The Race(ism)/Hate Thread

Started by ice grillin you, May 17, 2006, 08:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

No, they don't play hockey. They love watching white folks beat the hell out of each other.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Drunkmasterflex

I remember one time I was watching the old Chris Rock show on HBO and he was asking why there were no more good white boxers.  There were a variety of answers like "they have no rhythm" "I don't know but they sure can take a beating" but the best answer was by this old black guy " I don't know why they can't box but they sure can play quarterback." That was some funny ass shtein. 

As far as the rest of the thread goes I agree that racism is live and well across the board.  But to me saying that it is still as bad as 40 years ago is ridiculous.  It is not good but you can't tell me that it is nearly that bad, just look at interracial relationships you think that would fly back then as it does today? We have a lot of work to do as a society but progress has been made, though there is plenty more to be made. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Rome

QuoteBush Wants Newcomers to Know English

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer 40 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The White House took both sides in a dispute over English being the national language Friday as a broad immigration bill moved toward a final Senate vote next week with one conservative predicting it will never become law.

Bush's support for the dueling sides doesn't stray from his long-held view on learning English, said White House press secretary Tony Snow.

"What the president has said all along is that he wants to make sure that people who become American citizens have a command of the English language," Snow said. "It's as simple as that."

The Senate on Thursday approved an amendment sponsored by Sen. James Inhofe (news, bio, voting record), R-Okla., that would declare English the national language. But it also approved an alternative proposal sponsored by Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., designating English the nation's "common and unifying language." Before the vote on the alternative, Inhofe warned his colleagues, "You can't have it both ways."

The White House seemed to. "We have supported both of these," Snow said of the two amendments.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, speaking Friday in Houston, added to the confusion.

"The president has never supported making English the national language," Gonzales said, adding, "I don't see the need to have legislation or a law that says English is going to be the national language."

As governor of Texas and a presidential candidate in 2000, Bush supported bilingual education programs. He sprinkles Spanish into his presidential speeches and has released political commercials in Spanish. But he also has said the national anthem should be sung in English.

The president plans to address immigration reform in his weekly radio address Saturday. He has generally favored a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and a guest worker program that would bring more foreigners to the U.S. to fill jobs. Both are central elements of the bill before the Senate.

Sen. Jeff Sessions (news, bio, voting record), R-Ala., an ardent opponent of the bill conceded Friday it is likely to pass next week. "The Senate should be ashamed of itself," he said. But he also predicted to reporters that it won't become law unless House and Senate negotiators rewrite it.

The adoption of Inhofe's amendment drew a heated protest Friday from Latinos.

John Trasvina, president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said the amendment could be misinterpreted and lead to a cutback in services for those not proficient in English.

"Latinos don't need a law passed to say we ought to learn English. There are long waiting lists for adult English classes," Trasvina said. "It's false patriotism to pass an amendment to say you ought to learn English and not fulfill your responsibility of providing the opportunities."

New Mexico Sen. Pete Domenici (news, bio, voting record), the only Republican to reject the Inhofe proposal, said the country should "move beyond the notion that English, and English only, will ensure the future of the United States.

:-D

As if enacting a "national" or "official" language in this country will have any effect on immigration problems.

Just more self-serving, xenophobic, patronizing stupidity from the clueless, bumbling fargtards in Washington.   :-D :-D

Phanatic

No shtein! I gotta think there's some real legislation and work to be done by these yahoo's. The official language bill ranks right up there with the flag burning Bill when it comes to a waste of time...
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Geowhizzer

Not saying that I approve of making English an "official" language, but here is my opinion:

I have taught many students, living in Florida, that are dropped off at school and placed in my 8th grade U.S. History class.  I've had students that are fresh from their home country, whether Mexico, in Central or South America, or any other country (I've had one from the Czech Republic) dropped in my class because of their age.  These students don't know a smidge of English, and I don't speak their language, either (I have some elementary "get by" Spanish, but not enough to effectively teach a Spanish-speaking student).

These children should be getting basic English classes, but because of the way the law is written (called the "least restrictive environment" law), it is actually illegal to separate students merely on the basis of language.  I'm not saying take them out of all their classes, but taking them out of Social Studies (or another subject, such as computers or the such) in order to learn the language would be to me a better use of school time for these students.

Their parents should also be getting basic English lesson.  It's quite obvious that it would be extremely important.  Even thogh English isn't the official language, it is necessary to succeed in the United States to at least have a basic command of English.  Some way, some how everyone in the U.S. should learn to speak English, but it is qutie obvious that isn't happening.

Feva

Quote from: rjs246 on May 19, 2006, 05:42:52 PM
Black people eat fried chicken and don't like hockey.

You been tapping my phone?

Quote from: General_Failure on May 19, 2006, 06:01:02 PM
No, they don't play hockey. They love watching white folks beat the hell out of each other.

Yeah, it does give me a certain satisfaction.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

rjs246

Quote from: EagleFeva on May 21, 2006, 10:18:48 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on May 19, 2006, 05:42:52 PM
Black people eat fried chicken and don't like hockey.

You been tapping my phone?

I'm encouraged to see someone with a sense of humor about themselves. You, my friend, are in short supply.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

If all the stereotypes are accurate, there's plenty of him to go around.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

White people are good at accounting and know the words to Billy Joel songs.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Butchers Bill

I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Butchers Bill on May 21, 2006, 11:05:51 PM
:paranoid

We know you're a Billy Joel fanatic... Don't tell me you're an accountant, too...?

Butchers Bill

I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Rome

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

its that time of year to make your tax deduction donations...if anyone is torn on where to send some money southern poverty law center is the spot...they are worthy

http://www.splcenter.org/index.jsp

even if you dont....go ahead and peruse their site they really are true american heroes

make sure to check their map to find your very own friendly neighborhood hate mongers

http://www.splcenter.org/index.jsp
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous