07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: MDS on October 13, 2007, 12:31:22 PM
Schilling:

Quote"You have to put that my first choice is to stay here," he said during batting practice last night. "But if it doesn't work out, the Phillies are absolutely on the short list of places we'd want to go.

"There are probably still some people in Philadelphia who would rather not have me back. So we'll just have to see how it goes."
I'd love to get Schill back.  I'm guessing he's talking about Montgomery
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Ownership is the only thing I could come up with too because other than maybe Burrell, I don't think any players were around when Schill was here.  Same goes for the coaching staff and key players in the front office. 

MDS

CSN said that according to the Bucks County Courier Times (is that Miller?), the Phillies want Schilling back too. So....
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

NGM

This might be posted somewhere earlier in the thread, but Phil Conlin was speculating (probably only that) that the Phils are going to make a run at oft-injured, former all-star 3B Hank Blalock.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

SunMo

another lefty in the lineup?  pass
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

NGM

Quote from: SunMo on October 14, 2007, 12:43:17 PM
another lefty in the lineup?  pass

Blalock on the DL is better than Wes Helms evar.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Geowhizzer

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

BigEd76

It's not a rumor.  It was a "would they return?" dream article that said there's zero chance of Rolen ever returning to the Phillies.

Geowhizzer

Like I said, zero substantiation.

Nor do I want Rolen back.  Between his departure, shots at the team and the fans, injuries and declining production, I'd rather go with a Lowell.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 14, 2007, 02:03:26 PM
Nor do I want Rolen back.  Between his departure, shots at the team and the fans, injuries and declining production, I'd rather go with a Lowell.

Word, son.  Even when he's been healthy, he hasn't produced much at the plate.  His defense is still solid but offensively he's been on the decline the last couple years.  Plus it seems like he's had McNabb-like injury problems and failed to finish like 2 or 3 out of the last 4 years or so.  And even if his days in St Louis are numbered, I seriously doubt he would ever want to come back to Philly. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Some loser writer for the Courier Times wrote an article for today's paper on how the Phillies could build a WS team within their budget.  Signing Schilling was part of it, but it was all speculation and not based on any inside knowledge or anything.

Rome

QuoteHow to turn the Phillies into champions

By RANDY MILLER
phillyBurbs.com

We know who's on first and what's on second, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. And in keeping Abbott and Costello's spirit alive, starting at third base for your 2008 Phillies is ... I don't know.

At this point, neither does general manager Pat Gillick.

The Phillies have plenty of offseason work ahead because their 2007 club, while winning 89 games and the National League East, was flawed.

What should the Phillies do this winter to improve?

Gillick won't ask for our help, but here's how we'd try spending the $23 million we believe the Phillies have freed up this winter in a 2008 payroll that they say will be at least $95 million.

Transaction No. 1: Sign Curt Schilling to a one-year, $13 million deal with a $15 million club option or $2 million buyout for 2009.

The Phils need a No. 2 starter to pair with young ace Cole Hamels, and Schilling is perfect. He'll be 41 next year and doesn't throw 95 mph anymore, but he'd still be an ace on many teams and his postseason pedigree is among the best of all-time.

Schilling made $13 million in Boston this year, and our deal adds $2 million when factoring in the buyout. This probably would be enough because Schilling has talked for years of his desire to end his career in Philly.

2007 dollars spent: $13 million; Free dollars: $10 million.

Transaction No. 2: Re-sign lefty reliever J.C. Romero to a 3-year, $9 million deal that includes a $2.5 million 2008 salary.

You never know what you're getting one year to the next from a reliever, but it's not cheap nowadays to build a bullpen and this deal would be similar to nice deals that a few non-closer relievers received last season.

2007 dollars spent: $15.5 million; Free dollars: $7.5 million.

Transaction No. 3: Sign reliever David Riske to a three-year, $10 million deal that includes a $3 million 2008 salary.

Milwaukee's Scott Linebrink, another right-handed reliever, is a bigger name and has been pursued by the Phils for two years, but Riske might be a better option. He has a 3.40 ERA over eight big-league seasons and this year posted a terrific 2.45 ERA in 65 games for Kansas City.

2007 dollars spent: $18.5 million; Free dollars: $4.5 million.

Transaction No. 4: Sign infielder Mark Loretta to a 2-year, $6.5 million deal that includes a $3 million base salary for 2008.

Loretta is a natural second baseman, but also plays third and is a pretty good contact hitter with a .298 career average.

Using free agency to sign Mike Lowell is a better option, but he figures to be too expensive.

2007 dollars spent: $21.5 million; Free dollars: $1.5 million.

Transaction No. 5: Sign center fielder Mike Cameron to a 3-year, $27 million deal that includes an $8 million salary for 2008.

Cameron will turn 35 in January, but should be able to play his usual great center field for another three seasons. He also has power. His 43 homers over the last two seasons playing for San Diego, which has a huge home field, probably translates to 30 for the Phillies, who play in a home run haven.

2007 dollars spent: $29.5 million; Free dollars: $6.5 million over budget.

Transaction No. 6: Trade left fielder Pat Burrell and reliever Geoff Geary to Anaheim for two decent minor leaguers.

We must stay on budget, so Burrell and Geary must go in a salary dump.

Burrell has $14 million coming in 2008, the final year of his contract, and we're going to pay half and kick in another $500,000 so he waives his no-trade clause. Dealing Geary, who is arbitration eligible, would save another $1 million. Just like that, we're in the black.

The Angels badly need a DH. They used 13 of them in 2007 with Shea Hillenbrand getting the most starts, 44.

As for the Phils, righty-swinging slugger Jayson Werth and lefty-swinging speedster Michael Bourn can share left field in 2008.

2007 dollars spent: $23 million; Free dollars: $0.

There you have it, a championship team in place.

BigEd76

Not paying Rowand $11M/yr then paying Cameron $9M/yr is super smart

Geowhizzer

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 14, 2007, 06:24:28 PM
Not paying Rowand $11M/yr then paying Cameron $9M/yr is super smart

Exactly.