2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

holy shtein, choke dog struck out twice on what was supposed to be an off day? good golly ms molly does he blow.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

QuotePenn State University graduate and Phillies broadcaster Chris Wheeler went to bat for his alma mater by donating $200,000 to the College of Communications to support student scholarships through two separate efforts.

With a $50,000 gift, Wheeler established the Christopher C. Wheeler Trustee Scholarship in the College of Communications.

In addition, through a $150,000 estate gift, Wheeler will support scholarships for students in the John Curley Center for Sports Journalism, which is housed in the college.

Even though people around Citizens Bank Park are calling him "money bags," Wheeler emphasized that the $150,000 portion is an estate gift, which means it is distributed after he dies.

"The scholarship just seemed like a great way to help out. The atmosphere at Penn State and in the College of Communications is just so positive, and the students really put an effort into what they do. My memories of Penn State are vivid, and to see the students working so hard, it's just wonderful to support that effort."

Doug Anderson, Dean of the Penn State College of Communications, praised Wheeler, who graduated from PSU in 1967.

"Chris is a great role model for the students.  He is one of our best known and most distinguished graduates," Anderson said of Wheeler who is entering his 31st season as a Phillies broadcaster.

All from somebody who entered Penn State as a political science major.

"I was and still am a big history buff.  I am especially interested in World War II and the Civil War," said Wheeler who has traveled with former Phillie and current Fox baseball announcer Tim McCarver to battlefields and historical sites such as Fredericksburg, Virgina.  Wheeler and his girlfriend, Renee, a fellow Penn State graduate have traveled to battlefield sites in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

However, it was a Newtown Square connection who steered "Wheels" towards communications.

"When I was 15, I worked at the old Llangollen Hills Swim Club on Route 252.  I dated a girl named Susan, whose father, Ed Harvey, worked at the old WCAU 1210.  He encouraged me to get into broadcasting, and eventually helped me get my first job in the newsroom there."

While at Penn State, Wheeler announced Penn State basketball and baseball games for the student radio station.

After graduation, Wheeler worked for WCAU then joined the Phillies in 1971.

Throughout the years, Wheeler regularly returned to campus to participate in events for the students, including moderating the panel discussion, "Covering the Big Game" with Tim May of "The Columbus Dispatch," Lisa Salters of ABC/ESPN, J.B. Morris of "ESPN the Magazine" and Ron Musselman of "The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette."

Steve Sampsell, Director of College Relations, Penn State College of Communications wrote in an email, "He did a great job, working with students, eliciting stories from panelists and keeping it moving along."

Chris and Renee, whom he met when she was working as an usherette at Veterans Stadium, also travel to State College once a year for a football weekend – their beloved pet dog is named "Nittany."

Growing up on Tyson Road in Newtown Square, Wheeler attended St. Anastasia school through eighth grade.  He played baseball for his father Chris H. Wheeler in the Babe Ruth, Newtown Edgmont, and Marple-Newtown American Legion leagues, as well as  varsity baseball as a shortstop for Marple Newtown Senior High, graduating in 1963.

"I regret that my father (who died when Wheeler was 19) didn't get to see me work for the Phillies," said Wheeler.

Rob Brooks, Manager of Broadcasting for the team said, "It is not surprising to see Wheels give back to his beloved Penn State in this manner.  He has always reached out to Penn State students over the years and made himself available as a resource to those who are looking to get into the sports broadcasting business.  Wheels has been a valuable member of the Phillies family for many, many years.  We have long known about his passion for Penn State, and are very proud that he is helping the next generation of Penn State communication students.

wheels is a straight playa.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Wingspan

Quote from: Rome on April 24, 2008, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: Wingspan on April 24, 2008, 05:07:49 PM
He could be better.

How exactly?  By going 1-2-3 in every appearance?  Is there a closer in baseball who's done that so far?

Why would you isolate that part of my post and ask me a question that I already answered in the same post?

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Wingspan on April 24, 2008, 05:07:49 PM
Quote from: SunMo on April 24, 2008, 04:57:16 PM
who were these better starters to be acquired?  and i loved bourn btw

and lol @ "he's pitching ok"

While out of reach, Santana could have been looked at.

Erik Bedard
Dontrelle Willis

On a lesser scale Carlos Silva, Kip Wells, Kyle Lohse were also available.

And yes, he is pitching "ok" he has 1 appearance where he went 1-2-3 save, otherwise, there always seems to be a walk, or a hit or two in there. He could be better.

Seattle had to give up Adam Jones to get Bedard, plus Sherrill and others.

Willis, while in hindsight it may have been nice at the time, looks like he's done. Not for the injury but his location. I was reading how some scouts think that motion may have caught up to him already.

Silva got paid alot. He's doing well in that dungeon up there though.

Kip Wells? Are you serious?

Lohse should have been signed.

However, they should have signed Lohse and acquired Lidge. I love Bourn, but thats about all they gave up for a top notch closer.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MDS on April 24, 2008, 06:16:54 PM
QuotePenn State University graduate and Phillies broadcaster Chris Wheeler went to bat for his alma mater by donating $200,000 to the College of Communications to support student scholarships through two separate efforts.

blah blah more stuff about this blah

The PSU College of Communications is all losers.  Every single graduate.  Loser.

MDS

Winners = graduates of Temple School of Communications and Theater.

BigEd76

Quote from: Wingspan on April 24, 2008, 05:07:49 PMWhile out of reach, Santana could have been looked at.

The Phils were on Santana's trade block list.

phattymatty

Quote from: FastFreddie on April 24, 2008, 08:25:51 PM
The PSU College of Communications is all losers.  Every single graduate.  Loser.

i just got a fat raise today.  straight chedda yo.

SD_Eagle5

QuoteTalked to Brad Lidge before last night's game about his strong start. Lidge said it's pretty simple, really. He's sticking with his fastball and slider (his slider has been particularly nasty). Over the past two years, he has tinkered with other pitches in April, and they haven't worked. Last season, after fumbling the closer job in Houston, he scrapped a cut fastball and split-finger, went back to the fastball-slider combo, and pitched well for the rest of the year. This season, he said he was determined to use only the fastball-slider, and so far, it's working.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 24, 2008, 06:02:21 PM
The team or certain players get of to a slow start.  Response?  "It's April.  Check back in June and you'll see......he/they will turn it around and will be playing well!"

The team or certain players get off to a fast start.  Response?  "It's April.  Check back in June and you'll see......he/they will turn it around and will be playing like the crap that they are!"

im happy with where they are right now but i wouldnt exactly qualify it as a fast start...i think you mean they got off to a not horrible start
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 25, 2008, 07:57:19 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 24, 2008, 06:02:21 PM
The team or certain players get of to a slow start.  Response?  "It's April.  Check back in June and you'll see......he/they will turn it around and will be playing well!"

The team or certain players get off to a fast start.  Response?  "It's April.  Check back in June and you'll see......he/they will turn it around and will be playing like the crap that they are!"

im happy with where they are right now but i wouldnt exactly qualify it as a fast start...i think you mean they got off to a not horrible start

I think you completely read way too much into my post.  Go double check your work. 

BigEd76

ML HR leaders:
#1 Utley (10)
#2 Burrell (8 )

ML RBI leaders:
#1 Burrell (25)
#2 Utley (21)

ML slugging % leaders:
#1 Utley (.835)
#2 Burrell (.750)

ML OPS leaders:
#1 Utley (1.288)
#2 Burrell (1.224)

All this without Rollins, Victorino and Howard

PoopyfaceMcGee

Utley and Burrell could get co-MVP honors!  Then, the Phillies would have 4 NL MVP's in the last 3 years with no playoff wins to show for it.

I'd have to think that record would stand for a while.

BigEd76

Taguchi RF
Werth CF
Utley 1B
Burrell LF
Coste C
Feliz 3B
Bruntlett SS
Brad Harman 2B
Eaton P

World Series

PoopyfaceMcGee