War with Iran

Started by MURP, February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMarchHare

Oh, and one more point.  I've said it before, Ahmadinejad was inspired to have a holocaust cartoon contest.  If free speech is free speech, then the Danes should publish those too.  They've admitted the whole point was to incense Islam with the Mohammad cartoons.  How is this any different?
Anyone but Reid.

phillymic2000

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 02:06:01 PM
Quote from: phillymic2000 on February 17, 2006, 02:02:06 PM
Quote from: Diomedes on February 17, 2006, 01:55:03 PM
I don't know that Muslims have much in the way of humor.  God knows they can't take a joke.  Christians aren't exaclty a humor loving bunch, either.

Yep, the next time that i see a cross soaked in Urine or a jacked up picture of Christ all in the name of "Art" or "free speach" boy oh boy, I'm gonna fire bomb something!

I didn't know you lived in Alabama......

I work on the south side of Chicago which is close sometimes!! :-D

phillymic2000

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 02:07:22 PM
Oh, and one more point.  I've said it before, Ahmadinejad was inspired to have a holocaust cartoon contest.  If free speech is free speech, then the Danes should publish those too.  They've admitted the whole point was to incense Islam with the Mohammad cartoons.  How is this any different?

I agree that the danes should post the cartoons, also if the NY times and other U.S. papers will post pictures of Abu Grab, post the Muhammed cartoons.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: phillymic2000 on February 17, 2006, 02:00:29 PM
QuoteWe have Christians calling for assisination of world leaders (Robertson re: Chavez).  We have Christians indiscriminately killing Muslims with missiles and bombs, guns and tanks.  We have Christians torturing and kidnapping Muslims.

The first point is dead on, Robertson is a wacko, but at least he had the sense to at least publicly appologize for his remarks. Iran's Pres, instead of backing down calls for a Cartoon contest about the holocaust.

I can only imagine you are talking about our armed forces when mentioning the missles and bombs, I've never heard any solider praise god after an attack, or bomb run and jump up and down chanting "Jesus is great, death to the dirty muslims". Once again torture and kidnapping would be referencing our Soldiers i'll assume, you know the funny thing is and i am not down playing the torture part of this, but I find it strange that there is only outrage towards our government when our soldiers are killed by IED, or car bombs. What about the civilians Iraqi and non-Iraqi that are killed everyday by these terrorists? no we would rather focus on a couple of idiots who abused some prisoners at Abu Grab, that werent killed but humiliated, we won't worry about the death count of civilians at the hands of terrorits.

Stop with that shtein already. Anyone who knows anything about the rules of war, has miltary expirience, or bothers to educate themselves know that those fighting our forces in Iraq aren't terrorists in the sense you want to imply.  The majority of the people fighting our forces there are Iraqi, fighting who they believe to be an invader of their country. There are an amount of insurgents who are backed by terrorist organizations, but still, they do not fit the definition of a "terrorist."

Dictionary.com:
Terrorist

adj : characteristic of someone who employs terrorism (especially as a political weapon); "terrorist activity"; "terrorist state" n : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

Terrorism

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

QuoteInsurgent

• Rising in revolt against established authority, especially a government.
  • Rebelling against the leadership of a political party.

QuoteInsurgency

n : an organized rebellion aimed at overthrowing a constituted government through the use of subversion and armed conflict.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

rjs246

Believing in stuff is farging boring.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on February 17, 2006, 02:14:11 PM
Believing in stuff is farging boring.

You can't seriously believe in that.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Phanatic

To be honest I don't think American forces have "dropped" many bombs since open warfare stopped. This battle is on the ground now and it is in the trenches. American troops trained to fight in open warfare are trying to figure out how to fight an elusive force that for all of its moralistic rhetoric, has no morals.  In their frustration they are a regular cross section of people. Some act out in the wrong way and we get the headlines. Some do the best they can to get by. Some buy into the propoganda to do the best they can. It's a mess with no easy answer. This crusade business is about as much nonsense as WMDs actually being the reason we went into Iraq. I am glad that I am no longer in the service and frustrated with any and all politicians responsible for putting the troops in this mess. Most of said politicians have deferments from another larger ill fought war.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

phillymic2000

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 02:05:20 PM
C'mon, mic, you know that's not the point.  We went into Iraq with a moral imperative.  Therefore, we MUST maintain a high moral standard to have any efficacy at all.  Torturing prisoners, humiliating, whatever, only makes us look like liars and hypocrites.

I think we're all horrified by the civilian body count, no matter who's to blame.  But right now we're losing the real war, the war for the minds of the Iraqi people.  We can't convince the insurgents we mean well, but we damn well better convince everyone else.  And dropping bombs which kill innocents along with insurgents doesn't do that.

It pisses me off that there are some idiots that do stupid things to people, like the soldiers at Abu Grab, and yes it makes us look very bad. I also agree we need to win the civilians over, and hopefully over time they will wake up and see that we are the only ones trying to rebuild the country and the terrorists are continuingto target infastructure and civilians. It's a mess, but we have to finish it.

Phanatic

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

MadMarchHare

Maybe he can shack up with Salman Rushdie?
Anyone but Reid.

PhillyPhanInDC

"Whoever has done this despicable and shameful act, he has challenged the honor of Muslims. Whoever will kill this cursed man, he will get $1 million from the association of the jewelers bazaar, 1 million rupees ($16,700) from Masjid Mohabat Khan and 500,000 rupees ($8,350) and a car from Jamia Ashrafia as a reward," Qureshi told about 1,000 people outside the mosque after Friday prayers.

"This is a unanimous decision of by all imams (prayer leaders) of Islam that whoever insults the prophets deserves to be killed and whoever will take this insulting man to his end, will get this prize."

......said the holyman......

phillymic2000

QuoteStop with that shtein already. Anyone who knows anything about the rules of war, has miltary expirience, or bothers to educate themselves know that those fighting our forces in Iraq aren't terrorists in the sense you want to imply.  The majority of the people fighting our forces there are Iraqi, fighting who they believe to be an invader of their country. There are an amount of insurgents who are backed by terrorist organizations, but still, they do not fit the definition of a "terrorist."

I'm not saying they are all foreign fighters, but there is a heavy influence and support (IMO) from Iran, Syria and others to support this insurgency (is that a better term). They are not focused on just ridding us from the country, some are focused on knocking out the in place government and ruling it themselves, they continue to focus a good deal of their attacks on their own civilians.

rjs246

QuoteYou can't seriously believe in that.

I certainly can. And do.

Nothing is more boring that listening to other people talk about the shtein they believe in. Keep it to yourself. No one farging cares what you think or believe.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on February 17, 2006, 02:22:25 PM
QuoteYou can't seriously believe in that.

I certainly can. And do.

Nothing is more boring that listening to other people talk about the shtein they believe in. Keep it to yourself. No one farging cares what you think or believe.

First off, it was a joke. Second, you're not actually "listening" to anything.

phillymic2000

QuoteWhoever has done this despicable and shameful act, he has challenged the honor of Muslims. Whoever will kill this cursed man, he will get $1 million from the association of the jewelers bazaar, 1 million rupees ($16,700) from Masjid Mohabat Khan and 500,000 rupees ($8,350) and a car from Jamia Ashrafia as a reward," Qureshi told about 1,000 people outside the mosque after Friday prayers.

"This is a unanimous decision of by all imams (prayer leaders) of Islam that whoever insults the prophets deserves to be killed and whoever will take this insulting man to his end, will get this prize."

somebody get down to 8th street right away!!!