2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Helluva pilot, that guy.

Maybe Bronson Arroyo or Gil Meche would work?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 18, 2008, 11:11:14 PM
The farg is up with Utley?

Seems to be studying at the Ryan Howard Hitting Academy.

PhillyGirl

Oh wow...the Phils follow up a great stretch with a semi-slump and the world is in complete craziness and they won't make the playoffs now?

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

show one example of someone getting "crazy"

show one example of someone saying they wouldnt make the playoffs

your one post is way nuttier and off the handle than all the other posts combined
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

LBIggle

who cares if they make the playoffs.  they did that last year. 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: L-ong-B-each-I-ggle on June 19, 2008, 02:56:21 PM

Well, that was a lot better than the previous 14 years.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 19, 2008, 06:52:03 PM

and it was awesome...but now its time to win a championship

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 19, 2008, 07:41:53 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 19, 2008, 06:52:03 PM

and it was awesome...but now its time to win a championship

Isn't happening, not without another starting pitcher.

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Stark:

QuotePhretting in Philly: With the help of a number of clubs that have spoken with the Phillies, we've assembled this shopping list of starting pitchers it appears they've at least kicked tires on: Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Bronson Arroyo and (surprisingly) Jarrod Washburn. Bedard just hit the market, so you can add his name any minute now.

But those same clubs say the Phillies might have the hardest decisions to make of just about any team with win-the-World Series upside. If they go for it now -- and decimate their still-thin system to deal for a big-name rent-a-pitcher like Sabathia or Burnett -- this might be the only year they'd be capable of contending.

To make a trade like that, they'd probably have to give up both of their two most advanced starting-pitching prospects, Carlos Carrasco and Antonio basticho. So if they lose Brad Lidge and their rent-a-starter to free agency, and Jamie Moyer retires, Brett Myers doesn't rebound and Adam Eaton's first half turns out to be a mirage, the Phillies' pitching staff next year would essentially consist of Cole Hamels, Kyle Kendrick, J.C. Romero, Ryan Madson, an uncertain Myers and seven question marks.

"So that's a tough call," said one NL executive. "Do you say, 'Go for it, and the hell with next year'? Or do you think big picture, but maybe not have enough [pitching] to win this year? It's a scary choice to have to make."

I also read that he said they inquired about Ryan Freel too.

He would be an ideal guy to have on the bench.

Burnett is nothing special and gets hurt a lot.

Arroyo is not really better than what they already have

Washburn is no good

CC is the only one I would want (no shtein?)

MDS

Sabathia is the only one who would make a difference.

The franchise is going down the tubes when Amaro takes over next year anyway, might as well go out swinging.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

reese125

nobody will say shtein if they win a world championship. I think everyone is just a little tired of the "stay competitive for years to come" concept. That goes for all Philly sports. Its about time just one of these friggin sports teams goes for broke. I cant see why these gm's dont see whats going on around them

You think anyone is going to care that that much if the Celtics are mediocre next year, or the Patriots dont make the playoffs, or the Red Sox etc. Though the chances are probably slim, still in the end its all about the trophy and if you hold one people can cope with a lost season/s--then you rebound