Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Even sadder is the fact that we are all idiotically full of shtein.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Phanatic

That being said I do think the evidence leans in favor of some sort of climate change, however global warming is really too simplistic. Weather patterns are changing globally in some cases warmer and in some cases colder.

The Earths cooling and warming cycles happen over hundreds of thousands of years, however humans have not been recording temperatures long enough to prove anything. The most compelling evidence I've seen are in Glacier changes which can be tracked through time geologocally. Some (not all) Glaciers have retracted in a hunderd years what normally cylces over thousands of years. Of course all of that is debatable as every glacier isn't going to act the same given the circumstances.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Phanatic

Quote from: rjs246 on April 25, 2008, 04:32:16 PM
Even sadder is the fact that we are all idiotically full of shtein.

This
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

PoopyfaceMcGee

Wingspan

Quote from: Butchers Bill on April 25, 2008, 04:16:11 PM
Quote from: Phanatic on April 25, 2008, 04:10:39 PM
There is evidence that supports a theory but in science theories unlike religous beleifs are meant to be challenged by alternate theories backed by evidence to the contrary. The issue has become a heated debate with lots of emotion somehow when really it's all just part of the scientific process.

Sadly in this age, its easier to call someone an 'idiot' or 'full of shtein' than to actually think someone elses opinion has any value.

It's always been easier to do that, idiot.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Father Demon

Quote from: Wingspan on April 25, 2008, 04:45:29 PM
Quote from: Phanatic on April 25, 2008, 04:10:39 PM
There is evidence that supports a theory but in science theories unlike religous beleifs are meant to be challenged by alternate theories backed by evidence to the contrary. The issue has become a heated debate with lots of emotion somehow when really it's all just part of the scientific process.

Sadly in this age, its easier to call someone an 'idiot' or 'full of shtein' than to actually think someone elses opinion has any value.

It's always been easier to do that, idiot.

Stop it.  You're full of shtein.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Cerevant

The full of shtein comment was in direct response to your taking a quote and changing its meaning to suit your agenda.  That is, quite objectively, bullshtein.

I already explained why I'm not interested in your opinion.  To complete my thought, every time someone pokes a hole in a denier theory, the deniers answer with a new theory.  This is inherently not credible.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Diomedes

To Joel and his ilk, global warming is a vast left wing elitist conspiracy to take all our money and ruin all our economies so they can ...  buy more pocket protectors and books or something...
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Diomedes on April 26, 2008, 06:54:56 AM
To Joel and his ilk, global warming is a vast left wing elitist conspiracy to take all our money and ruin all our economies so they can ...  buy more pocket protectors and books or something...

If thats all your simple mind can comprehend, so be it.  Its easy to lump everyone who disagrees with you into a convenient package that you can disparage, but I do not subscribe to anything you just said.

Cerevant, thanks for proving my point.  You can suck it as far as I am concerned.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Cerevant

It is not sufficient to simply produce a contrary opinion - there must be evidence to support it for a skeptical mind to consider it.  The knee-jerk reaction from every pseudo scientist on this issue has been the "natural cycle" theory.  If you think the scientists who participated in this study did not put this at the top of their possible explanations, you are a fool.  Physical evidence covering thousands of years and further have not shown a cycle remotely similar to what is happening now.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Cerevant

Natural cooling cycle to cancel the effect of global warming for the next decade.

QuoteResearchers studying long-term changes in sea temperatures said they now expect a "lull" for up to a decade while natural variations in climate cancel out the increases caused by man-made greenhouse gas emissions.

Global warming may stop, scientists predict The study predicts the IPCC's 0.3ºC temperature rise for the next decade may not happen
Melting icebergs: The study predicts the IPCC's 0.3ºC temperature rise for the next decade may not happen

The average temperature of the sea around Europe and North America is expected to cool slightly over the decade while the tropical Pacific remains unchanged.

This would mean that the 0.3°C global average temperature rise which has been predicted for the next decade by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change may not happen, according to the paper published in the scientific journal Nature.

However, the effect of rising fossil fuel emissions will mean that warming will accelerate again after 2015 when natural trends in the oceans veer back towards warming, according to the computer model.

PoopyfaceMcGee

That doesn't smell like a big pile of excuses at all.

Cerevant

Yeah, those natural cycles are a bunch of hooey.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Natural cycles are absolutely not a bunch of hooey.  The hilarious part is that the unrelenting tree huggers are trying to shove aside the period of natural cooling as an anomaly but embrace the periods of warming as primarily human-caused.

Cerevant

Side A: The current trend is deviating from all current available evidence, tending to be warmer than in the past.

Side B: That's because there is a natural cycle that is making it warmer.
Side B: Oh, and sun spots.  That too.
Side B: Hey, its getting cooler, see, you guys were wrong!

Side A: Well, there is a natural downturn in global surface temperatures.  Temperatures are still higher than expected, but in absolute terms, the natural cycle is going to mask the effect of man-made warming.

Side B: See, I told you the natural cycle was making it warmer cooler.