The "I Miss Sassy" Sports Thread

Started by Rome, February 06, 2008, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Soccer players are mos def not Hoydas...it's as tough as any other sport you wanna name in its own way, just as each serious sport can boast.  [Baseball is not a serious sport, for the record.]

The problem is the culture, not the players.  They are plenty physically and mentally tough enough to play without the flopping crap, but they can't really afford to give it up unless everyone does.  They flop because it works..you flop, you get the call, the other team is penalized, you gain advantage.  That culture has to change before Americans will tune in.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Which reminds me.

Why the hell doesn't rugby get popular in America?
They did a poll my senior year to see if enough people would be interested to start a high school rugby team, and as far as I know the answer was no, because there's still no team there.

Dio-I know soccer players can be "tough", but when you're in America and you can play a sport that requires wearing full pads in 95 degree weather and includes violent and vicious hits...wheres the toughness now? Sign up and play a sport where when there's a violent hit, it's not an accident.

We asked the soccer team to suit up a few times and play with us a little bit and we always got the head shaking "no way man" response. Bitches.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

soccer players are in great shape...but so are marathon runners...and they both have about equal toughness
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: Munson on February 08, 2008, 01:15:47 PM
Exactly.

Bunch of a farging Hoydas, the lot of them.

Play some football or some Rugby. Soccer in America is for the Hoydas that couldn't take the pads and the hitting in football, but were too bored to run cross country and needed a sphere to kick around while they ran.

Soccer for recreational purposes/playing with some friends isn't too bad.

We get it, Munson.  You're a he-man and hate the sport.  Now shoo...

Diomedes

Get off your brutish high horse, thug boy.  Being able to hit and take a hit isn't the sole mark of athletic toughness.  Just as the soccer player ain't down with getting mauled by a 265 lb LB, nor could that LB play even 20 minutes straight at any position on the soccer pitch, save perhaps goalie.

They are different and making 'football players are men, soccer players are bitches' statements is ignant.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

I have no problem admitting that I think you're more tough and more of a man if you can go out there in the heat and humidity, in full pads, and often be sprinting, and also knocking the snot out of people. And if you ask me, I think running for short periods of time and hitting/exerting energy on hitting/contact with other people is just as hard, if not harder then running around and not hitting anybody 98% of the time.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Munson

ice grillin you

i dont think they are the least bit tough
but i also dont think
that has anything to do with the american sports fan not liking soccer
i mean look how popular golf is in the states
the bottom line is the farging sport sucks to watch
plus we are the inventors of
basketball football and baseball
three sports that are infinitely better and we dont have time to watch crap

Diomedes

Rome

Football & baseball are bastichized versions of rugby & cricket.

I'll give you basketball but at its highest level (NBA) it's still a freak show.  And speaking as someone who's been to a top notch soccer match, I'd take it over the NBA any day of the week.  College basketball is obviously a different story.

NGM

I'm going to have to disagree with to a certain extent Dio.  As Munson said, if your logic follows, rugby and lacrosse would much more popular in America (although not popular world wide). 

I think the reason America doesn't tune in is our big-time athletes don't play the sport.  Can you imagine if LeBron or MJ or Ray Lewis played soccer.  America would tune in.  Donovan, Beasley and Adu couldn't make it to the majors in women's sports and thusly don't stack up against world wide competition.

Of course you could make the counter argument that the sport would have to be popular first to draw our best athletes into playing soccer as well. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

ice grillin you

im talking about the sports themselves as whole...three are highly watchable one is unwatchable...american sports fans just happen to be able to recognize this better than smelly eurotrash

Rome

Have you ever attended an elite soccer match?

Diomedes

to vigy, the rest of the world=smelly eurotrash