have one fewer free agent than they could have had.

That is because Billy King, the general manager since May 19, 1998, and the combination president/general manager since May 26, 2003, has a verbal agreement with chairman Ed Snider to extend his contract.

King's contract was due to expire after this season.

King will apparently continue in both roles, although he has been expanding the duties of senior vice president and assistant general manager Tony DiLeo. It is even possible that, down the road, DiLeo could become the general manager.

In any case King and DiLeo remain in position to deal with their free-agent players, primarily starting center Samuel Dalembert, starting small forward Kyle Korver and backup guard Willie Green. All are restricted; the Sixers can match any offer for Dalembert and can match offers for Korver and Green up to the average NBA salary, which will be roughly $5 million.

King has said repeatedly that he fully intends to match any offers for all three players.

King would not comment on his contractual situation, but has said he would like to add, among other things, either a big shooting guard or a point guard with perimeter skills. The latter move would allow Allen Iverson to spend more time at shooting guard, the position he played when the Sixers went to the Finals in 2001.

King, though, said he doesn't necessarily see the need for a major personnel move.

"Sometimes you can keep tinkering, tinkering, tinkering, and never get any continuity," he said before last night's game against the Detroit Pistons. "The year before we went to the Finals, everybody said we didn't make any moves and we wouldn't be any good. The way we looked at it was, our guys had been together and were getting used to playing together.

"Going into next season, Kyle and Willie will be in their third seasons, Samuel will be in his fifth. I think there are pieces that you need to add, but right now we don't need any more young guys. If we had our [first-round] pick this season, I don't think there would be somebody there who would make a big difference. I'd like to do what other teams do, which is add veterans, maybe guys on 1-year deals."

Step 1 was bringing back Billy King, which isn't drawing rave reviews on the radio. But I like it. I was critical of him early on, but I like what he's done the last two years. Once Larry left, Billy has brought in some good young talent.

So who's the "big shooting guard or the point with perimeter skills"? Any guesses or hopes?

I still want a defensive minded guy brought in first.

And a question...

Can they break up that MLE to sign several guys or must they blow it on one guy? I found the 1-year deals thing interesting.

Rome

QuoteKing, though, said he doesn't necessarily see the need for a major personnel move.

"Sometimes you can keep tinkering, tinkering, tinkering, and never get any continuity," he said before last night's game against the Detroit Pistons. "The year before we went to the Finals, everybody said we didn't make any moves and we wouldn't be any good. The way we looked at it was, our guys had been together and were getting used to playing together.

Utterly farging clueless.   :-D

Ed Wade is smarter than that idiot.   :paranoid

PhillyPhreak54

Ummmm....no way you're serious. And if you are, call 911 immediately, bro! :-D

hunt

phreak...i'm pretty sure they can split the MLE.  but only garbage players would make that little $$$.

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

hunt

hunt

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 04, 2005, 08:46:25 AM

So who's the "big shooting guard or the point with perimeter skills"? Any guesses or hopes?

pg- damon jones or jeff mcinnis  :sly
sg- demarr johnson or latrell spreewell :paranoid

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Mad-Lad

i would have said "yes" to Spree a couple years ago, but now there's no way in hell i'd want him on the roster.

Mcinnis is a knucklehead too.  Screw that!

hunt

i know.  i put spree on there as a joke. :-D

damon jones can knock down the 3 ball...i think he made more than korver this season.  he's only a rfa though...not sure they could steal him from miami with the MLE.
i don't like mcinnis either but i was throwing his name out there since he might take the MLE.

Mad-Lad

I like Korver a  lot, but agree with the masses that he shouldn't be starting.

I have no idea what the Sixers should do as far as free agency.  I'm not sure if Donyell Marshall is worth it.

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 04, 2005, 08:51:48 AM

The guy who cleans out my rain gutters would make a better Phillies GM than Ed Wade.   ;)

But I was serious about Billy King.  If he sees no need to immediately upgrade the talent on the Sixers, then he should be shtein-canned immediately.  The Sixers need defense, rebounding and shooting help.  If he can't see that, he's utterly farging clueless.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: mhunt on May 04, 2005, 08:54:10 AM
i might as well move that free agent link over here. :P

http://probasketball.about.com/od/newsrumorsopinion/a/nbateamneeds05_2.htm

I'd love to get Michael Redd, but there's no way in hell. I think he'll end up going to Cleveland if they can't land Ray Allen.

I'd also like to see Cat Mobley come back to Philly. But would he take the MLE?

I was hoping that Tayshaun Prince was a FA -- but he's not.

Isn't Dermarr Johnson that dude who broke his neck in a car accident while playing for ATL?

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: jerome99RIP on May 04, 2005, 09:13:32 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 04, 2005, 08:51:48 AM

The guy who cleans out my rain gutters would make a better Phillies GM than Ed Wade.   ;)

But I was serious about Billy King.  If he sees no need to immediately upgrade the talent on the Sixers, then he should be shtein-canned immediately.  The Sixers need defense, rebounding and shooting help.  If he can't see that, he's utterly farging clueless.

Well, the way I took his comment was that he doesn't need to make a major splash. That he doesn't (and couldn't even if he wanted to) import big name talent.

They need scrappy role players like that 2001 team. If they could get two guys like George Lynch on the defensive end (but with a jumpshot) and combine them with AI & CWebb and the youngin's...then I'm happy.

Mad-Lad

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 04, 2005, 09:15:00 AM
I'd love to get Michael Redd, but there's no way in hell. I think he'll end up going to Cleveland if they can't land Ray Allen.

Isn't Dermarr Johnson that dude who broke his neck in a car accident while playing for ATL?

Redd = awesome, but you're right.... there's no way in hell.

There's also no way in hell Mobley would take the MLE.

Demarr Johnson IS the kid that broke his neck.  Where's he at now, Denver?

hunt

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 04, 2005, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: mhunt on May 04, 2005, 08:54:10 AM
i might as well move that free agent link over here. :P

http://probasketball.about.com/od/newsrumorsopinion/a/nbateamneeds05_2.htm

yeah...dermarr is the broken neck guy.  although he's a big sg (6'9, i think), he wouldn't really fit obie's system.  he's not much of a shooter...more of an athletic, take it to the hoop sg.

cat made $5.884 mill this season so i don't think he'd take a paycut to accept the MLE...i think the MLE is around $4.5-5.0 mill...of course, it all depends on how much interest there is.  how's his defense, anyway?

jones is only 6'3 but can play both guard spots...he made around $2.5 mill this season.
mcinnis is 6'4 & plays good D...he made $3.6 mill.

redd will get near-max $$$ so that ain't happening.