Golf

Started by stalker, January 29, 2009, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Tiger won #82 in Japan.   Beyond amazing. 

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

He's a 43 yr-old man with four back surgeries, five knee surgeries, and any number of other physical ailments that would have derailed anyone else. 

I know you think he's a piece of shtein, and maybe he is, but his achievements in his sport are iconic and will stand for all time.

And by the looks of things, he's not done yet. 

SD

Quote from: Rome on October 28, 2019, 06:08:35 AM
He's a 43 yr-old man with four back surgeries, five knee surgeries, and any number of other physical ailments that would have derailed anyone else. 

It's golf, not exactly physically demanding

Just look at the 70 year old tub of lard in office, he plays 4 times a week

Rome

You and I can toss a football around at a tailgate but that doesn't mean we can play QB in the Super Bowl.

And it's 100% physically demanding at that level.  It just is but whatever. 

SD

If by physically demanding you mean he uses his body sure. But being good at golf at 43 isn't a rare feat.

10 Oldest Major Championship Winners
Here are the 10 oldest winners of men's golf majors:

Julius Boros: 1968 PGA Championship, 48 years, 4 months, 18 days
Old Tom Morris: 1867 British Open, 46 years, 99 days
Jack Nicklaus: 1986 Masters, 46 years, 2 months, 23 days
Jerry Barber: 1961 PGA Championship, 45 Years, 3 months, 6 days
Hale Irwin: 1990 U.S. Open, 45 years, 15 days old
Lee Trevino: 1984 PGA Championship, 44 years, 8 months, 18 days
Roberto de Vicenzo: 1967 British Open, 44 years, 93 days
Harry Vardon: 1914 British Open, 44 years, 41 days
Raymond Floyd: 1986 U.S. Open, 43 years, 9 months, 11 days
Ted Ray: 1920 U.S. Open, 43 years, 4 months, 16 days old

1867...there wasn't sports medicine and trainers back then

Diomedes

A pastime like golf can be physically demanding without requiring actual athletic ability.   Plenty of non-athletes winning golf tournaments.  It's like bowling.  Sure, it's demanding in its way, but you don't have to be fit to excel at it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

That's utter nonsense but I'm screaming at the rain here. 

MDS

I know you think he's a piece of shtein, and maybe he is, but his achievements in his sport are iconic and will stand for all time.

aint no maybe

and theres no such thing as a golf achievement in japan. this tournament could not have counted for less
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on October 28, 2019, 06:32:44 AM

It's golf, not exactly physically demanding

Just look at the 70 year old tub of lard in office, he plays 4 times a week

i probably dont think its as physically demanding as romey does but you cant compare lump playing for a few hours being driven in a cart to his ball for each shot to walking 18 holes at the us open in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity for four straight days
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

i enjoyed watching that sunday much more than i thought i would.  charles should do color for real golf when it comes back.

Rome

I've been playing lately.  I can't hit the ball with any sort of consistency anymore.  I can hit it but I have no idea where it's going.   I was a 6-handicap in my 30s. I'd say I'm a 20-handicap now at best.

Getting old farging sucks, guys.  It's depressing as hell, actually.  I highly recommend avoiding it if at all possible.

Don Ho

Surf, Romey, surf.  Florida, waves, beautiful beaches.  Beat downs by liquid mother nature is much more enjoyable than three putting from two feet. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

DJ finished with seven straight pars and shot 60

worst 60 ever?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous