Newspaper?

Started by Diomedes, September 09, 2009, 09:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you subscribe to a print edition daily newspaper?

Yes
8 (42.1%)
No
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Diomedes

I'm curious how many of us actually get a newspaper.

I get the Baltimore Sun, and despite how zesty it's become, I'm still happy to pay for it and I read it most days. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

had a free 6mo trial of the la times shortly after i moved out to cali.  hardly ever read it though.  just used it to start fires every night.  when it was time for me to start paying for it, the weather was warm so i declined. 

unfortunately, because i used to read the paper all the time, but it's really becoming obsolete thanks to the internet, 24 hr news channels and cell phones with full web browsing capabilities. 

Diomedes

I actually read the thing almost every day with my morning coffee and smoke.  The real value I get out of it is purely local news which I would not otherwise seek out on the internet.  The rest of the news feels like it's a week old by the time I get it because I'm reading all kinds of news portals online.  Same with sports:  the national and international stuff (such as it is in a pitiful rag like the Sun) is useless to me, but I find myself reading the local high school and small college sports stuff, which actually tells you a fair amount about what's going on in your local community.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

i read online, and when i go to my parents place.  But for the most part i just dont like paying the exorbitant rates that they charge for our local paper
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i subscribe to the sunday post and times and buy the post everyday at the train station which is essentially a subscription

there is no better deal in the history of the world than a newspaper...its really astounding when you think about how much you get out of it for what it costs
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

i got the post for the last few years but canceled over the summer.  my commute isn't long enough for a whole newspaper and if i want to read the news, the free daily is perfect for getting the gist of everything.  but mostly i listen to podcasts these days.

MDS

get the inqy. it sucks.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

The post is a little better than the zesty News Journal for DE.  I always read the daily news at work, but once i got a better job, my lunch hour disappeared. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyPhreak54

I used to get the Inky and DN.

I don't subscribe to the Houston Chronicle; it sucks.

Rome

I read the New York Times from front to back on Sunday.  I don't have time during the week, though.  I usually read the Inky, & A.C. Press online on a daily basis, though.  And of course I get all my political news from ATV.

QB Eagles

I'm getting RSS feeds 24/7 on the topics I care about, so as cheap and informative as papers are, they are still more expensive, less informative, and less timely than what I get sent to me through the Internet. I will typically still skim through whatever paper someone leaves lying around at lunchtime looking for original stories, often the Wall Street Journal.

The two major Pittsburgh papers are pretty horrible. Basically condensed AP content and nationally syndicated opinion columns along with eight original pages of local Steelers coverage. The editorials (uniformly conservative in the Trib and uniformly liberal in the Post-Gazette) are uninformative and painfully predictable. Even the crossword is pretty dumbed down in those rags. The local news that exists originates with those two papers' websites though.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

fansince61

Three: Morning Call (Allentown PA), Hunterdon County Democrat and Wall Street Journal