Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Oh he's got a compost pile on his property alright.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: SD_Eagle on June 18, 2008, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on June 18, 2008, 09:00:32 AM
Quote from: FastFreddie on June 18, 2008, 08:56:40 AM
The man won the Nobel Peace Prize; you'd think he'd practice what he preaches a little bit better and reduce his energy footprint.

Truth.

For the shtein that he's stirred he should have solar panels on his roof, windmills in  his backyard, and a compost pile somewhere on his property...and even that wouldn't be enough.

Apparently, he really has attempted to subsidize his energy SOURCES with "green" options as much as possible.  The issue is that he's actually been using more energy since the updates.

I'm a capitalist.  The man has made a lot of money and should be able to live in a nice, large home if he wants to.  HOWEVER, if he's making the money from raising awareness of environmental causes and scaring countless people into reducing their usage in order to save the planet, he should practice what he preaches and do the same.

Quote from: rjs246 on June 18, 2008, 09:24:26 AM
Oh he's got a compost pile on his property alright.

Tipper?

SD_Eagle5

For some reason I'm reminded of when I lived in San Diego during the rolling blackouts. Environmentalists, the local news, and everyone was preaching conserve and that it was the consumers fault for using too much energy. All along it was Enron. Gore is a limousine liberal.

Cerevant

Carbon footprint != Energy footprint.  Gore uses renewable energy sources and buys carbon offsets (dodgy?  that's another argument)  I would bet that Al Gore has a smaller carbon footprint than anyone on this message board.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Cerevant on June 18, 2008, 03:55:38 PM
Carbon footprint != Energy footprint.  Gore uses renewable energy sources and buys carbon offsets (dodgy?  that's another argument)  I would bet that Al Gore has a smaller carbon footprint than anyone on this message board.

With as much traveling on private jets as Gore does and the so called renewable energy he uses in his mansion (lets be honest thats a bunch of hogwash) I would bet his 'Carbon footprint' is larger than this entire message board combined. Nobody here has the resources he has at their disposal.

ATV

QuoteWith as much traveling on private jets as Gore does and the so called renewable energy he uses in his mansion (lets be honest thats a bunch of hogwash) I would bet his 'Carbon footprint' is larger than this entire message board combined. Nobody here has the resources he has at their disposal.

Yea. That's right. If he wants to go around to all these fancy-pants places around the world to give his lectures he should be riding his gosh-durn bicycle. Anybody who wants to fight global warming should move into a new house so that some other rich guy (that doesn't give a crap about global warming) can live in their old one.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I'm just talking about the energy usage at his HOME.  Try to keep up with the original argument, skins fan.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ATV on June 18, 2008, 05:25:00 PM
QuoteWith as much traveling on private jets as Gore does and the so called renewable energy he uses in his mansion (lets be honest thats a bunch of hogwash) I would bet his 'Carbon footprint' is larger than this entire message board combined. Nobody here has the resources he has at their disposal.

Yea. That's right. If he wants to go around to all these fancy-pants places around the world to give his lectures he should be riding his gosh-durn bicycle. Anybody who wants to fight global warming should move into a new house so that some other rich guy (that doesn't give a crap about global warming) can live in their old one.

Maybe he should try traveling with normal folks on a commercial flight instead of taking a private jet. He can live in as big of a house as he pleases, but don't preach to me about conserving and running my AC when you're using more energy in a month than I use in a year.

Diomedes

given the amount this dude travels, even if he did take commercial flights his energy usage would far surpass the crieteria you require to be happy with him...the fact of the matter is that of all people who are wealty, who are doing this and signing that trying to make some girl, Gore has more than aqcuitted himself on the count of trying to keep his carbon footprint small.

it's not his fault that we simply don't have the technology to be wealthy, world travelling people without doing significant damage.

his reward for taking the issue front and center, for imperfectly addressing it in his own life despite the fact his peers have made NO attempt to do the same, is that people like you dismiss him as a preachy hypocrite.  pretty goddamn frustrating

oh well...I'm armed and my children will be too
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on June 18, 2008, 09:01:57 PM
given the amount this dude travels, even if he did take commercial flights his energy usage would far surpass the crieteria you require to be happy with him...the fact of the matter is that of all people who are wealty, who are doing this and signing that trying to make some girl, Gore has more than aqcuitted himself on the count of trying to keep his carbon footprint small.

it's not his fault that we simply don't have the technology to be wealthy, world travelling people without doing significant damage.

his reward for taking the issue front and center, for imperfectly addressing it in his own life despite the fact his peers have made NO attempt to do the same, is that people like you dismiss him as a preachy hypocrite.  pretty goddamn frustrating

oh well...I'm armed and my children will be too

Commercial flights carry other passengers...so really I'd look at it like he was carpooling not taking his own personal air limousine. And he is a preachy hypocrite. You make a big stink about something and tell people to change you should be the one front and center trying to set the example, not living in a mansion and riding in a personal jet. Your contention is because his wallet is fatter than the average Joe's that gives him the right to have a larger carbon footprint. Wrong. If he wants to fly around and preach so be it, but given his stance he should be taking every possible oppurtunity to set the example.

Diomedes

Which he is doing better than anyone of comparable status.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

troyhstewart

Quote from: FastFreddie on June 18, 2008, 06:58:55 PM
I'm just talking about the energy usage at his HOME.  Try to keep up with the original argument, skins fan.

That's not what is important to me, and while not perfect, I do care about the environment.  Somebody needs to raise awareness of the issues, and the government needs to invest your(ha!) tax dollars for new technology that would be cheaper and more likely to be used by the average person. 

And I don't call "investing in new technologies" giving billions in handouts to the same companies that rape us with the oil.  With each new quarter, they're breaking their own records in terms of profits. Do they really care about making "greener energy" cheaper to the average person?

ATV

Quotebut don't preach to me about conserving and running my AC when you're using more energy in a month than I use in a year.

By this logic presidents and vice presidents who avoided combat duty shouldn't wage wars.