07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Quote from: reese125 on October 12, 2007, 08:07:50 AM
Rowand requesting 6 years $84 milion.

See ya. Take care of yourself

That's from Randarino.  He also says the Phils want to sign Schilling and Rivera...

ice grillin you

actually those numbers are from rowands agent...numbers hes throwing out there to try and inflate his market
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MDS on October 12, 2007, 02:15:45 AM
You want someone two people hitting under .200 in the lineup (Abe and Pitcher) because Abe saves a few runs here and there in an important offensive position. That would be the first time in baseball history someone has an everyday job at third because of his defense. Normally you see that at catcher, with someone like Henry Blanco getting a nice career (for the most part in the AL), or a shortstop (Rey Ordonez comes to mind). Never at third. It's behind center, short, catcher and second in terms of defensive importance and wasting a spot on a pathetic hitter like Abe because of his above average glove is ridiculous and stupid.

The Phils generate so much offense from non traditional positions like SS and 2B that they don't really "need" the offensive production normally associated with a 3B.  What they need is someone who can field the position and any offensive production that he brings to the plate is gravy imo.

Am I campaigning for Nunez to be the Phillies starting 3b next year?  No.  I'm simply campaigning for them to not ax the best one they've got until they actually bring in someone better.  

Wingspan

I have an idea, lets argue for 3 more pages about a 3B that was cut already.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

Hi Wingspan. Welcome to Concrete Field. Nice to meet you.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD_Eagle5

ha^^^^

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 12, 2007, 10:27:17 AM
Quote from: reese125 on October 12, 2007, 08:07:50 AM
Rowand requesting 6 years $84 milion.

See ya. Take care of yourself

That's from Randarino.  He also says the Phils want to sign Schilling and Rivera...

In

And if Rowand wants close to those #s then no thanks. I'd rather that money went towards pitching.

ice grillin you

i would bet anything that in the phillies warped minds that they are intending to take a run at rivera to be a set up man for myers
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 12, 2007, 10:37:39 AM
Quote from: MDS on October 12, 2007, 02:15:45 AM
You want someone two people hitting under .200 in the lineup (Abe and Pitcher) because Abe saves a few runs here and there in an important offensive position. That would be the first time in baseball history someone has an everyday job at third because of his defense. Normally you see that at catcher, with someone like Henry Blanco getting a nice career (for the most part in the AL), or a shortstop (Rey Ordonez comes to mind). Never at third. It's behind center, short, catcher and second in terms of defensive importance and wasting a spot on a pathetic hitter like Abe because of his above average glove is ridiculous and stupid.

The Phils generate so much offense from non traditional positions like SS and 2B that they don't really "need" the offensive production normally associated with a 3B.  What they need is someone who can field the position and any offensive production that he brings to the plate is gravy imo.

Am I campaigning for Nunez to be the Phillies starting 3b next year?  No.  I'm simply campaigning for them to not ax the best one they've got until they actually bring in someone better.   

they didnt cut him. they declined to pick up his option. it either pay him 250k to walk away, or pay him 2 mil to be on the roster. it was the right move.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

You guys realize that Wes Helms is still on the squad, right?  If they don't find someone to take him off their hands he'll be the starting third baseman next April.

That's the way this farged up team rolls.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 12, 2007, 01:07:21 PM
You guys realize that Wes Helms is still on the squad, right?  If they don't find someone to take him off their hands he'll be the starting third baseman next April.

That's the way this farged up team rolls.

I'd disagree with you except they went into last season thinking he was the answer at 3rd so I don't see why this season is any different. I'm unusually optimistic that with making the playoffs, the fan support, and having some dead money come off the books they'll make some big moves. They almost signed Soriano last season, I think there was legit interest and that it wasn't just a smoke screen, so that tells me they're at least willing to put big money out on decent players. I'm probably wrong but we'll see.

SunMo

Baltimore fired Leo Mazzone...Pat Gillick should be sending a limo right now
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: SunMo on October 12, 2007, 04:30:25 PM
Baltimore fired Leo Mazzone...Pat Gillick should be sending a limo right now

Ha, I thought the same thing when I heard that.

MDS

Schilling:

Quote"You have to put that my first choice is to stay here," he said during batting practice last night. "But if it doesn't work out, the Phillies are absolutely on the short list of places we'd want to go.

"There are probably still some people in Philadelphia who would rather not have me back. So we'll just have to see how it goes."
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.