Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Coming back from Wawa this afternoon and saw a Bentley Continental GT roll past me.

This area has its fair share of really rich people (billionaires) but it's rare to see anything like that on the road. 

farging gorgeous piece.

Diomedes

Looks like a bit like a modern Mustang mated with a modern Jaguar.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I see Ferraris and Lamborghinis occasionally.  The Bentley is $200K which is chicken feed to a really rich person.  There's a guy who lives on the ocean who drives a McLaren.  I see it from time to time. 

The Bentley really turned my head around, though.  Just gorgeous.

Diomedes

Bentleys always turn my head, too.  They have a presence.  They look heavy but ready to move at once. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I gave my daughter my car to use at school a few months ago.  It was a nice 2015 Mazda 6.  Really good on gas, low miles, paid like $15K for it three years ago. 

Three years later a similarly equipped used 2018 Mazda 6 is $25K.

I reallllly picked a bad time to buy a car, fellas.

General_Failure

It's a bad time to buy anything, really. House, car, fancy bourbon, electronics.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

But Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos are making enough to buy trips into space.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah.

I bought the Mustang in 2018. It's a 2019 model with 18k miles and I've been offered almost what I paid for it. People are listing and getting $30k for 2015s!

I filled out a form from carvana to see what my truck is worth and it's a 2010 F-150 with 134k and they'd give me $12k.

Until the new car chip shortages and other material shortages are over the used market will stay hot.

Rome

I have no choice right now.  I have a department vehicle I use for commuting and for my job but I have to be really careful about using it for personal trips.  I can go to the store or whatever but there's eyes on us all the time and if I ever got into a wreck after hours, every last one of them would be on me. 

Anyway, found a 2018 Accord Touring.  Very nice but it's on hold for someone else at CarMax.  If they pass it's all mine.  They won't because I have the worst luck on the planet when it comes to buying cars.   

But they're really cool people to deal with as far as used car salespeople go.  We'll see. 

Rome

Got farged over on the Accord.  Found a 2019 Nissan Altima SR online whose price seemed too good to be true, so I called and managed to get them to agree to the internet price.  $27K out the door.

I probably paid $5,000 more than it's worth but you gotta do what you gotta do right now.

Diomedes

A neighbor bought a house around the corner at auction, to either renovate and move his family into, or to flip..depends how the numbers add up by the end of the project. 

It's got a detached garage with an abandoned Cadillac in it.  He's got a key to it but no title, and that's all he knows.  Doesn't know the model, or year.  Hasn't even been in the garage.  Weeks and weeks this dude has owned this property now, and he hasn't bothered to check out the car.

I don't understand that at all.

I made him promise to let me go with him to see what it is and what else is in that garage.

Diomedes

I came close as ever to bidding with intent to buy ... chickened out, which a wise move when you're responsible for other humans.

Some day though I'm gonna buy some cool ass shtein like this and pour more money into making it cooler.  In this case, I think the open diff has to go.  Otherwise, what a rad car and you can't fake the seller's command of the vehicle, parts, etc.  For around ten grand I could have had it dropped off at my house.....sigh.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-volvo-940-7/

PhillyPhreak54

The modded Volvo market surprises me. I see wagons and others running around here from time to time.