Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on February 28, 2019, 09:35:13 PM
yo j paypal or cash app ya boi $60 for mlb tv...if you still like the phillies

I think I might get it for free this year bc season ticket holders with the Astros get it. Im the one who runs our account so I gotta read the email. If not then I'll send it to ya so I can watch and hope Harper isn't Gregg Jefferies or Danny Tartabull

Geowhizzer

Warning:  Click the link in the tweet at your own risk.  Eye bleach may be necessary.

https://twitter.com/JArrieta34/status/1101216574982172672

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

nice article from MM

QuoteCLEARWATER,​ Fla. — The cheering started sporadically​ down the left field​ line at Spectrum​ Field.

Amid​ a meaningless​ spring training​ game​​ Thursday afternoon, the news Phillies fans have anxiously waited for broke on Twitter: Bryce Harper had agreed to a 13-year, $330 million contract with Philadelphia. It is the largest guaranteed contract in American professional sports history. One Phillies fan yelled, "Bryce, woo!" after discovering the news. Another started a "Bry-ce Har-per!" chant. The ballpark buzzed.

Four fans sitting behind the coaches' seats next to the on-deck circle provided moment-by-moment updates to Phillies manager Gabe Kapler and pitching coach Chris Young.

"They were telling us terms and who was tweeting what," Kapler said. "We were like, 'Well, who's making the reports?' We've got to make sure this person is credible. ... They were holding their phones up so I could turn around and see the (tweets)."

Fittingly, the Phillies' starting right fielder this afternoon informed teammates of Harper's deal. Trevor Plouffe entered the clubhouse after being replaced in the fifth inning, grabbed a bottle of water and decided to check Twitter before working out. News of Harper's record contract filled his feed. Plouffe alerted the handful of players who lingered in the clubhouse, including pitchers Aaron Nola, Nick Pivetta and Zach Eflin.

"Seriously?" Nola replied.

"The first thing we all thought was 13 years is a long time," Plouffe said. "But obviously he thinks this is a place he can come and establish himself and look to win a World Series every year. That's why he was in that position. He could sign anywhere he wanted to and for him to choose the Phillies and the city of Philadelphia speaks volumes for the way things are going and trending here."

Nola and Harper faced off 36 times over the past four years. Now, instead of torturing Phillies fans at Citizens Bank Park, where he owns a .365 on-base percentage and .930 OPS with 14 home runs in 50 career games, Harper will get to put on a show for them. Any future battles with Nola will have to be resigned to live batting practice. Nola's happy with that trade-off.

"He's one of those guys in the lineup who can change the ballgame – he can change a ballgame with one swing," Nola said.

"Ultimately, at the end of the day, it's his decision. We can't control that. We're just glad he's with us now. ... He's coming to a good fan base. He's coming to an organization that cares about their players, families."

Hours earlier, Phillies managing partner John Middleton stood by the half field next to the complex's office entrance. He was casually observing pregame infield drills, what would end up being some of his last calm moments before the ensuing Harper-inspired excitement engulfed a fan base and energized the team.

Harper's deal is a triumph for Middleton. The organization's financial power was always going to be difficult for other organizations to contend with, and he delivered in luring a 26-year-old superstar to Philadelphia. These type of mega-free-agent deals don't happen without ownership's involvement and approval. Middleton signaled his seriousness with a trip to Las Vegas last Friday to meet with Harper, his wife and agent Scott Boras, though the groundwork for Middleton's commitment to building a winner began last offseason.

Eleven months and 15 days ago, Middleton watched Jake Arrieta put on his new red Phillies jersey at the right-hander's introductory press conference in Clearwater. Arrieta's $75 million guaranteed contract is part of $507.75 million the Phillies have spent on seven free agents in the past two offseasons. They also gave Nola a $45 million extension and took on the $60.4 million remaining on shortstop Jean Segura's contract. Nobody can claim the Phillies don't spend money.

"I think it sends a message," Middleton said on that morning last March. "It should. If I were sitting on another team, I'd say, hmm, these guys seem to be serious about this. ... We're serious about winning and we're going to do what it takes to win."

Middleton's "stupid" money comment could have haunted him this offseason. Some Phillies fans would not have easily forgiven ownership and the front office had the franchise missed out on both Manny Machado and Harper. Instead, Harper — who has a no-trade clause and no opt outs in the contract, according to sources — is positioned to be a Phillie for the rest of his career.

Middleton, meanwhile, is building an image as an owner for whom money is no object in creating a winner. Middleton has been a limited partner in the Phillies' ownership group since 1994, holding a 48 percent stake in the franchise. He was chosen as the team's control person and managing partner in November 2016. Attracting a superstar in Harper legitimizes Middleton's vision.

"Here's a newsflash for you: John wants to win," team president Andy MacPhail said on Feb. 15. "All of our ownership group wants to win."

Middleton and the front office have given Kapler and his staff the personnel to succeed. On paper, the Phillies' lineup is one of the best in the league. Another September collapse clearly won't be acceptable. Making the playoffs becomes a requirement. Winning the National League East title for the first time since 2011 is the standard; capturing the pennant and reaching the World Series is a realistic goal. With Harper in the fold, the pressure rises to deliver. The Phillies are in win-now mode.

"We all want to be on that platform, the biggest platform in the game and that's the World Series," Eflin said. "For an addition like this, it's definitely going to help that journey. Everybody in this clubhouse is ready to do that."
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

i dont know why this kinda shocks me but bryce harper is a year younger than mike trout

when trout is eligible for FA next he will be three years older than harper is now

just shows you how rare it is to have two guys as young and as good as harper and machado to be FA

smeags

Quote from: AO1 on February 28, 2019, 04:40:54 PM
The Mets will still be paying the Bobby Bonilla deal 4 years after Harpers contract expires

I tossed that lil bit of info to diehard yesterday. he re-acted in true mets fan fashion.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

mets are also paying bret saberhagen until 2029

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 01, 2019, 11:15:29 AM
mets are also paying bret saberhagen until 2029

Daryll Strawberry too although his debt was auctioned off by the IRS and is being paid out in monthly increments.

The Bonilla deferred payments were because the Mets ownership were making so much money in Madoff's ponzi scheme.

MDS

theres zero doubt they are going for trout in 2 years or that trout wants to come home...will it work who knows

but heres the thing: you can't have trout, harper, realmuto and hoskins all aging horribly in their mid 30s and all make a bunch of money. something's gotta give unless you want the worst team in baseball in 2028
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

does it really matter if they win a couple of world series

really even if they dont does it matter...i mean if they go bust with harper then who the farg cares if they suck at the end of his deal...all people are going to care about is how they never won in his prime

they are going to more than likely suck no matter what then....its whats they do in harpers 26 to 34 (and hopefully trouts 29-34) seasons that matters

MDS

i dont think this front office is going to sign themselves up for multiple seasons of bad baseball in exchange for a 4-5 year window. you can put a good team on the diamond even with a washed up trout/harper in 2029....you cant if youre also still paying a washed up realmuto and hoskins

obviously this upcoming window, with or without trout, is the chance, but they dont want it to be like it was post 2011 where you have 6 seasons in the wilderness

SD

Quote from: MDS on March 01, 2019, 01:24:40 PM
theres zero doubt they are going for trout in 2 years or that trout wants to come home...will it work who knows

but heres the thing: you can't have trout, harper, realmuto and hoskins all aging horribly in their mid 30s and all make a bunch of money. something's gotta give unless you want the worst team in baseball in 2028

Nobody in their right mind is signing a 27 year old catcher for 10 years.

MDS

im speaking in broad terms here mardigrassi....4 guys in their 30's all making big $ is not ideal.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds