Rest Of Baseball - 2021

Started by PhillyPhreak54, January 07, 2021, 12:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Dunno - he's been in the league 10-11yrs so maybe he was just done. He didn't even announce it - he had his wife do it.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 29, 2021, 07:07:39 PM
someone look up for me why Kyle Seager retired...thanks

Here's the "full" statement.  Posted on his wife's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/JulieSeager15/status/1476260589756366854

I haven't seen anything else to give context.

QB Eagles

He made a ton of money, had a solid career, and got an emotional sendoff by the only fanbase he's played for. To me the question is why more guys don't do that. Once I hit a certain level of savings, I'm gonna stop working too.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

Swell!  I know they signed a Cuban prospect but I'm so used to the Phillies persuing foriegn players like Nanook of The North or Long Duk Dong.  Fricken Mets.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Ortiz in the HOF.  Bonds and Clemens out.

EDIT:  Howard below 5%, so he's off the ballot in the future.  Rollins was at 9.4%.

Rome

Rolen hit 63%.  Rollins at 9.4%??

That's utterly ridiculous. 

MDS

Quote from: Rome on January 25, 2022, 06:49:53 PM
Rolen hit 63%.  Rollins at 9.4%??

That's utterly ridiculous.

similar paths for their first years on the ballot...rolen's stock has risen. he's a very very good hitter for a 3B and probably the best defensive player at his position of his generation if not ever (defensive is always a tough gauge and is anecdotal). hes also a humungous bitch who whined his way out of town.

i dont think either belong in but craig biggio is in so whatever who cares
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

I disagree...if you compare Rollins #s with other SS in the HOF who've played over the last 40 years:
Jimmy Rollins is just 1 of 7 shortstops with 2,000 hits and 700 extra base hits
Jimmy Rollins is just 1 of 5 shortstops with 2,000 hits and 400 stolen bases
Only Jimmy Rollins and Honus Wagner have 2,000 hits, 700 extra base hits, and 400 stolen bases
Rollins is the ONLY SHORTSTOP EVER to win an MVP in addition to 4 Gold Gloves
Among shortstops with at least 10 years of service time, Jimmy Rollins ranks second in fielding percentage behind Omar Vizquel
Jimmy Rollins has more runs, hits, doubles, triples, homeruns, and stolen bases than Barry Larkin. He also has 1 more Gold Glove than Larkin.
Jimmy Rollins has more runs, doubles, triples, home runs, RBI AND a better fielding percentage than Ozzie Smith
Jimmy Rollins has more triples, stolen bases, and Gold Gloves than Cal Ripken Jr.
Jimmy Rollins has more triples, and stolen bases than Derek Jeter. He also has a better slugging and fielding percentage than him as well.

I copy and pasted that ^^^^ but winning a World Series and his clutch hits in the NLCS games should also factor in. He deserves to be there just as much as any SS in history

MDS

i dont get the positional comps...jimmy's offense is the same as babe ruth or ozzie smith or carlton fisk...hes a dude with a bat just like they were.

jimmys defense was great not special. to even get in the hall argument he needed to be the best defensive SS of his era. he wasnt. its the hall of fame not the hall of very good players
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

If you don't get the positional comps there's only 5 SS's who meet the typical hof hitting criteria (there's 30 ss in the hof so by your standard only 1/6 are worthy), 4 with over 3k hits, 1 with over 500 hrs and only one with over 400 (Ripken who also had 3k hits). Rollins has the 2nd highest fielding % all time of any player with over 10 years and would enter the hof as the highest fielding % ss. Please enlighten me how his fielding wasn't special...% is the most accurate way to gauge a SS's defense. 3b, ss and catcher get special treatment because the skill it takes to play those positions is a lot higher than the other position.

ice grillin you

his fielding was great but not elite
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

He belongs in the hall.  It's not even an argument.

MDS

it is very much an argument...he needed to be omar vizquel in the field and he wasnt.

we all watched jimmy for his entire career. at no point when i watched jimmy, except for one season, did i feel he was a special player. an all time phillie/legend/pimp...yes. but someone who belonged in cooperstown? no

QB Eagles

Over 90% of the people who write about baseball for a living apparently think it is an argument.