Marcus Smith, OLB, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, May 08, 2014, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phanatic

Weird shtein happens when you've got a 1st year rah rah college coach.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Don Ho

QuoteOverall, Smith doesn't look like an ideal pass-rusher, and he needs some polish to his game. He likely won't start right away, but that doesn't matter in Philadelphia. With such a high-paced offense to play alongside, the defense will have plenty of pass-rushing snaps to rotate him into.

:-o
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

BigEd76

Quote from: SD on May 08, 2014, 11:21:34 PM
Would rather have traded the pick to the Dolphins for Dion Jordan.

I realize the Big East/American isn't the Pac-12, but Smith had as many sacks this season as Jordan had in his 4-year Oregon career

I'm not gonna go Homer J here because I'm not excited about the pick, but this isn't Jon Harris all over again

Don Ho

Oh my god!  Jon Harris!  I still have sleepless nights over that pick.

more tidbits

Quote"Marcus Smith is a pretty exciting edge player. The important thing ultimately is 'can this kid play?' They have Connor Barwin on one side and Trent Cole, who will turn 32 years old, on the other. In that scheme he's a perfect fit. The pick attacks an area of need for the Eagles, and they got some extra picks in the process." -- Mike Mayock
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm not bursting at the seams with excitement but I am fine with the pick.

I like taking defense
I like taking a guy who will get pressure
I like productivity

Their lack of pressure was a huge impediment to success. Cole is older and not suited for a 3-4 (despite his late season burst of sacks), Barwin is a nice player but what else do they have on the outside?

I mentioned Greg Jennings and Brandon Marshall the other day as guys who didn't play against elite competition but ultimately produced and that translated to success in the NFL. Both of those guys I was in favor of the Eagles taking.

Does Smith fit the mold of a first rounder? Doesn't seem like it. But at the bottom of the round you can take a guy like this if you're confident in him. They're trusting the tape. And one thing to remember about Kelly is his eye for talent in the college ranks.

Eagaholic

my guess is that Chip isn't especially happy with this pic either and they couldn't get a deal done in time to trade back again.

MDS

if hes good - hooray chip
if hes bad - booo chip

and such
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

Smartest guys in the room.

I'm still pissed.  farg these guys.

Seabiscuit36

I went to bed at the 24th pick.  Knew they'd farg this up. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on May 09, 2014, 12:51:37 AM

Smith had as many sacks this season as Jordan had in his 4-year Oregon career

so did vernon gholston the year he was drafted...shtein maybe the eagles should take michael sam in the second round tonight....hes super productive

one day hopefully people will be able to know the difference between production and talent...if you think the guys gonna be a great edge rusher or even think hes gonna be a great 3-4 backer then fine make the argument...no one is saying hes a bum....but don't refer to how many sacks he had in a particular season...its better to have 14 sacks than zero I suppose...but for the most part production is a nice word in the 6th round....it doesn't mean a whole lot in the first
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: BigEd76 on May 09, 2014, 12:51:37 AM

I realize the Big East/American isn't the Pac-12, but Smith had as many sacks this season as Jordan had in his 4-year Oregon career

I'm not gonna go Homer J here because I'm not excited about the pick, but this isn't Jon Harris all over again

Jordan is longer and has a higher ceiling. I don't necessarily mind the pick, I just hate that they reached.

SD

Has Howie ever taken a good pash rusher? Graham, Teo, Curry

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on May 09, 2014, 08:29:16 AM
Has Howie ever taken a good pash rusher? Graham, Teo, Curry

nope

imo tho this is a chipper pick all the way and he doesn't have a track record yet of failure at the position like you just mentioned with howie...so while I think the place they took smith was pretty absurd and I don't see the possibility for greatness in him I will keep an open mind and hope that chips long and versatile philosophy is the right one
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

When stuff like this happens, the Eagles reaching or taking someone other than the obvious choices...ever notice the fans are always right and they never prove us wrong?

TexasEagle

I'm not about to pretend I know anything about this guy (or 90% of the players in the draft) but it was a head scratcher pick. Hopefully he plays well.

After Cooks went to NO there was no pick that would have satisfied everyone I know, but who would you guys have preferred they picked? Serious question here because I don't follow players in college football, just teams.