Bush Leagues

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, October 21, 2011, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

I joined a 14-team money league this year as a favor to a friend, because they had a last minute cancellation. Facts:

1. I am one of four who has actually paid the commish. The commish himself is another.
2. No trades had been rejected by league vote to date.
3. I offered a team a trade that was accepted.
4. That team is co-managed, and the two managers agreed to accept the trade.
5. One of the two had second thoughts after the fact and emailed all other owners in the league asking them to vote against it.
6. Enough complied to reject it.

Diomedes

Sucker.

So you've got two options:

write it off and bail...stop setting lineups, move on, forget it.  tell your friend his league sucks and good luck bye
or
keep playing

your call champ
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

looks like you wasted $20 and for someone like you i can imagine how bad that is
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It is actually $50. I decided not to do any leagues for less than that, because I thought it would help me avoid things like this.

Quote from: Diomedes on October 21, 2011, 09:59:05 PM
So you've got two options:

write it off and bail...stop setting lineups, move on, forget it.  tell your friend his league sucks and good luck bye
or
keep playing

I was going to roll with that first option, but my friend already knows the league sucks at this point, so really nothing gained there. Just continuing on but won't invest any time in it.

rjs246

Other than the time spent whining on messages boards about it, I assume.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

bush leagues?

lets see....

any league that:

has flex positions
has more than ten teams
doesnt have an in person draft
uses team defenses
uses two quarterbacks
has more than four playoff teams
gives bonus points for yardage
keeper leagues
non ppr

those are the obvious ones...add on...
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

Lol is there a better example of igy then that post?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 22, 2011, 09:18:10 AM
has flex positions - One W/R or W/R/T flex is fine. More or a flex where you can play a QB is LOL.
has more than ten teams - Absolutely wrong. 10 or fewer teams makes it more about luck than skill.
doesnt have an in person draft - Ha, ok. Easier said than done.
uses team defenses - Absolutely wrong again. IDP points are almost completely random. Use team D's or don't bother using defenses at all.
uses two quarterbacks - Agreed.
has more than four playoff teams - Makes sense for a 10-teamer. No more than 6 for other leagues.
gives bonus points for yardage - Agreed. Too arbitrary.
keeper leagues - Agreed.
non ppr - Agreed.

I'll add this one... leagues where return yardage gets points... especially to the point of return guys being better than WRs who catch 80 balls in a season.

ice grillin you

tem defenses are for lazy people who dont know anything about the sport

half the league making the playoffs (ie six teams in a 12 team league) is a disgrace in a 12 or 13 game season

in a ten team league the waiver wire sucks...go to 12 or 14 and its a complete joke...the league becomes a watered down mess

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 22, 2011, 09:18:10 AM
bush leagues?

lets see....

any league that:

has flex positions - 1 flex is fine, no QB.  Backs and receivers only.
has more than ten teams - 10 is good, 12 is better.  You ain't winning a 12 team league without knowledge, son. 
doesnt have an in person draft - In person drafts are 1000x better but has 0 impact on the league itself.  I play in a league with a bunch of guys that I was stationed with in KC.  For 2 or 3 years we did in person drafts, then we slowly started getting moved to different duty stations.  Online draft became a necessity. 
uses team defenses - Disagree.  You can use team d and still have an allowance for individual defensive players if you want.  I know we did that for a while in the regular :CF league when there was enough people to have one.  However, team defense should always include special teams.  Agree with FF that you shouldn't get return points for Devon Hester.  You want his yards and td's, play the Bears D. 
uses two quarterbacks - Agreed.
has more than four playoff teams - Agreed. 
gives bonus points for yardage - I'm not sure what this means.  I don't think I've ever played in a league that gives bonus points for anything.  It sounds awful though. 
keeper leagues - I enjoy the keeper league just as much as a 1 year and done league.  As long as the keeper league stays together for years, it's fun.  It's franchise mode.  Draft well, keep the right players and you'll be good for a few years.  Draft like crap and it could take a while to win.  Not to mention that other than the first season, draft order is determined on the previous year's standings and not something as arbitrary as picking names from a hat. 
non ppr - Meh...I don't care one way or the other.  It's a passing league now so ppr stats are a bit inflated imo.  10 years ago when there were only a few RB's in the league who caught a lot of passes, it was an advantage to have them. 

those are the obvious ones...add on...

I see what you're doing though.  You're taking the rules of like 90% of the fantasy leagues out there and talking them down so as to talk yourself up.  HAIL! 

Sgt PSN

This seems as good of a place as any to have a fantasy gripe/question. 

Squaw started playing this year.  12 team money league that's basically full of newbies (she's tied for 1st place. lol)  There's one guy who drafted, set his roster and hasn't touched it since.  At first no one thought anything of it but now that we are into bye weeks, his roster still remains the same.  So it's obvious that the guy isn't managing his team.  Not surprisingly, he's 1-5. 

I've never commished a league before, but can the commish make changes to an individuals roster?  I told squaw to get with her commish and have him fill the roster with scrubs and release the few good players on the roster so that the rest of the league can scavenge them.  This way, it's basically a guaranteed win for everyone when they play him.  Is that even possible?  Can the commish go back to the week where the guy won and adjust the roster so that it goes as a loss?  It's a yahoo league if that makes a difference. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

If the guy paid his money, that's fine. If he didn't pay, he almost certainly won't now. The commish should probably keep the team the same now that he's already let 6 games go through. Not really fair to make it competitive now. But had the issue been figured out sooner, the commish should have managed the team, at least dropping injured players and swapping guys out of the lineup on bye weeks.

Sgt PSN

So the commish can manage a team, which is the answer to one question.  Can the commish go back to the 1 week where the guy won (week 3 I believe) and edit that roster so he takes a loss instead? 

Whether the guy paid or not is irrelevant, it's about making things as fair as possible for the other 11 teams.  If the commish is going to manage the team and fill the roster with scrubs so that everyone who plays him gets a guaranteed win, then it should go backwards and apply to the one person who took a loss, no?  It would suck if the difference between making the playoffs is the 1 loss that someone took against him, right?  And no, it isn't squaw who lost to him so I'm not trying to tilt the odds in her favor.  She hasn't even played him yet. 

I'm really not sure what the correct protocol is when someone drops, I don't recall ever being in a league where someone does that.  Especially when they basically don't touch their roster from day 1. 

ice grillin you

you know if you are in a ppr league you can change the amount of pts given out for yards....

you gotta tweak and tweak and tweak until you get it right...it takes years of practice to perfect a fantasy league...i got there like five years ago and its one of my lifes greatest achievements

rjs246

And there you have it.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.