War with Iran

Started by MURP, February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: rjs246 on July 14, 2006, 09:24:43 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on July 14, 2006, 08:59:09 AM
Here is a good example of the rules going one way:

actually an example of going one way would be tanks planes and ships vs people with guns

This is what I was talking about. Of course these countries can't compete with the military powers of the world. So they've found a new way to fight the war. It's archaic to think that tanks and planes and ships will somehow beat down this type of guerilla warfare or that the countries with the large arms advantage somehow have an actual tactical advantage. Their mission isn't to fight and win military battles on a large scale. They know they can't do that. Their mission is to impart fear on a large scale. To let the powers that be know that they can infiltrate and attack whenever and whereever they want without regard to themselves or who they kill. It's a terrifying concept. An invisible enemy, consisting of an extremely small number of people who have no regard for their lives and who could literally strike anywhere they please because large militaries have not adjusted their tactics and think they are still fighting the Germans in 1945.

The first part of your statement is absolutely true, the second not so much the miliatary is definately trying to adjust the way it fights.  The problem is exactly what you said at the start, they have no regard for their lives or other people.  They can strike and then quickly blend into the surrounding population, so really there is no clear cut way to fight a war like that and there probably never will be.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: Diomedes on July 14, 2006, 09:29:27 AM
Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on July 14, 2006, 09:21:13 AMPart two they start firing towards the troops, what happens then?

If you're Israel, you unload into the crowd.   Then you throw all the survivors into prison.  Then you scramble F-16s to bomb refugee camps and other "terrorist" "strongholds."  Next, you roll the tanks into whatever neighborhood the people came from and destroy their houses.  Finally, you send the bill to the U.S. and put in a replenishment order to replace all those bullets and bombs.

The US unfortunately or fortuantely depending on how you look at it doesn't have that luxury.  If we were to mow down the whole crowd could you imagine the uproar from the rest of the world?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Diomedes

Since when does the U.S. give a shtein about what the rest of the world has to say about anything?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

for real...they invaded an entire friggin country...shooting up a crowd of a few innocent civilians wouldnt even blip the radar
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Drunkmasterflex

You may not think the US cares, but if they didn't, don't you think the way the war is being fought right now would be much different? I know it would be, there would be much more indiscriminate killings.

phillymic2000

Quote from: Diomedes on July 14, 2006, 09:12:45 AM
The scale of Israel's attack is simply not acceptable.  There are a lot of people in Lebanon.  A complete air and sea blockade is outrageous overkill.

This is no one's fault but Hezbollah and the Lebanese government. Israel is not firing at will on innocent civilians Dio. they are taking out infastructure and means of transporting in hopes of stopping movement of their captured soldiers and militants. Hezbollah is firing at will at anything and everything, thats ok though cause they don't have an airforce and warships.

phillymic2000

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on July 14, 2006, 09:41:41 AM
You may not think the US cares, but if they didn't, don't you think the way the war is being fought right now would be much different? I know it would be, there would be much more indiscriminate killings.

You got that right, Gitmo is an example of that, handling the Koran with gloves on only, making sure they are fed the right food, now given geneva convention treatment, none of our soldiers that have been captured have had anyo f those things given to them.

Diomedes

Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 14, 2006, 10:14:11 AM...they are taking out infastructure and means of transporting...

And who exactly do you think this effects?  Innocent people, that's who.  Hard to get milk when the truck can't get to the store because the bridges are blown up.  Hard to get gas for your car if the tanker can't dock.  Hard to medivac that heart transplant patient out with no airports.

It's a gross over-reaction.  Typical Israeli terrorism.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phillymic2000

exactly, they can't move, isn't that the idea? to stop the enemy from moving, Hezbollah uses the public to shield itself. The people put the leadership into place in 2000, the leadership has allowed hezbollah to do what it wants. Typical Israeli Terrorism? Who struck first? Hezbollah attacked Israel and killed 8 soldier capturing 2. What in the world do you expect Israel to do nothing? That is so far from realistic it ain't funny. If Israel let's it go there will be more attacks, all these terrorists understand is force, they hit you, you better hit back harder, appeasement does nothing but promote more trouble, they gave up gaza and South lebanon and look what they got in return, attacked twice and three soldiers captured.

Diomedes

Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 14, 2006, 10:19:07 AMnone of our soldiers that have been captured have had anyo f those things given to them...

All the better reason to be sure that "we" treat "their" captured bad guys well.  We're supposed to be the civilized ones, afterall.  The fact that you begrudge U.S. prisoners of war (or whatever you want to call the prionoers at Gitmo and other internment camps) their humane treatment says alot about you. 

Diomedes

Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 14, 2006, 10:30:47 AM
exactly, they can't move, isn't that the idea? to stop the enemy from moving, Hezbollah uses the public to shield itself. The people put the leadership into place in 2000, the leadership has allowed hezbollah to do what it wants.

It's alright with you for the Israel to punish the innocent people of an entire country for the sake of a few dead soldiers and two kidnapped?  That's terrorist logic.  It's the same logic Osama used (remember him??) to take down the WTC.  Punish the people for what the government does.  Brilliant.

The Israeli reaction is outrageous.   They ought to be bitch slapped by the world, including the U.S.

ice grillin you

exactly, they can't move, isn't that the idea?

half the COUNTRY cant move
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Philly Crew

I'm torn on this because I don't want a full regional war but wouldn't be opposed to Israel knocking out Syria and taking out Iran's nuclear capability (if it can be found and reached).  Otherwise, I can't see Israel's end-game.  So they damage Lebanon and attempt to retrieve bodies, how does this prevent future missle attacks from Lebanon or Gaza?
I'm bringing sexy back

phillymic2000

I am upset that our soldiers do not get fair treatment. The fact that you continue to throw "we are the civilized ones" argument up to defend the horrendous things that happen to our women and men when they fall into the terrorists hands furthurs my thinking that you hate this country and could care less what happens to our soldiers. We do everything we can to be pc, handle situations with care with our prisioners and in warfare, (there will always be some who kill for no reason, or other actions that are wrong) Call me what you will Dio, but I feel the only way to beat these scumbags is be one step harsher with the terroists then they are with us. It is unrealistic to think that civilians will not be killed in warfare, I believe that we have done and are continuing to do everything we can to spare innocent lives in this war, an action that is not afforded to us and our Allies, but to you that seems to be ok.

phillymic2000

QuoteThe Israeli reaction is outrageous.   They ought to be bitch slapped by the world, including the U.S.

I am amazed that you continue to neglect that Hezbolla from Lebanon attacked Israel, amazed!