Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerevant

Bullshtein profiteering is what I'd call it.  It costs about 20 cents to plant a tree.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Cerevant on April 23, 2008, 06:39:43 AM
Bullshtein profiteering is what I'd call it.  It costs about 20 cents to plant a tree.

But the $62 spent makes you feel good...like you really did something bhahahaha. People are stupid.

Phanatic

Wow!

You can join the Arbor Day Foundation and get 10 free trees a year or something like that.

http://www.arborday.org/
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Father Demon

Quote from: Phanatic on April 23, 2008, 09:06:38 AM
Wow!

You can join the Arbor Day Foundation and get 10 free trees a year or something like that.

http://www.arborday.org/

For a $10 membership fee.  It's a great deal if you want trees.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Phanatic

Better then 62$ per tree in someone elses forest...

Cerevant

An observation that shows Canada isn't quite the tree-hugging mecca it claims:

I've recently noticed that both of my neighbors will get in the car, drive 5 minutes to Tim Hortons, buy coffee, and immediately return home.  One does this every morning.  They do sell coffee pots up here...Timmy's isn't that good... ???
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Butchers Bill

I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Cerevant

Wow, there is so much wrong here it hurts my head:
QuoteGreenpeace founder Patrick Moore says there is no proof global warming is caused by humans, but it is likely enough...

So, your statement is simply wrong.  Saying there is no proof is very different than saying it isn't true.

Quotethat the world should turn to nuclear power - a concept tied closely to the underground nuclear testing his former environmental group formed to oppose.

WTF - opposing the testing of nuclear weapons is equal to opposing nuclear power?  Brilliant!

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Butchers Bill on April 25, 2008, 01:31:17 PM
Greenpeace founder says humans DO NOT cause GW, and we should all go nuclear.

I watched an interview with that guy and he basically hates what Green Peace has become and that he ever founded it. And I'm all for Nuclear energy, aside from Chernobyl - which was more human error - there haven't been any major disasters. The only problem with Nuclear energy is the where to put the waste. But that pales in comparison to the pollution caused from fossil fuels.

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Cerevant on April 25, 2008, 01:50:58 PM
Wow, there is so much wrong here it hurts my head:
QuoteGreenpeace founder Patrick Moore says there is no proof global warming is caused by humans, but it is likely enough...

Saying there is no proof is very different than saying it isn't true.

Good point.  There is no proof that the Easter Bunny doesn't exist, so he must.

All he is saying is that he is guessing...just like all the Goreists out there.  There is no proof, so we'll just make up a reason that will support our socio-political objectives.

Reminds me of religion actually.  Man made up dieties to help explain what he did not understand about nature...not all that dissimilar when you think about it.  Both religion and the Goreists exist for the same reason...to extract donations from the commoners who don't know any better.

Cerevant

I didn't say that there wasn't proof, I said that you are fulll of shtein.

Yeah, let's ignore all the physical evidence that was analyzed and reviewed by over 1200 scientists who concluded in a report which was toned down to satisfy factions from the US and China that global warming was real, and that it was very likely caused by the industrial revolution.  You know, that report that started this thread.

I might listen to the deniers if they could come up with a consistent story...but every week it is something different:
  • The constant stream of "it snowed today, yay global warming" bullshtein
  • The sunspot theory
  • The "normal cycle" theories
  • The conspiracy theories
  • The "its real but not man made" theory

There might be some credibility there if they could pick one story and stick to it.  They deniers can't even agree if there is actually global warming or not.

Butchers Bill

Its really pretty simple.  The Earth has warmed and cooled before, and will continue to do so with or without man. 

That doesn't mean we should throw all environmental regulations out the window, but lets be a little sensible.  Should 'greenhouse gases' be reduced?  Sure, I am all for that within reason, but its not going to stop the world from getting any warmer.

Phanatic

There is evidence that supports a theory but in science theories unlike religous beleifs are meant to be challenged by alternate theories backed by evidence to the contrary. The issue has become a heated debate with lots of emotion somehow when really it's all just part of the scientific process.

Butchers Bill

Quote from: Phanatic on April 25, 2008, 04:10:39 PM
There is evidence that supports a theory but in science theories unlike religous beleifs are meant to be challenged by alternate theories backed by evidence to the contrary. The issue has become a heated debate with lots of emotion somehow when really it's all just part of the scientific process.

Sadly in this age, its easier to call someone an 'idiot' or 'full of shtein' than to actually think someone elses opinion has any value.