Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: MDS on January 25, 2023, 06:22:41 PM
being better than garbage like phil rizzuto and alan trammel does not qualify you

i watched jimmy's entire career and at no point did i ever think i was watching a generational talent or even a special player. except for that one season.

Way to move the goal posts

If his offensive and defensive stats are better than 2/3s of the shortstops in the hall of fame - let's just throw an mvp and world series ring on top of that - he's hof worthy. Sucks for you you didnt appreciate him.

"You can watch Jimmy, but you can't see Jimmy."

PhillyPhreak54

Jimmy deserves it. But he especially deserves it now since guys like Rolen are making it.

What amuses me is how a dude gets like 10% one year and then ends up making it after a few years. Like what changed?

Process is broken. And the baseball writers have ruined it. Just like when a legit HOF comes along and some schmoe doesn't vote for that guy just so he's not unanimously elected. Or because they refuse to first ballot people.

MDS

the process has always been broken...the classes in the 40s and 50s were complete farces half the time. so crappy guys get in then 20 years later people use that as a barometer to put other zesty guys in and on and on it goes and now we have marginassi pointing to alan trammel as justification for jimmy rollins.

this has been going on for forever but once you get a HOF vote you never lose it. so guys who stopped covering baseball continue to vote until they croak. so dudes are deciding on guys they never saw or followed, they listen to what other people tell them and thats how scott rolen can get in after 7 ballots or whatever it was.

the whole thing needs to be blown up. hall of fame of debates do not need to exist. you know it when you see it. bryce harper. its there. no debate. mike trout. roy halladay. jimmy rollins. lol get the farg out of here.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

The modern game is still producing guys like Pujols, Kershaw, Trout, Verlander, Ichiro, so I don't know why they are messing around with the Rolens of the world. Well, actually I do know, it's because they have a gaping hole in the eligible players because of the 20 steroid guys they won't put in there.

If there's gonna be debates let them be about someone like Yadi where there were big holes in his game but he was freakish good at particular things. At least someone like that will still stand out as unique when someone reads his plaque 50 years from now.

MDS

chase is also an interesting debate because his argument is entirely derived around his positional value. hes the best 2B of his era but in the marco his offensive performance is merely good. compared to everyone at his position hes elite. do you weigh a player in the pocket of larger players or among the other people who happened to play his position?

this is where it hurts jimmy because he was never a top 5 SS in his era. but theres good reason for that...the weakest non catcher offensive player gets stashed at 2B
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

If Scott Rolen belongs in the HOF, that's fine.  But you better open it up to roughly a thousand other guys who were every bit as good as him and didn't spend the last seven years of their careers on and off the DL like rotisserie chickens.

And Rollins belongs in the Hall, period end of story.

MDS

i think the perfect romey post just occurred

makes a valid, almost perfect point then follows it up with something utterly insane. god i love him

MDS

QuoteThe Phillies took a high school pitcher with their first-round pick in 2021, the second time in a row they'd done so, and so far both of those prospects look very promising. Painter was the second of those two picks and he's quickly become their best prospect, dominating at three levels as a 19-year-old last year with two plus pitches and a good chance he'll end up with a third. He's huge, 6-7, listed at 215 but probably 10-15 pounds stronger than that already, and could just bully hitters with his fastball in Low A, where he started 2022. He's already working at 94-97 mph over full starts and can reach 99, coming from a high three-quarter slot that makes his two-plane curveball at 76-81 even more devastating. He also throws both pitches for strikes, even improving his control as he moved up the ladder — he walked just two of 109 hitters he faced in Double A, his lowest walk rate at any of the three levels where he pitched. He does have a changeup that projects to a 55 but he barely uses it, while he has a slider that is behind the curveball in effectiveness and isn't as hard as it should be given his fastball velocity. Painter won't even turn 20 until April, so he has a lot of time to continue developing, but also a lot of time to get hurt, unfortunately. His delivery is good and he repeats it well, but we've seen way too many guys like him get hurt on their way to the majors to ignore the possibility here. If your crystal ball says he'll stay healthy, he's a top-10 prospect in baseball, and might have a case to be in the top 6.

an absolutely insane write up on painter...keith law is such a pathetic liberal cuck its amazing

ice grillin you

22. Philadelphia Phillies

Three really good pitching prospects, three very good hitting prospects, and then a bit of a ... let's say a shelf, rather than a cliff, as there are plenty of potential middle relievers and extra outfielders in the system. They also have a couple of draft flops who are young enough that the new player development regime might still salvage something, although I value them here as if they're org players. The arrow is pointing up, which is very good news even if it just means more players to trade to keep the big-league club contending.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Trucks rolled out to Clearwooder today.

Geowhizzer

76ers getting their choking started early tonight.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 02, 2023, 05:40:53 PM
Trucks rolled out to Clearwooder today.

$40 for a spring training ticket.  Holy shtein.

PhillyPhreak54

What were they before?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 05, 2023, 08:45:06 PM
What were they before?

It's been a few years since I've gone to one... Harper's first year?  Can't remember how much they were... just seems high for games that don't count.

Still picked up a pair for me and the boy.  March 20 vs. the Orioles in Clearwooder.

PhillyPhreak54

Betcha beers and food are regular season prices too so even the value of going to ST is gone