Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

I don't think it was totally an overt reference to the Mountain. I think the point is that everyone has a role to play and they play it, sometimes regardless of any clear motivation or logic or reason.

Why is Tyrion driven to try to fit in to and make sense of a world that is designed to beat him down? Why is Jamie, who clearly has a moral compass, driven to do wholly immoral things by lust for his sister? Why does Baelish do anything that he does? Why are all of the Starks so farging stubborn and prideful and incapable of recognizing deception? And, of course, why is the mountain the way he is? Why did he push his brother's face into a fire? Why does he get pleasure out of raping and killing?

The answer is that it doesn't matter why. It just is. Trying to make sense of madness and chaos is a huge part of Tyrion's intelligence and a big reason that his character is so beloved. I think the conversation was just more of him trying to understand something that can't really be satisfactorily explained. He didn't commit a crime, but he's about to die for it anyway, so he's having a philosophical sad trying to wrap his head around the way the world is, but there's no good answer. Sometimes idiots just smash bugs because that's what they do.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

the mountain won't be doing much beyond being dead now. unless they go by the book and he dies a slow, painful death from the poision that was put on the blades of oberyn's weapons. (his squire was pictured wiping the poision on the blade).

wonder how the hound will react when he hears of his brother's death ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 08:53:09 AM
I don't think it was totally an overt reference to the Mountain. I think the point is that everyone has a role to play and they play it, sometimes regardless of any clear motivation or logic or reason.

Why is Tyrion driven to try to fit in to and make sense of a world that is designed to beat him down? Why is Jamie, who clearly has a moral compass, driven to do wholly immoral things by lust for his sister? Why does Baelish do anything that he does? Why are all of the Starks so farging stubborn and prideful and incapable of recognizing deception? And, of course, why is the mountain the way he is? Why did he push his brother's face into a fire? Why does he get pleasure out of raping and killing?

The answer is that it doesn't matter why. It just is. Trying to make sense of madness and chaos is a huge part of Tyrion's intelligence and a big reason that his character is so beloved. I think the conversation was just more of him trying to understand something that can't really be satisfactorily explained. He didn't commit a crime, but he's about to die for it anyway, so he's having a philosophical sad trying to wrap his head around the way the world is, but there's no good answer. Sometimes idiots just smash bugs because that's what they do.

This is a good post IMO

Munson

GRRM is great at making people have conflicting views on his characters.

For example...I absolutely hate Littlefinger for being the one responsible for Ned's death and everything that has gone on. However, I hope the small part of him that is motivated by revenge for what happened to Catelyn, and not his own power, drives him to farg shtein up for Tywin, Roose, and Walder Frey. Actively cheering for that, actually.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

rjs246

The complexity of the characters is one of the only redeeming qualities of his writing (the anything goes sex and violence soap opera drama being the other). Very few characters are entirely good or entirely evil and the ones who are the most interesting have conflict and motivations that are less than obvious.

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

wondering does this season actually wrap up book 3 ? there's still quite a bit that goes on at the wall. does stannis get there this week for the battle ?

rjs246

Yeah could be that they open next season with that. There are still two battles at the wall from the book and I doubt they'll spend both episodes on that. I'll bet the first battle will be next week and the big big death that's left will be the season finale. 

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

It's now been so long since I read these books that I can't remember most of what you all are talking about.  Which big big death?  If the Viper is gone that means Jof...oh. 

Now I remember the timeline.

Yeah, that's kinda big.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

this page has trended way close to potentially spoilerish stuff

Munson

Smeags in paricutlar >:(...though at least everything he said is stuff I already assumed was happening. We know Stannis is on his way North, the Wall seems like the most logical destination.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Also, some book readers have been talking about "LSH" during the season finale. I have no idea what they're talking about but they're all saying it's a big deal and think whatever it is will be the last scene of the season.

smeags

Quote from: Munson on June 03, 2014, 03:04:20 PM
Smeags in paricutlar >:(...though at least everything he said is stuff I already assumed was happening. We know Stannis is on his way North, the Wall seems like the most logical destination.

yeah sorry if that gave something away, i thought it was mentioned in the show that he was heading to the wall. 

Munson

Quote from: smeags on June 03, 2014, 03:41:00 PM
Quote from: Munson on June 03, 2014, 03:04:20 PM

yeah sorry if that gave something away, i thought it was mentioned in the show that he was heading to the wall.

I think all they've said so far is that he's going North. I assumed at first it was to try and rally Northern lords to his cause since they're all pretty unhappy with Roose Bolton, but with the battle of the Wall coming up next week and Melisandre knowing the White Walkers are the true enemy, I can see them heading straight for the Wall. I'm wondering if they get there just in time to "save the day", or if they show up before/after the battle.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 01:18:39 PM
Yeah could be that they open next season with that. There are still two battles at the wall from the book and I doubt they'll spend both episodes on that.

The next episode is entirely the Wall.  The raiding party that hit Mole's Town and Mance's large army north of the wall are converging simultaneously.

rjs246

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 03, 2014, 04:23:20 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 01:18:39 PM
Yeah could be that they open next season with that. There are still two battles at the wall from the book and I doubt they'll spend both episodes on that.

The next episode is entirely the Wall.  The raiding party that hit Mole's Town and Mance's large army north of the wall are converging simultaneously.

You may be right but that's definitely not how it happens in the book. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Let them eat bootstraps.