War with Iran

Started by MURP, February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMarchHare

So.....how's that different from the radical Christians we have in office?
Anyone but Reid.

Diomedes

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 08:19:33 AM

Or the radical capitalists? 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

Butchers Bill

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 08:19:33 AM

We don't have Christians cutting off the heads of non-believers.  We also do not have Christians calling for Isreal to be "wiped off the map".  We also do not have Christians calling for a religeous war every time Christ gets mocked in a cartoon.

Do you need more examples or is this sufficient?
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Diomedes

We have Christians calling for assisination of world leaders (Robertson re: Chavez).  We have Christians indiscriminately killing Muslims with missiles and bombs, guns and tanks.  We have Christians torturing and kidnapping Muslims.

Do you need more examples, or is this sufficient?

Muslims and Christians are the same.  Murderous idealogues.  Go ahead and pretend your side is better, it looks good on you.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Diomedes on February 17, 2006, 09:40:12 AM
We have Christians calling for assisination of world leaders (Robertson re: Chavez).  We have Christians indiscriminately killing Muslims with missiles and bombs, guns and tanks.  We have Christians torturing and kidnapping Muslims.

Do you need more examples, or is this sufficient?

Muslims and Christians are the same.  Murderous idealogues.  Go ahead and pretend your side is better, it looks good on you.

You are actually making a very poor generalization here Dio.  The US is not a theocracy, Iran is.  The criminals at Abu Grab were Christians?  In all of those pictures, I never saw a bible or other christian symbols around anywhere.

Go ahead and project your hatred for the US regardless of fact, it looks good on you.

Rome

Asserting that this administration isn't a de facto theocracy is laughable.

Bush is a bible-thumping idealogue just as Dio said he is.   He's no better than the clown in Iran.

Diomedes

Quote from: Butchers Bill on February 17, 2006, 09:47:07 AM...nationalist blather...Ann Coulter soundbytes...call out the dissenter as un-American..blah, blah, blah...

Christianity is as bloodied as Islam.  If you cannot accept this point, you aren't worth talking to.

Iran says Israel should be wiped off the map, and does nothing.  America says "terrorism" (except for its own brand, of course) should be annihilated, then proceeds to wipe two Islamic countries off the map.

Bush is a born again Christian who has called his campaign a "crusade."  The world is quite right to see America as a better funded Christian terrorism machine, with more PR budget. 

rjs246

For the record, dissention is the most 'American' thing a citizen can do. Idiots tend to forget that that alone is what separates this country from many others.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 17, 2006, 10:01:23 AM
Asserting that this administration isn't a de facto theocracy is laughable.

Really?  Let me know when we start stoning non-christians in public squares.  Thanks.

Some of you have serious issues being able to seperate political beliefs from hysteria.  Bush may be a very bad president, but he is not on a crusade to wipe out non-christians.     

Phanatic

I think labeling the Bush administration the same as IRAN's current president is extreme. I also think that sighting Religious history doesn't face up the details on what is going on in the world right now.
As for wiping out two Islamic countries, Afghanistan was the right move. Iraq, while questionable, was not really what you would call a true Islamic country as far as their government was concerned. No more Islamic then Saudi Arabia. Not to mention the UN left us holding the ball to spend millions a day making sure they didn't fly across 2/3rds of their country for over 10 years. Containing the mad man so to speak. What kind of horse shtein is that.
In the end there were some really complicated problems in the middle east and we elected an idiot to deal with said problems. Now we get what we pay for. The other candidate in the last election was just another idot. But to say that this is just as much a Christian crusade against Islam is kind of lame.

The problem in my 'opinion' is that we are dealing with 50 to 100 years of short sited misguided foreign policy desicions made by short sited beurocrats who can't seem to see more then 4 years ahead of themselves as they work in election cycles. What's at stake has nothing to do with religion. The world economy is backed and controlled by oil. Oil provides energy and that is the primary thing that all indutrialized nations need the most. That is what the fight is really about. All this 12th century huey is just a side show distraction from the real game.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Diomedes on February 17, 2006, 10:12:20 AM
Iran says Israel should be wiped off the map, and does nothing.  America says "terrorism" (except for its own brand, of course) should be annihilated, then proceeds to wipe two Islamic countries off the map.

You are such a farging hypocrite.  You were the one screaming the Iraq was not an Islamic nation (they were secular) not too long ago.  So when someone disagrees with you politically you just rip off someone elses talking points?  Where did you get that one Dio??  Stuart Smalley?

MadMarchHare

Oil currently runs the world, but it doesn't need to be that way.  We could've been off the tit (for everything but air travel) 5-10 years ago, if the money'd been spent on alternatives.  Instead, we waste billions in the Middle East in military effort, not to mention how many have died over it, that could've been spent on better things.

I'm not saying we are "crusading" in the Middle East.  But if we allow Israel to attack Iran (and we'd have to "allow" it by letting them fly through Iraqi airspace) we'd be creating an "us v. them" war of a much greater magnitude than we have now.

I don't like the idea of a Middle East where even the token support we're getting now for Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt is lost.  That frightens me.
Anyone but Reid.

Phanatic

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 10:43:33 AM
Oil currently runs the world, but it doesn't need to be that way. We could've been off the tit (for everything but air travel) 5-10 years ago, if the money'd been spent on alternatives. Instead, we waste billions in the Middle East in military effort, not to mention how many have died over it, that could've been spent on better things.

I'm not saying we are "crusading" in the Middle East. But if we allow Israel to attack Iran (and we'd have to "allow" it by letting them fly through Iraqi airspace) we'd be creating an "us v. them" war of a much greater magnitude than we have now.

I don't like the idea of a Middle East where even the token support we're getting now for Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt is lost. That frightens me.

I totally agree. Alternative energy sources are desperatly needed and anything is possible with a little ingenuity and innovation.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Butchers Bill

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 17, 2006, 10:43:33 AM
Oil currently runs the world, but it doesn't need to be that way.  We could've been off the tit (for everything but air travel) 5-10 years ago, if the money'd been spent on alternatives.  Instead, we waste billions in the Middle East in military effort, not to mention how many have died over it, that could've been spent on better things.

I'm not saying we are "crusading" in the Middle East.  But if we allow Israel to attack Iran (and we'd have to "allow" it by letting them fly through Iraqi airspace) we'd be creating an "us v. them" war of a much greater magnitude than we have now.

I don't like the idea of a Middle East where even the token support we're getting now for Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt is lost.  That frightens me.

Agree on 99% of what you just said, except for being off of oil 5-10 years ago.  I think we SHOULD have been (especially after the 70's oil debacle) but the tech still isn't there.  We should be investing billions into alternatives to oil so if the M.E. wants to kill themselves off, so be it.