Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

If you think $50k is high don't go look at F150 prices now.

Diomedes

this looks like more fun than group sex, holy crap

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-ariel-nomad-3/

lol at the poster who says, "you clean it by doing donuts in a pond"
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

for Jay:  (does anyone else read this thread?)

Even I have to admit this car is rad:  Ex-Florida Highway Patrol 1989 Ford Mustang SSP 5-Speed

this car is just one of six nice Fox body Mustangs being auctioned at BaT right now...

Rome

Those were the cars they gave the higher-ups at the bank I worked at in the late 80's after college. 

I don't know... I was never a big fan of the Mustangs after they ruined them in the 70's.  Seems like an awful lot of dough, Dio.

SD

Quote from: Rome on July 24, 2020, 08:56:56 AM
I am legit impressed with the new Bronco line coming out.  I mean $50K for an SUV is derp stupid but damn they look nice.

You should buy a white one

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on December 19, 2020, 08:23:46 AM
for Jay:  (does anyone else read this thread?)

Even I have to admit this car is rad:  Ex-Florida Highway Patrol 1989 Ford Mustang SSP 5-Speed

this car is just one of six nice Fox body Mustangs being auctioned at BaT right now...

Nice!!

Those highway patrol cars were always sought after among the Mustang community. One is everyone wanted the coupes (aka notchbacks) because of how light they are in weight. And the police package got you some upgraded goodies as far as suspension and cooling.

The drawback was they had the cheap cloth interiors. But then again those getting them would usually gut them anyways.

The wheels on the Saleen are awful. I liked some of his accent things (used to have a Saleen wing) though. The McLaren's were ugly as hell. Never cared for them.

The 89 GT is super nice but it's got the godawful red interior. I've always wanted to meet the exec who signed off on that to ask them wtf they were thinking.

Some day I'll have another Fox. It'll have to be when we build a bigger place where I can have a six car garage. I need more room!

MDS

also lowkey got a nice pair
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

Quote from: Diomedes on December 19, 2020, 08:23:46 AM
  (does anyone else read this thread?)

only because im super anal i click it on it to get the 'new' jawn to go away, but i never actually read it....until right now you bitch
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on December 19, 2020, 11:37:25 PM
also lowkey got a nice pair

Love those headlights too eh?

Rome

Lol - was that in reference to AOC or the 'Stang?

Diomedes

Fun with Ford:

2012 F150XL 3.7L, 2WD, tow package...113,750 miles.
Maintained according to manufacturer's schedule by the dealer I bought it from new.

While driving (at any speed and from any gear) truck frequently, unpredictably exhibits following:
- speedometer needle drops to zero regardless of actual speed !!
- truck loses proper shifting functionality  !!
Event has occurred a dozen or so times since 12 December 2020, usually at speeds and gearing above third.  Typical result is truck will not downshift below third gear, but on one occasion event occurred at a stop light, and gearing above first would not engage.
- odometer, tripmeter, gas mileage, and other digital information displays null-out to dashes instead of showing numbers
- a wrench symbol appears on right side of the digital display.  wrench symbol sometimes persists through event, sometimes goes away even while gearing speedometer, etc. are not functioning
- sometimes the check engine light appears, sometimes not
- airbag light illuminates !! (is my airbag NOT functioning during these events?!?)

If I turn the truck off, remove the key and then re-start, the truck temporarily returns to normal function with no indication event occured (check engine light not on, etc.) Truck then operates normally until the event recurs, sometimes only moments or minutes after a reset, sometimes not again for the remainder of a short trip (<10 mile / <20).

Issue has twice left me in a bad traffic situation:  once, with a load in the bed, I was stuck without first and second gear at a light on a grade and couldn't move because I didn't have enough torque in third gear.  Another time, I was stuck in first gear trying to get through traffic to get off the road.

Truck is not safe to operate in this condition and I have stopped driving it altogether. 

I filed a safety complaint with NHTSA.

Dealer says:  need to replace the lead frame, which I understand to be essentially a wiring harness internal to the transmission.  They have to drop the trans to do this. 

And here's the nut:  Ford gonna cover it.

I'll be a while without the truck because the parts have to be ordered, etc.  Could be a couple weeks.  But I don't care.  I thought I was going to have to cover this, which would not be possible since I'm unemployed, and can't dump thousands into a 9 year old truck with only 114k on it. 

PhillyPhreak54

Jeez. Sorry, man.

There was a recall on 2011-2013's for the trans downshifting without warning into 1st and locking the rears up.

I assume you have the 6R80 trans which I also have in my 2010.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2011-12-ford-f-150-among-vehicles-recalled-for-transmission-defect.html

Look into that. That article is from years ago but if this is the issue you may be able to see if it is still covered. And at the very least you may be able to argue your case into a replacement if it was never fixed under recall.

also...

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-f150-6r80-speed-sensor-location-381884/index3/

Seems a few of these guys had the same issue. Perhaps you can try to change the speed sensor.

Diomedes

Yep, am aware of those both.  OSS replacement won't fix my thing--though that is the code it sometimes throws--it's the lead frame.  At one point was told by dealer that mine isn't included, but now they are saying it is and Ford will cover it.

PhillyPhreak54

That is good news that they'll cover it.