The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on May 12, 2020, 04:18:04 PM
i agree, the one about the murderer is a bit darker than the one about basketball.

it's not even dark... it's just a million times better
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

the oj doc was one of the best, if not the best, docs ever. its an impossible comp to something less vital, less deep and simply designed to be nostalgic fun.

the oj doc told the story of race in america...this is about a good basketball player
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: MDS on May 13, 2020, 09:55:38 PM
the oj doc was one of the best, if not the best, docs ever. its an impossible comp to something less vital, less deep and simply designed to be nostalgic fun.

the oj doc told the story of race in america...this is about a good basketball player

The greatest athlete in our times
The greatest competitor ever
Obama cameo 
Pre Jordan bulls were a traveling cocaine circus
His struggles on the court and the pistons role in making MJ
Nike/Air Jordan the most iconic image in sports history. Jerry West who?
His struggles of being Michael Jordan and dealing with the constant spotlight
His gambling addiction
His father...his ultimate unconditional loving guide being randomly killed and his struggles overcoming his death 
Dennis Rodman
His relationship with his teammates
Phil Jackson rearranging the entire offense and having MJ buy into it
Scottie Pippens headache
Jerry Krause as the villain
Leaving and playing minor league baseball for two seasons
Calling himself god, laughing at Gary Payton
The chip on his shoulder and what separates him from the pack

If you view this as just a doc about "a good basketball player" you're missing the point.

ice grillin you

i love the last dance its fantastic....but its nothing more than pure unadulterated hagiography...which is fine cause im a jordan whore like everyone else of my generation but lets not make it more than maybe a notch above mindless fun

ice grillin you

How Ike Reese made the leap from Eagles player to Philly sports radio staple
By Zach Berman

On the October 2008 evening when the Phillies won the World Series to end Philadelphia's 25-year drought of pro sports championships, the host on the region's renowned sports-talk radio station had worked in the business only a few months. The listening audience knew him best as someone who chased kickoffs and punts for the Eagles. He wasn't even from Philadelphia, which might as well be an occupational roadblock in a parochial market.

Ike Reese was in his rookie season on WIP (then AM-610, now FM-94.1) and hosted the type of solo show that would reveal whether he could make it in a job that didn't gauge a 40-yard dash time. He sat on the set of a remote broadcast from a sports bar in Newtown Square, Pa., knowing he was about to go on the air during an indelible moment in Philadelphia sports history. Once the game ended, there were bound to be colorful calls from euphoric fans leaving Citizens Bank Park.

He mimicked Harry Kalas when Brad Lidge struck out Eric Hinske for the final out: "Celebrate, Philadelphia! You're World Series champions!" He listened to fans explain how they wished their fathers or grandfathers could experience the moment with them. He heard from listeners who stumbled through cheers in a celebratory haze of euphoria and Yuengling.

It was the job Reese coveted: sitting behind a microphone and talking about Philly sports, not as a former athlete but as a radio host. Reese had spent much of his seven years with the Eagles just like many of the fans who watched him play. He drove to work each morning listening to Angelo Cataldi and the WIP morning team and drove home listening to Howard Eskin in the afternoons.

Reese discovered a theater that he never knew existed. He grew up as a rabid sports fan in Cincinnati. He played college football at Michigan State. But the type of discourse he heard on Philadelphia sports radio, which might have grated on his teammates or coaches, became intoxicating to someone who had imagined a potential post-football career as a television analyst. This was what he wanted to do.

He's been doing it since March 2008, when he transitioned from a nine-year NFL career to WIP. He now partners with Jon Marks, weekdays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. The 12-year run means he's been on the airwaves in the region nearly twice as long as he played for the Eagles. He's one of the most tenured hosts in the city, and an entire generation of fans knows him more for his commentary than his football career. Reese, 46, is not an athlete who went into radio after retirement as much as he is as a radio host who once played football. This distinction is important, and it matters to Reese.

"I won't minimize my playing days," Reese said, "because I felt honored and privileged and blessed. ... But man, there's something about doing this for as long as I've done it. I don't think I've been more proud of anything that I've accomplished than being able to carve out a career in one of the toughest markets, in the best sports market in the country."

Reese arrived in Philadelphia as a fifth-round pick in 1998 and has made it home, spending almost his entire adult life in the region. He lasted nine seasons in Philadelphia and Atlanta, played 144 regular-season games and nine postseason games, and earned one Pro Bowl appearance as a special teams standout. He also stood out because he had more of an interest than a distaste for media. Reese envisioned a post-football career as an analyst. Starting in his fourth season, he sought out opportunities as a regular guest on television and radio shows.

He spoke to the Eagles' media relations director about meeting key behind-the-scenes figures — not just on-air talent. He interned at Comcast SportsNet to learn different aspects of television work, sitting in on production meetings, watching the action in the control booth and serving as a field reporter. He went to a Phillies-Cubs series and interviewed Dusty Baker, Sammy Sosa, Larry Bowa and Jim Thome.

Reese took a liking to radio, which is not often the preferred path of athletes. He developed a close friendship with Anthony Gargano, who then worked for WIP and now is a host for 97.5 The Fanatic. Gargano looked out for Reese and made him a regular guest before expanding appearances to full shows.

"Believe me, radio wasn't the idea at the beginning," Reese said. "Once I started listening to sports-talk radio in Philadelphia, I just became a bigger fan of it. ... Angelo was either killing the Eagles in the morning or Howard was killing Allen Iverson in the afternoon. I found it to be entertaining! ... I would be cracking up listening to it or my mouth was locked just listening to Angelo or Howard with listeners. I've never heard that type of interaction with a 'media person' and fans. I fell in love with listening to WIP and became more and more intrigued by it."

At the time, Gargano hosted a Monday night show with Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter. Reese, just like on the field, was the backup. But he moved up the depth chart more on Monday nights than Sundays. And in this case, Reese was better than the starter, too.

He wasn't afraid to answer tough questions. He interacted with callers. He cared about sports topics that went beyond the Eagles. He talked about other sports. He had "a real ability to communicate and was extremely likable," according to Gargano.

"He was a sportsman," Gargano said. "I was on shows with a bunch of different guys, and they were awesome, but they were more players than fans of the game. And Ike was a sports fan."

WIP management knew Reese, and he remained on their radar even after he signed with the Falcons in 2005. Released by Atlanta in 2007, Reese returned to Philadelphia and charted his next career.

He had secured a gig as a television analyst on Eagles preseason games when several former coaches inquired about Reese becoming a coach. Reese considered the overtures, even seeking advice from the late Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson at a training camp practice in 2007.

"You're going to be a media star," Johnson told him, according to Reese. "Listen, to be a coach, you have to be 100 percent committed. And if your heart isn't all the way into it, don't do it. And I think you like doing the media stuff more than you want to coach."

Reese knew Johnson was right. He wanted a career in media. He started as a part-time WIP host, but when a full-time opening became available, he was offered a solo shot in the evening. Filling a few hours of airtime is hard enough with another host; doing it solo is a challenge, even for those with experience.

"'It's almost unfair, but it's great," Marks said. "You're going to know really fast if you can do this or not."

"I had to learn how to swim on the fly," Reese said.

"I knew he would swim, but it's incredibly daunting," Gargano said. "Not a lot of athletes would take that chance. A lot of these guys had cushy media gigs. Ike earned every bit of it."

He learned how to set up a show and the intricacies of a segment. He wanted to know how to drive calls and best practices for interacting with callers. There's an art to framing an argument. And when the phone lines don't light up, the host needs to keep going.

He met with former WIP executive Andy Bloom for up to two hours before shows. He studied his own tapes. He accepted notes from Gargano, who offered detailed feedback. One of the biggest adjustments for Reese was making live advertising reads sound natural. He practiced in front of the mirror at home. Reese used to dread them, but said they've become "second nature" during the past six to seven years.

The evening slot meant Reese often had corresponding games. That's how he ended up on the air when the Phillies won the World Series.

The Phillies were the hot team in the city at the time. It helped that he knew baseball. However, transparency was required. He was a fan, yes, but he was not steeped in Philadelphia sports history and didn't have childhood memories from the Spectrum or Veterans Stadium. He grew up following the Reds. He adored Kobe Bryant. He adopted Philadelphia sports but remained honest about his background.

"We sniff out people who are a Fugazi," Gargano said.

When he first started, Reese was open about his lack of hockey knowledge and wanted to make sure he didn't "come off as phony." So he added a segment each night: "Hockey in the hood." It was his way of incorporating Flyers fans. He watched the games and asked for insight about what he didn't understand. He needed patience from listeners and wanted their feedback.

"I came into this business as if I was a beginner, not as if I was a Pro Bowler being given something," said Reese, who acknowledged there were rough moments when he started. "My biggest help was the listeners. They offer constructive criticism because they wanted to see me get better at it. And I didn't get defensive about it."

In 2009, Reese was working when Kalas died. He had Rob Charry, who was doing updates for the show, join him on air because Reese didn't feel he had the history in Philadelphia to honor the moment. He was on air the day after the 2008 death of Philadelphia native John Marzano, a former baseball player and popular media personality, and tried to handle it with the appropriate sensitivity and necessary awareness.

Reese also needed to adjust to different partners over the years, often developing chemistry in real time. He credited his football background as a resource. A nine-year veteran with just five career starts only lasts if he's a good teammate and knows how to find other ways to add value.

His first partner was Eskin, a polarizing Philadelphia radio icon who spent most of his career hosting a solo show. Reese joked that when he survived working with Eskin for two years, he knew could survive anything.

"That's really being thrown into the fire," said Reese, adding that he learned the "dos and the don'ts" of the business alongside Eskin.

He's partnered with Michael Barkann, Chris Carlin and now Marks. They each brought their own experiences and personalities. Marks said that when he started working with Reese, the feedback he heard from Carlin was "he gets it" — a high compliment from a seasoned radio host.

"I don't know to an average listener if that comes off, but you know what comes off? When somebody doesn't get it," Marks said. "Some of the other guys I've worked with, I like them all but as far as being like, 'you're going to be able to do this and you're going to be able to do this for a long time,' that's what you know with Ike right away."

When Reese started in radio, Andy Reid was still the Eagles head coach and Reese had played with many of the players. He told his bosses: What the Eagles think of me, what Andy Reid thinks of me, what certain teammates think of me, it matters.

The faces on the coaching staff and in the locker room have changed, but Reese is still mindful of his relationships in the building. (Reese continues to work for the Eagles, which includes appearing on the postgame show on the team's website.) He doesn't hide from the fact that he's a former player and has allegiances to the organization. He'll be "critical if it's necessary," he said, but there's a line he won't cross.

"I never have to worry about him not giving his opinion on the Eagles," Marks said. "Now is he going to blast them like I might? No, he might not have the same tongue for the Eagles as I do, but I never have to worry if Ike's going to go soft for the Eagles."

The flip side is that Reese offers credibility as a longtime Eagle that differs from most talk-radio hosts. (Jon Ritchie is another former player who's made the transition to full-time WIP host, and Tra Thomas was a host on 97.5 until March.) Marks tries to capitalize on that experience, asking him what players think in the moment or how lockers rooms react in situations. Reese brings that perspective to breakdowns of players and plays. And the show can land certain guests because of Reese's background. Reid isn't calling in days before winning his first Super Bowl because of sentimentality for WIP. There's loyalty to Reese.

Yet the best compliment Marks might be able to give his co-host is that there are times Marks forgets that Reese played in the NFL. Reese is not playing the role of ex-athlete on air; he's a radio host. And with 12 years on air, he has the bona fides to match many of his colleagues and has built a loyal audience. "Marks and Reese" was the No. 1 afternoon show among 25-to-54-year-old men in January, February and March, according to Entercom, WIP's owner. A segment of that listening base knows Reese better as a radio host than as a former player.

There are still times when Marks and Reese are at a game or working from a remote location and a middle-aged fan thanks Reese for his "service," the type of recognition former Eagles will receive when they venture into Chickie's and Pete's. But a fan who's 25 years old was 9 when Reese last played in Philadelphia. His or her memory of an Eagle in No. 58 is Trent Cole or Jordan Hicks — not Reese.

"I love that there's a whole new audience, so to speak, that have become fans of mine through sports-talk radio," Reese said. "I get a lot of joy out of those people who know me strictly through the radio and don't know me from the playing days."

In fact, a particular source of pride comes when he's at a Wawa or the grocery store and somebody turns after hearing his voice. Athletes are used to eyes peering at them when they walk into a room. A radio host commands a glance when he or she speaks.

Reese isn't the only player who's transitioned to talk radio, but fewer ex-players fill time behind radio microphones than appear on television. He warns that this is not the post-football career for players seeking a lucrative salary — at least initially. They must "love doing it more than what it could do for them."

When Reese is introduced at a speaking gig, he has no objection to it being as a radio host. That's who he is. It's his passion. He doesn't listen to music in the car anymore. The radio is programmed to sports talk or the Radio.com app. This isn't a bridge to another career, either.

"When I'm done doing this," Reese said. "I won't be doing anything else."

He still has more ahead of him. He told his wife before he started that he wanted to become the No. 1 radio host in the market. He aspires to be like Cataldi or Eskin. He insists he's just getting started.

"I want to be one of the legends in this town," Reese said. "I want to be a guy they don't forget."

Munson

I still prefer Mikey miss *shrug*. I've actually turned on CSN a bunch during the lockdown to listen in.

Ike's voice just grates me a bit. But I always liked him as a player so I'll flip to 94.1 once in a while.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

Ike has always been one of my favorite Philly athletes and his transition to radio has indeed been good.

After the 2004 NFCCG when he said how much he wanted that for the fans...loved it.

MDS

i dont know if gargano turns on the souf feeley bo act for the microphone or if hes just morphed into this caricature but his quotes are nauseating
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 14, 2020, 05:19:53 PM
Ike has always been one of my favorite Philly athletes and his transition to radio has indeed been good.

After the 2004
NFCCG when he said how much he wanted that for the fans...loved it.

this

Ike is a farging philly legend

ice grillin you

Rome

Horace was and is a bad ass mofo. 

MDS

total missed opportunity to not touch on him on the bullets. i know it was supposed to be the 98 bulls but those 2 years were ripe for dissection.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I wanted something on that too.

I really enjoyed the doc. I'm amused at the people who are offended that he was hard on his teammates.

MDS

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds