Random Eagles Information Still Not Worthy of a New Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, March 24, 2011, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6808032/oh-my-god-eagles

QuoteThe big loser

The Philadelphia Eagles entered the free-agent period in arguably the best situation of any team in football. As one of the league's best teams at handling the salary cap, the Eagles are in possession of one of the NFL's rarest and most enviable situations: A spare starting quarterback. While the jury is still out on Kevin Kolb's professional viability, it's clear there are teams who value him as an immediate starter with significant long-term potential. And while the Eagles have a huge hole in their lineup, it's at cornerback, one of the few positions where this market is strong.

On Tuesday, just about everything that could have gone wrong for the Eagles did.

Let's start with Kolb, who may not even be a valuable asset by this time tomorrow. By signing Jackson, the Seahawks signaled that they're not going to be serious players in any sort of Kolb sweepstakes. The Bengals don't appear to be interested in Kolb, having started negotiations with Gradkowski while suggesting that Carson Palmer isn't going to be playing anywhere else in 2011. (Palmer didn't have a great Tuesday, either.) That leaves the Cardinals as the only viable suitor for Kolb. Despite that fact, the Eagles are reportedly asking for a first-round pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, a haul that would make sense only if the Eagles had leverage. Instead, the Cardinals could just choose to sign Hasselbeck or deal a midround pick for Orton while holding onto Rodgers-Cromartie, leaving the Eagles without a trading partner.

The other problem for the Eagles is that Rodgers-Cromartie might not be what they're looking for. While he would be a huge upgrade on Dimitri Patterson, he's a step below Johnathan Joseph and several below Nnamdi Asomugha, each of whom could be viable targets for Philly in free agency. In an ideal world for the Eagles, they would get a chance to bid on Asomugha and Joseph, and if they strike out, still have the opportunity to get Rodgers-Cromartie as part of a package for Kolb. It's possible that things could still work out that way, but it's becoming very clear that the market for Kolb is getting squeezed. That leaves the Eagles in danger of ending up with two quarterbacks and no cornerback.

The Asomugha market ramped up on Tuesday when the Steelers inked Ike Taylor to a four-year deal. The Taylor signing shouldn't directly affect the Eagles, since they really should have avoided him anyway, but it takes one of the most prominent cornerbacks available off of the market. Teams like the Texans and Lions who might have settled for adding Taylor now have one fewer cornerback to go for, creating more demand for Asomugha among those teams desperate to add a star corner. The Ravens also appear to be considering a move for Asomugha, having cleared out cap space by releasing veterans Willis McGahee, Derrick Mason, and Todd Heap.

Philly also had a curious day with its own free agents. Although it's possible that the Eagles were comfortable letting safety Quintin Mikell go without any sort of offer, it seems likely they were hoping to let him find a small deal on the market before matching it and keeping him in the fold for the short-term. Mikell signed a four-year deal with the Rams on Tuesday to replace O.J. Atogwe, rejoining him with former Eagles coach Steve Spagnuolo. He's a declining player who whiffed on a team-high 12 tackles last year, but the Eagles are extremely light in the secondary and relying on rookie Jaiquawn Jarrett and second-year man Nate Allen to recover from a torn patella he suffered at the end of December.

The Eagles have also reportedly decided to pass on re-signing all of their unrestricted free agents, including starting linebacker Stewart Bradley. Bradley was expected to re-sign with the team and move to outside linebacker while creating a spot for wunderkind Jamar Chaney in the middle, but the Eagles appear ready to give up on the oft-injured Bradley. Finally, Philadelphia rescinded the transition tag placed on kicker David Akers, making him an unrestricted free agent and likely ending his tenure in Philadelphia. Akers and Mikell, coincidentally were the last two players left from the 2004 Eagles team that made the Super Bowl.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: SunMo on July 27, 2011, 11:46:58 AM
pretty crazy offseason so far.

eagles have been linked to zero players.

But are the Flyers done yet?

ice grillin you

the eagles back seven right now??

keenan clayton
jamar chaney
moises fokou

assante samuel
trevard lindley
knee allen
kurt coleman
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

I think Jarrett goes to camp penciled as the starter

ice grillin you

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

is it possible that the eagles are going to tank it in 2011 in order for andy to get andrew luck

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 27, 2011, 01:36:01 PM
is it possible that the eagles are going to tank it in 2011 in order for andy to get andrew luck

Vick alone gets them 6 wins. You think Andy has Gillooly on speed dial?

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

mikey418

Edwards said he is talking to "many" teams - didn't seem too positive about going back to Minny.  Did say the Charles Johnson deal in Carolina helped him quite a bit...
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

ice grillin you

phillycrew

Quote from: SunMo on July 27, 2011, 12:32:42 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6808032/oh-my-god-eagles
I disagree that ARC is worse than Jonathan Joseph.  That said, if the trade with Arizona falls through, I would be okay with the Eagles keeping Kolb.  Of course, it sounds like AR made some sort of promise to Kolb to trade him so he could start somewhere.
QuoteThe big loser

The Philadelphia Eagles entered the free-agent period in arguably the best situation of any team in football. As one of the league's best teams at handling the salary cap, the Eagles are in possession of one of the NFL's rarest and most enviable situations: A spare starting quarterback. While the jury is still out on Kevin Kolb's professional viability, it's clear there are teams who value him as an immediate starter with significant long-term potential. And while the Eagles have a huge hole in their lineup, it's at cornerback, one of the few positions where this market is strong.

On Tuesday, just about everything that could have gone wrong for the Eagles did.

Let's start with Kolb, who may not even be a valuable asset by this time tomorrow. By signing Jackson, the Seahawks signaled that they're not going to be serious players in any sort of Kolb sweepstakes. The Bengals don't appear to be interested in Kolb, having started negotiations with Gradkowski while suggesting that Carson Palmer isn't going to be playing anywhere else in 2011. (Palmer didn't have a great Tuesday, either.) That leaves the Cardinals as the only viable suitor for Kolb. Despite that fact, the Eagles are reportedly asking for a first-round pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, a haul that would make sense only if the Eagles had leverage. Instead, the Cardinals could just choose to sign Hasselbeck or deal a midround pick for Orton while holding onto Rodgers-Cromartie, leaving the Eagles without a trading partner.

The other problem for the Eagles is that Rodgers-Cromartie might not be what they're looking for. While he would be a huge upgrade on Dimitri Patterson, he's a step below Johnathan Joseph and several below Nnamdi Asomugha, each of whom could be viable targets for Philly in free agency. In an ideal world for the Eagles, they would get a chance to bid on Asomugha and Joseph, and if they strike out, still have the opportunity to get Rodgers-Cromartie as part of a package for Kolb. It's possible that things could still work out that way, but it's becoming very clear that the market for Kolb is getting squeezed. That leaves the Eagles in danger of ending up with two quarterbacks and no cornerback.

The Asomugha market ramped up on Tuesday when the Steelers inked Ike Taylor to a four-year deal. The Taylor signing shouldn't directly affect the Eagles, since they really should have avoided him anyway, but it takes one of the most prominent cornerbacks available off of the market. Teams like the Texans and Lions who might have settled for adding Taylor now have one fewer cornerback to go for, creating more demand for Asomugha among those teams desperate to add a star corner. The Ravens also appear to be considering a move for Asomugha, having cleared out cap space by releasing veterans Willis McGahee, Derrick Mason, and Todd Heap.

Philly also had a curious day with its own free agents. Although it's possible that the Eagles were comfortable letting safety Quintin Mikell go without any sort of offer, it seems likely they were hoping to let him find a small deal on the market before matching it and keeping him in the fold for the short-term. Mikell signed a four-year deal with the Rams on Tuesday to replace O.J. Atogwe, rejoining him with former Eagles coach Steve Spagnuolo. He's a declining player who whiffed on a team-high 12 tackles last year, but the Eagles are extremely light in the secondary and relying on rookie Jaiquawn Jarrett and second-year man Nate Allen to recover from a torn patella he suffered at the end of December.

The Eagles have also reportedly decided to pass on re-signing all of their unrestricted free agents, including starting linebacker Stewart Bradley. Bradley was expected to re-sign with the team and move to outside linebacker while creating a spot for wunderkind Jamar Chaney in the middle, but the Eagles appear ready to give up on the oft-injured Bradley. Finally, Philadelphia rescinded the transition tag placed on kicker David Akers, making him an unrestricted free agent and likely ending his tenure in Philadelphia. Akers and Mikell, coincidentally were the last two players left from the 2004 Eagles team that made the Super Bowl.

PhillyPhreak54

AGGRESSIVE!

GO FOR IT!

FASTBALLZZZZZZZZZZZ!

farg you, FO!

ice grillin you