Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

watched a show about global warming and the ice age.  Basically they said that with global warming, bringing about the ice age.  I had no idea the ice age was only a decrease in the overall temperature by 10 degrees.  They said that you'll see the UK turned into Iceland, and the Chesapeake bay freezing over every winter. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

Judging from the Earth's weather cycle we're in between ice ages, there will be another one in the future it's just very unpredictable. Present day climate is actually very calm as far as the Earth goes.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 28, 2008, 10:53:04 AM
They said that you'll see the UK turned into Iceland

If it turns pasty white British women with horrible teeth into Icelandic hotties then I'm all for it. 

Diomedes

My wife brought two canvas bags to the SuperFresh today instead of using their bags.

They gave us a 4 cent credit for saving them the plastic bags.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phillymic2000

Quote from: Diomedes on January 28, 2008, 07:02:53 PM
My wife brought two canvas bags to the SuperFresh today instead of using their bags.

Our local store clerk looked at me like I was a wack job (I know imagine that) casue I brought my own plastic bags to re-use. We have a holder for them in the garage and we get way to many it's amazing at the amount you can build up. Also found out our new town does not recycle, you have to bring it yourself to their drop off which we do, but I can't imagine more then 10% of this town does this. what a shame.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on January 28, 2008, 07:02:53 PM

I've got an 80lb dog with an active colon.  I need all the plastic bags I can get. 

Also, it was 65 degrees in Kansas City yesterday.  Today's forcast:  34 and snow. 

rjs246

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 29, 2008, 10:10:02 AM

I've got an 80lb dog with an active colon.  I need all the plastic bags I can get. 

Amen to that.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

phillymic2000

Funny haven't heard from AL all winter, he must be waiting for the 90 degree summer days. His arse would get kicked real hard if he gave one of his talks in the rockford area.

http://www.citizensugar.com/1093812

Found this funny

SD_Eagle5

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7329799.stm

QuoteGlobal warming 'dips this year'
By Roger Harrabin
BBC News environment analyst

La Nina caused some of the coldest temperatures in memory in China
Global temperatures will drop slightly this year due to the cooling effect of the La Nina current in the Pacific, UN meteorologists have said.

The World Meteorological Organization's secretary-general, Michel Jarraud, told the BBC it was likely that La Nina would continue into the summer.

This would mean global temperatures have not risen since 1998, prompting some to question climate change theory.

But experts say we are still clearly in a long-term warming trend - and they forecast a new record high temperature within five years.

The WMO points out that the decade from 1998 to 2007 was the warmest on record. Since the beginning of the 20th Century, the global average surface temperature has risen by 0.74C.

Rises 'stalled'

La Nina and El Nino are two great natural Pacific currents whose effects are so huge they resonate round the world.

El Nino warms the planet when it happens; La Nina cools it. This year, the Pacific is in the grip of a powerful La Nina.

It has contributed to torrential rains in Australia and to some of the coldest temperatures in memory in snow-bound parts of China.

Mr Jarraud told the BBC that the effect was likely to continue into the summer, depressing temperatures globally by a fraction of a degree.

This would mean that temperatures have not risen globally since 1998 when El Nino warmed the world.

Watching trends

A minority of scientists question whether this means global warming has peaked and argue the Earth has proved more resilient to greenhouse gases than predicted.

But Mr Jarraud insisted this was not the case and noted that 2008 temperatures would still be well above average for the century.

"When you look at climate change you should not look at any particular year," he said. "You should look at trends over a pretty long period and the trend of temperature globally is still very much indicative of warming.

"La Nina is part of what we call 'variability'. There has always been and there will always be cooler and warmer years, but what is important for climate change is that the trend is up; the climate on average is warming even if there is a temporary cooling because of La Nina."

Adam Scaife, lead scientist for Modelling Climate Variability at the Hadley Centre in Exeter, UK, said their best estimate for 2008 was about 0.4C above the 1961-1990 average, and higher than this if you compared it with further back in the 20th Century.

Mr Scaife told the BBC: "What's happened now is that La Nina has come along and depressed temperatures slightly but these changes are very small compared to the long-term climate change signal, and in a few years time we are confident that the current record temperature of 1998 will be beaten when the La Nina has ended."

Diomedes

we had a very mild winter...I shoveled snow only once, and it was less than 3 inches

obviously global warming is still hot to trot
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on April 04, 2008, 08:02:08 AM
we had a very mild winter...I shoveled snow only once, and it was less than 3 inches

obviously global warming is still hot to trot

No complaints from me

its called 'Global Warming' not Eastern United States warming

Diomedes

rjs246

A piece of Antarctica the size of Connecticut broke off last week. Geologists had predicted that it will break off in 10-15 years.  (Now if only we could get Connecticut itself to break off from North America and drown all of the investment bankers we'd be on to something.)
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.