Social Media

Started by Diomedes, July 18, 2011, 04:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Mr free speech banned Kanye from Twitter.

A few weeks ago my buddy got banned for calling Klu Klux Karen (mtg) a funhole.

I guess free speech is a little complicated

farging imbecile

Diomedes

Regarding Reddit today, with much of the platform "dark" in protest to a change they've made, requiring third party apps that, to my ignornant way of understanding it, bombard their servers with billions of "API calls" daily:

How can Reddit continue to exist if they have to pay bills for servers that do nothing but supply Reddit content to other apps, which aggregate and filter it?  Can't get ad revenue from clicks on other apps.  Can't show real traffic and "exposure" numbers to the advertisers, who are afterall the ones paying the bills...

Is Reddit demanding a crazy amount of money from these apps? Are the users simply a mob of spoiled fools who think this shtein happens for free?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Quote from: Diomedes on June 12, 2023, 06:39:17 AMIs Reddit demanding a crazy amount of money from these apps? Are the users simply a mob of spoiled fools who think this shtein happens for free?

Reddit just announced a price increase on their API that these apps use that make it impossible for the developers of the apps that use it to keep paying for it. The apps are free, and they contain tools used by thousands of unpaid moderators that the official app doesn't have.

Reddit was built on a whole lot of unpaid labor, and it'll probably just remove the mods from the most popular communities, replace them with new ones, and just keep chugging along.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

What I'm trying to suss out is whether the uproar is that:

A.) They've gone from free access to, you gotta pay to mitigate our cost

Or

B.)  They've gone from free access to, we're turning this into a profit center.

MFers on line acting like it's the latter...I'm not sure I"m buying that.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

I don't know what they were paying before, but they're being priced out to get everyone back in the official app before they become a publicly traded company.

Diomedes

Now I'm understanding.  That makes sense.

Rome

Elon is having a tough day today.  I would feel sorry for the racist fargface but unfortunately the person making it tough on him is Mark Zuckerberg.

Kinda feels like watching a bully getting beaten up by a slightly less despicable bully.

Oh well.  Threads isn't a bad site.  I hope they keep the Nazis off at least for a while. The disclaimers they're adding to mutts like Don Jr. are pretty funny though.

General_Failure

I didn't go this long without a facebook account just to get one now for a fargin' Twitter clone.

PhillyPhreak54

Apparently you have to have IG to sign up

Diomedes

I'm hoping Bluesky works.

MDS

bluesky shtein the bed by taking too long...everyone is already moving toward threads

its been in beta for what feels like forever
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

They do appear to have missed the boat...but I'll never use threads or any other Facebook thing, never have

Munson

As soon as they make it so I don't have to delete my IG to delete my threads account, I'll sign up.

Also has anyone checked on Jay to make sure he's still alive after that Salma Hayek IG post?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

Haha dude...she's still got it. My buddy sent it to me earlier. I'd drink that pool water

Rome

I logged into Facebook today at my wife's request to look at something happening here locally.  Anyway.... 

A photo of all of us at the first game after T.O. joined the Cowboys popped up.

That was the infamous "let's hang and burn a jersey" fiasco at C-6.

We were all so much goddamn younger back then.

https://www.facebook.com/518267801/posts/pfbid02jHppWdnWdsLo32Xn8F7fkSFSf1NL8jUKshfrdXCev47HYJdtrmMAGnjTy71QAMw7l/?app=fbl