Training Camp Report For 04 August

Started by PhillyPhreak54, August 04, 2005, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Another sweltering day up in the Lehigh Valley. The morning practice wasn't too bad because there was a little breeze. But the afternoon was on fire. I left early from the afternoon session because it wasn't much worth seeing. Just drills mostly.

I was worried I picked the wrong field, but I got to see quite a bit of stuff. I missed the WRs/QBs work early on but did see TO's great catch from afar. And I got to see where he got hurt later on because it was right in front of us mostly.

The practice seemed to start off slow, but the LBs made the intensity pick up. Trotter, Adams and Jones were single-handedly responsible for getting the guys going with their hitting.

Anyways on with the tidbits:

1. I'll start with none other than TO - He made an excellent over-the-shoulder catch against Rod Hood early in the morning and then when he scored he spiked the ball over his back.

2. TO caught another beauty of a pass from McNabb later on in team drills. He had Dexter Wynn on him and Matt Ware was playing some safety with Considine in there too. They were playing zone coverage and Wynn let TO go and Ware was late getting over to him. This is the play I believe TO hurt his groin on because he was limping a little afterwards. TO tossed the ball into the crowd to a little kid after scoring and stupid security made the kid give it back. That was messed up.

3. Where I noticed TO was a bit gimpy was when they were doing running drills. TO, who we all know is a great blocker, couldn't get around in front of Rod Hood to block and seal the edge. Hood made the tackle. TO then went off the field and spoke to Rick Burkholder. TO then went over and sat in the trainers tent and you could see him trying to stretch it out. Then they decided to take him in and you could see him limping to the cart a littlt bit.

4. As I mentioned above, Matt Ware played a little safety today.

5. Bruce Perry had a good day. He was running with authority and he had the long run of the day - about 25-30 yards - on a cutback play. Bruce started inside and Stephen Spach (playing FB this time) sealed the corner and Perry cut back and took off. Nice moves. Perry has bulked up too.

6. Mike Patterson was murdering guys in the 1-1 drills. Like I said yesterday, his first step is fast as hell. He did get seriously owned by Shawn Andrews later on, but Andrews has been killing guys consistently. Patterson is also part of the wedge on KOR's.

7. Norm Heuer and Steve Sciullo got into the first scrap of the camp. They were going at it hard and Heuer took offense to it and they started going at it until Juan Castillo stopped them.

8. Todd Herremans was playing first team LT today. I was somewhat shocked to see him in there. He looked half decent too. Artis Hicks slid back inside to LG.

9. Trey Darilek was taking snaps as the 2nd team C today since Jamaal Jackson is hurt again (torn triceps).

10. Jevon Kearse was virtually unstoppable today. He had 3 "sacks". Twice he beat Runyan straight up and the other time he beat a Runyan-Whalen double-team.

11. ND Kalu had his second very good day. Like yesterday, he had one sack today and his first step is there.

12. Darwin Walker made a few nice plays in the backfield too.

13. Keith Adams brought the bullet out today. He smoked Perry and someone else as they tried to run outside and then did his little dance. He was layin' wood.

14. Dhani took a shot at LJ after he caught the ball in a no-contact drill (just a shove) and LJ turned around and threw the ball at him and told him off.

15. After this is when the defense and offense started jawing back and forth and Reid yelled "Hey, hey...shut up. All of you It was weird to see Big Red hollering at guys, but kinda cool.

16. Trotter's mouth (and shoulder pads) were going a mile a minute today. Whether he was talking trash or congratulating Labinjo (he kept yelling "Go get 'em 'Binjo! Knock 'em out, 'Binjo!".) Trotter was vocal and revved up today.

17. Big Red also jumped in Rod Hood's butt during a kickoff return drill -- Rod fumbled a kickoff but picked it back up. After the return he was kinda loafing back to the goalline for his next turn and Andy told him to get a move on it and quit sulking.

18. Norm Heuer was taking some snaps at DE today too. He's not real good.

19. Jamaal Green has had two nice days. Today he was playing like his hair was on fire. Getting good pressure and anchoring his spot well in run defense.

20. Reno Mahe was excellent again today. That makes two days where Reno has done great and I'm shocked. He had a beautiful catch on a fade from Donny Mac after he went in motion and set up at WR. Donovan tossed up a nice little fade and Reno hauled it in. He also ran well and ran well inside, which shocked me as well. Reno is determined, guys.

21. McNabb threw one bad pass all day and it was a swing pass to Buck that was too high. He was on target the rest of the day from what I saw. Nice touch passes.

22. Reggie Brown, who struggled in team drills yesterday, looked much better today. He made several nice grabs. I was impressed with his quickness in and out of cuts. He's not TO big, but he has nice size to him and I really like what I see so far.

23. One of my sleepers, Robert Redd, had another nice day. He doesn't get much time on offense, but when he does he makes the most of it. He is also returning kicks.

24. Billy McMullen flat out stunk today. Such a shame with him because he looks the part of an NFL WR. I am still rooting for him to put it together, but I just don't know.

25. Stephen Spach is doing well too and even lining up at FB here and there. He is ahead of Andy Thorn, IMO.

26. James Whalen is not a good blocker, but he has soft hands. He made two nice grabs down the seam.

27. L.J Smith was very good today. He rebounded from a tough day yesterday.

28. Keyonta Marshall had the play of the day - He tipped a McMahon pass and INT'd it. He then took of rumbling down the sideline and lateraled it to David Bergeron. The officials (there were zebras there today) flagged him for a forward pass though. But very nice tip drill and run.

29. Andy Hall sucks. He tossed up some ugly ducklings today. It was bad.

30. McMahon looked better today and Koy looked off a bit.

31. I can't say enough about Shawn Andrews, guys. Flat out mauling people.

32. Jon Ritchie is lookin good too. He doesn't look any different at all to me. Still leading the way, catching balls and is part of the wedge on KOR too.

33. Hugh Douglas had a "sack" today too. He made a nice swim-move and got inside to Koy. Hugh looks slimmer than last year and has the power back in his arm (he was knocking guys around in 1-1's).

34. And finally, Buck looked strong again today. I'm not really looking at the results of his runs, but more or less him cutting, accelerating and stuff like that.

As always, feel free to ask questions just in case I missed something....

PhillyPhreak54

Oh yeah -- TO and McNabb came out to the field together today from the fieldhouse.

rjs246

I love this shtein. You need to get yourself a Treo and give us updates throughout the day.

F'ing McMullen, man. He had such soft hands in school, this has got to be mental. Oh well.
The idea of our LBs being a strength on defense is a nice change. We've sort of been 'making due' for the past few years.

Well done Phreak.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Eaglez

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they are together...

Great report bro. How are the crowds there this year? Keep hydrated! It's hot as a mofo in those valleys.

Keep us updated! You're my only link to TC this year.

MURP

thanks for the update Phreak!   

Just face the facts, McMullen sucks.

I read another camp report elsewhere and they to said that Andrews was dominating everyone.  football wood for Andrews. 

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 04, 2005, 08:42:50 PM
Oh yeah -- TO and McNabb came out to the field together today from the fieldhouse.

LOL...funny how not one media outlet caught THAT tidbit, yet they catch everytime he farts.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 04, 2005, 08:37:08 PM
5. Bruce Perry had a good day. He was running with authority and he had the long run of the day - about 25-30 yards - on a cutback play. Bruce started inside and Stephen Spach (playing FB this time) sealed the corner and Perry cut back and took off. Nice moves. Perry has bulked up too.

I remember reading a few weeks ago how he got bigger and put on all of this muscle to help prevent him from injuries as much as possible. I'd love to see this kid make the team because all of the tapes I watched of him and everything I read, leads me to believe he could be something pretty special...if he could only make it through a full season without an injury.

Quote6. Mike Patterson was murdering guys in the 1-1 drills. Like I said yesterday, his first step is fast as hell. He did get seriously owned by Shawn Andrews later on, but Andrews has been killing guys consistently. Patterson is also part of the wedge on KOR's.

Man, that is a quote that makes me drool with anticipation. Working against each other is going to help both of these guys so much and make each other SO much better.

Quote13. Keith Adams brought the bullet out today. He smoked Perry and someone else as they tried to run outside and then did his little dance. He was layin' wood.

SOOOO happy this guy is back.  :yay

Quote14. Dhani took a shot at LJ after he caught the ball in a no-contact drill (just a shove) and LJ turned around and threw the ball at him and told him off.

15. After this is when the defense and offense started jawing back and forth and Reid yelled "Hey, hey...shut up. All of you It was weird to see Big Red hollering at guys, but kinda cool.

Saw all of this on DNL tonight...and the Scuillo fight. Laughed my ass off.

Quote19. Jamaal Green has had two nice days. Today he was playing like his hair was on fire. Getting good pressure and anchoring his spot well in run defense.

I love hearing this.

Quote24. Billy McMullen flat out stunk today. Such a shame with him because he looks the part of an NFL WR. I am still rooting for him to put it together, but I just don't know.

"I told you so"  :-D

Quote31. I can't say enough about Shawn Andrews, guys. Flat out mauling people.

I think I might get an Andrews jersey this year. I wanted to last year, but Sheldon was my first choice. I love this kid, though.

Excellent recap, as always. Thanks Phreak!  :yay
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Phreak, your reports are awesome.  Very informative.

Two things:

1.  Herremans = Manneans!
2.  Team Patterson is pleased with progress thus far.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 04, 2005, 08:37:08 PM
2. TO caught another beauty of a pass from McNabb later on in team drills. He had Dexter Wynn on him and Matt Ware was playing some safety with Considine in there too. They were playing zone coverage and Wynn let TO go and Ware was late getting over to him. This is the play I believe TO hurt his groin on because he was limping a little afterwards. TO tossed the ball into the crowd to a little kid after scoring and stupid security made the kid give it back. That was messed up.

Phreak, thanks for the awesome updates. It sucks down here in D.C listen to the Skins dribble on the radio. It's much appreciatted...

How did Considine look in coverage? Do they have him in against the run at all? STs?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Eaglez on August 04, 2005, 09:00:27 PM
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they are together...

Great report bro. How are the crowds there this year? Keep hydrated! It's hot as a mofo in those valleys.

Keep us updated! You're my only link to TC this year.

Yesterday they said 9400 people were there (how the hell they count, I don't know) but it was packed as hell.

Today wasn't too bad. And I used my super-detective skillz to scope out which fields they'd be on and get a good spot before everyone flocked to that area. They were on that far field back against the hill today for most of the stuff. The fields are in HORRIBLE shape. Lehigh should be ashamed.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Eagles not go back there next year after the fields being zesty and Lehigh being dicks about not working with the Eagles on the autograph thing. Its a clusterfarg.

I take my own water jug ($3 goddamn bucks for a bottle of water) and it helps big time. I got burnt today despite putting on sunscreen. Felt like Texas all over again...

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MURP on August 04, 2005, 09:06:24 PM
thanks for the update Phreak!   

Just face the facts, McMullen sucks.

I read another camp report elsewhere and they to said that Andrews wasnt dominating everyone.  football wood for Andrews. 

My pleasure, man. I enjoy doing it. I wish I could take everyday off of work and do nothing but go up to camp.

I think Andrews is almost to the point of where he can pull a Mortal Kombat move and just point his finger at guys and they'll drop dead. He is going to wear DTs down this year. No human can withstand 60 minutes of Big Nasty pounding on them.

WEST is GOD

Spach in 05.

He's making the team, people. The guy is a flat out stud.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on August 04, 2005, 08:55:07 PM
The idea of our LBs being a strength on defense is a nice change. We've sort of been 'making due' for the past few years.

And think of all the reactions to the heart of the LBs when he first returned:

http://www.concretefield.com/forum/index.php?topic=11305.0

:-D

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 04, 2005, 09:15:17 PM
I remember reading a few weeks ago how he got bigger and put on all of this muscle to help prevent him from injuries as much as possible. I'd love to see this kid make the team because all of the tapes I watched of him and everything I read, leads me to believe he could be something pretty special...if he could only make it through a full season without an injury.

The 4th RB spot is going to be a tough call. Reno Mahe, despite the fun we poke at him, is battling his BYU ass off. And I don't know if Big Red will keep 4 RB's, but I think the play of Reno & Perry will force him to think.

Both guys are on STs, both are returning kicks (Moats too) so it is going to be a tough choice.

I would bet that Perry ends up on the PS though. But it'll be nice to watch them fight for it in the preseason games.

rjs246

I still kind of want Trotter to eat shtein through a straw but he and JJ's defense just fit together like nothin else.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.