the betting thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 14, 2006, 12:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: rjs246 on July 21, 2021, 11:38:23 AMOne nice thing about the Bucks win is that I cashed out my +3600 bet on the Suns to win it all. The cash out paid about +2600. Felt pretty silly after game two. Seems much smarter now.

Explain that.  You had a bet that Phoenix would win the title which paid good money, but after they went up by two games, you pulled the bet for a lower payout...and of course they then went on to lose.  What does +3600 mean?  For every dollar you bet, you get 3.6 dollars back, meaning 2.6 dollars of profit?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

You're on the right track but at the wrong scale. For every dollar bet at +3600 you get that dollar back plus 36 dollars. So I bet the Suns when they were a looooooong shot. I cashed out the bet (an option that isn't always available) during the conference final round when the clippers looked like they might mount a comeback.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

cashing out early is for cowards.

rjs246

Cowards who like cash in their pockets.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

Quote from: rjs246 on July 21, 2021, 03:03:55 PMFor every dollar bet at +3600 you get that dollar back plus 36 dollars.

Holy crap.   Good job pulling out early.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Thanks but don't be too impressed. I laid a bunch of small bets on teams who were not the Lakers, Bucks, Nets or Clippers. I was basically betting the field, all of which were crazy long shots, and one of them hit (or came close enough to make a fairly nice profit). Ended up making more than if I had just laid a single bet on the Bucks to win so, you know, yay me.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

Getting more.  Not making more. 

Degenerate. 

rjs246

I also would have accepted "farging degenerate" but your response checks out.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on July 21, 2021, 06:03:34 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on July 21, 2021, 03:03:55 PMFor every dollar bet at +3600 you get that dollar back plus 36 dollars.

Ummmm...

rjs246

A "that's what she said" would suffice, Rome.

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Quote from: Diomedes on July 21, 2021, 06:03:34 PM

you can say that again
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

rjs246

By contrast I bet $65 that they will win fewer than 6.5 games this year.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on July 23, 2021, 04:05:01 PM
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1417247542153203714

And that is lighting money on fire.

Whomever placed that likely sees $4k the way we see $100 but still

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 23, 2021, 04:17:23 PM
Whomever placed that likely sees $4k the way we see $100

Nah, more likely just a Philly degenerate with the IQ of the average WIP caller.