What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Quote from: Diomedes on December 14, 2020, 08:51:22 AM
I can't imagine the worries you must have facing the prospect of your kid becoming an actual rock star.  Good luck to you all.

You know, there are legit concerns that I do actually have. He already has some stalker sort of fans; I get worried about people looking for my house, or thinking about stealing his gear. The pandemic sucks, but if I'm being honest, I was glad he didn't get into the big studio this year. They wanted him to go out on tour before he finished high school, and I was going to have to be the big bad guy there because I want him to cook as much and normally as possible before launching him into the weird world. So far, he's been successful enough to have some cool stories to tell...but I don't want it to affect his development as a person. Not that anyone really developed as a person this year anyway, I guess. It's not like it's the dream of a 16 year old to see their record deals and gigs crumble as they're forced to spend 24 hours a day with their parents.

General_Failure

Aside from the stalkers, theft, and exhausting road trips, the contracts are the real killer. It's not uncommon to come to the end of the contract in debt and not even owning your own music.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Zanshin

Yep. That's been a major consideration for him turning things down to this point. The deal he has in place when the world opens up allows him to own all of his publishing rights. I mean, who knows...the music industry was in disarray before Covid, and now it's a ghost town of the wild west.

Diomedes

Quote from: Zanshin on December 14, 2020, 10:47:33 AM...own all of his publishing rights...

Dylan just sold the rights to almost everything he ever wrote...for $300M...after enjoying a lifetime of royalties.   
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

Yes, that's where it's at. It used to be that people would tour to support an album. But no one is buying music and the streaming services are killing musicians, so now the albums support the tours, which is the only way to make money. And now that Covid killed concerts, you're seeing a lot of musicians, even known guys, doing what they can for money. Weird times for music. Well, I mean...just weird times for everything, I suppose.

Rome

I don't know if you guys have ever heard of Lloyd Cole (Lloyd Cole & the Commotions) but my wife and I have known him casually for over 35 years.  He made it pretty big at one point and he's still a touring musician with a dedicated following.  Anyway, he's gone through hard times lately and is also doing what he needs to do to get by.  He's way more fortunate than most of his contemporaries, though. 

COVID has farging ravaged so many lives.  It's goddamn heartbreaking.

Anyway, cool news about Jake, dude.  Imagine being that talented at that age.  Just amazing.

PhillyPhreak54

Good stuff! I follow his stuff on FB when I see it pop up and he's loaded with talent obviously.

It's helpful that he's got you there to help him navigate an industry that is exploitative. The pause button being hit with concerts and live events has probably helped him not grow up too fast as far as wanting to get into things before he's ready.

Zanshin

Exactly, all about trying to make the best of the situations you find yourself in.

ice grillin you

This is The Ringers song of the year....my cousin

https://youtu.be/LdbHO_KhCig
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Zanshin

Ha...this place is haunting. A bill came out today that my son is on, and one of the artists he's playing with is Steve Earle. Did I think of his catalog of cool songs first? No. My first thought was, that farger was in The Wire.

General_Failure

Of of my favorite bands is probably done, the bassist/backup vocalist is retiring because he's sick of the music industry. https://twitter.com/MarkoHietala_/status/1348902536498073602

Zanshin

Generally, if you've spent time in any industry....you're sick of that industry. Good luck finding one that isn't rife with bullshtein.

General_Failure

On the plus side, at least it wasn't pictures of him inside the Capitol covered in nazi merch like some other musicians I've seen.

Diomedes

Steve Earle's cover of State Trooper is all world. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome