Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Dio,

Not every family in the United States can afford to "go green" like the Gores do.

My wife and I try to recycle and turn off any lights we are not using (heck, that's just smart to save $$$ anyway), but we can't afford an extra $10,000 for a hybrid car or pay an additional 50% on our electric bill for "green" power.

Diomedes

Every family can consume less.  Every family can replace incadescent bulbs with low energy super long life flourescents.  Every family can avoid the 45 minute shower.  Etc.  You don't have to opt to pay 50% more for green power to make an attempt.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Diomedes on February 27, 2007, 11:36:24 AM
Quote from: FFatPatt on February 27, 2007, 11:18:50 AMThe fact of the matter is that if every family in the U.S. consumed the amount of energy made the same attempts to be "green" as the Gores do, we'd be in a lot worse better shape than we are now.

fixed

If by "fixed", you meant "statement made patently untrue", then you get a gold star.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on February 27, 2007, 11:43:32 AM
Every family can consume less.  Every family can replace incadescent bulbs with low energy super long life flourescents.  Every family can avoid the 45 minute shower.  Etc.  You don't have to opt to pay 50% more for green power to make an attempt.

Like I said, we're trying to do some things to be more economical.  It's as much a bonus for us as it is for the environment.  I was responding to the parts you had bolded in that article more than anything else.

We haven't replaced our light bulbs yet, but we're working on it.  How much does a bulb cost?

And I've cut my shower to 44 minutes.

Sgt PSN

I leave my satellite recievers on all the time but I make up for it by unplugging all of the clocks in my house whenever I leave the house. 

Susquehanna Birder

troyhstewart

I'm above 15,000 KwH for the past 12 months.

What is the average household?

Susquehanna Birder

That looks good to me. I'm over twice that. How do you heat your place?

troyhstewart

Geowhizzer

I don't rightly know how many KwH we use (my wife usually pays the bills).  I would guess that we're a bit higher than normal because we have to run the air conditioner 10 months of the year.

I do remember that we are actually using quite a bit less than we used to (we got a new, more efficient A/C), but our prices are quite a bit higher.

troyhstewart

Quote from: Geowhizzer on February 27, 2007, 12:34:14 PM
I don't rightly know how many KwH we use (my wife usually pays the bills).  I would guess that we're a bit higher than normal because we have to run the air conditioner 10 months of the year.

I do remember that we are actually using quite a bit less than we used to (we got a new, more efficient A/C), but our prices are quite a bit higher.

I pay my bill online, so I just have to access my account to see my usage.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: troyhstewart on February 27, 2007, 12:36:46 PM

You're wasting electricity.  Why do you hate the earth?

troyhstewart

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 27, 2007, 12:41:40 PM
Quote from: troyhstewart on February 27, 2007, 12:36:46 PM

You're wasting electricity.  Why do you hate the earth?

I'm saving 1% of a tree by not getting a monthly paper bill.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: troyhstewart on February 27, 2007, 12:34:11 PM
oil, heat and hot water.

Ah, that makes a difference. I'm in an "all electric" house, and I run an old heat pump (I'm thinking of replacing it this spring). I miss my old house with gas heat.

Wingspan

I'm saving 1% by not paying any bills.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.