Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

all I'm saying is that the earth went through climate changes before we were ever here, and it will do the same when were gone. If we are in the start of a change it does not mean that the end of the world is near, it also does not mean it is all our fault. I'm not ignorant to the fact that we need to be aware of the earth and protect it, but come on we are not the only cause of it, and even if we did make drastic changes world wide we would not stop the natural changes the earth will go through.

mussa

regardless if its real or not. i think we need to make green changes in our economy and lifestyles. it should be law. the oil thing is out of control. we're smart enough to invent new methods. ridiculous.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Eaglez

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=156df7e6-d490-41c9-8b1f-106fef8763c6&k=0

Interesting article; A particularly good read for all of you who get their panties in a bunch over CO2 emissions...

And Kyoto is garbage, BTW. I'm not willing to consign developing nations who are trying to industrialize to abject poverty because some enviros want to cut back on some carbon emissions. Plus, China and India are a no go on that treaty. Hmm, two of the most rapidly industrializing nations who are still using inferior technology to produce substantial amounts of their energy are not part of this treaty...yet the United States is labeled as the great satan from not subjecting itself to ridiculous standards that will cripple commerce and have a negligible impace on climate change, if any.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Well said, but you'll be flamed for even a shred of dissent.

shorebird

Quote from: mussa on February 03, 2007, 01:11:31 PM
regardless if its real or not. i think we need to make green changes in our economy and lifestyles. it should be law. the oil thing is out of control. we're smart enough to invent new methods. ridiculous.

I agree with that. Regardless of what or who it's caused by or if GW is even a real occurrence, we need alternate fuels. Bad thing is the oil companies run most of the contry, so it's hard to get anything done that would put a dent in their profits.

I'll say this also, with the record low temps this week and what is forcasted for tommorrow and next week, I've been asking myself, were is the damn Global Warming when you really need it?

PoopyfaceMcGee

What has global warming done for YOU lately?

Let's put it this way, though - a trend doesn't mean an absolute.

For instance, the skins made the playoffs last year, but the trend they've had going on since the salary cap started and Danny Snyder bought the team is still one of severe sucking.

shorebird

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 04, 2007, 08:34:34 AM
What has global warming done for YOU lately?

Let's put it this way, though - a trend doesn't mean an absolute.

For instance, the skins made the playoffs last year, but the trend they've had going on since the salary cap started and Danny Snyder bought the team is still one of severe sucking.

That could not have been more excellently put!

Diomedes

Conrad Black owns the National Post.  Do a little research on him and tell me if you're surprised that he dug up (and then misspelled the name of) a little known scientist to manufacture controversy.

While you're at it, you might as well go over to the Washington Times and see what Sun Myung Moon and the Unification Church have to say about the matter.  hint: about the same crap Conrad Black promotes.

I disagree with Shaviv, but regardless of that, the linked article is trash.  If you really want to get what he's saying, read his full essay on the subject, posted on his blog:
http://www.sciencebits.com/CO2orSolar
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2007/02/04/45_nations_in_warming_pact/

Quote45 nations in warming pact
US, China, India rebuff call to form a climate group

By Angela Charlton and Seth Borenstein, Associated Press  |  February 4, 2007

PARIS -- Forty-five nations answered France's call yesterday for a new environmental body to slow inevitable global warming and protect the planet, perhaps with policing powers to punish violators.

Absent were the world's heavyweight polluter, the United States, and booming nations on the same path as the United States -- China and India.

The charge led by President Jacques Chirac of France came a day after the release of an authoritative -- and disturbingly grim -- scientific report in Paris that said global warming is "very likely" caused by mankind and that climate change will continue for centuries even if heat-trapping gases are reduced.

It was the strongest language ever used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, whose last report was issued in 2001.

The document, a collaboration of hundreds of scientists and government officials, was approved by 113 nations, including the United States.

Despite the report's dire outlook, most scientists say the worst disasters -- huge sea level rises and the most catastrophic storms and droughts -- may be avoided if strong action is taken soon.

In his call to action at a French-sponsored environment conference yesterday , Chirac said: "It is our responsibility. The future of humanity demands it."

Without naming the United States, producer of about one-quarter of the world's greenhouse gases, Chirac expressed frustration that "some large, rich countries still must be convinced."

They are "refusing to accept the consequences of their acts," he said.

So far, it is mostly European nations that agreed to pursue plans for the new organization, and to hold their first meeting in Morocco this spring.

Chirac, 74, is seeking to leave his mark on international affairs before he leaves office, likely in May, though his environmental record over 12 years as France's president is spotty.

Former Vice President Al Gore, whose Oscar-nominated documentary on the perils of global warming has garnered worldwide attention, cheered Chirac's efforts.

"We are at a tipping point," Gore told the conference by videophone. "We must act, and act swiftly . . . . Such action requires international cooperation."

The world's scientists and other international leaders also said now that the science is so well documented, action is clearly the next step.

"It is time now to hear from the world's policy makers," Tim Wirth, president of the United Nations Foundation, said Friday. "The so-called and long-overstated 'debate' about global warming is now over."

not gonna convince any of you creationists or deniers, but whoop there it is anyway
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Maybe someone should take a moment and speak to Chirac about the dangers of commercial nuclear reactors?

Or better yet, maybe someone should launch a cruise missile and "accidentally" hit one of them?

Eh - just spitballin' here...

Cerevant

Quote from: phillymic2000 on February 03, 2007, 09:43:16 AM
Just what I thought you can't explain either why the earth came out of an ice age when man and our horrible gas guzzling machines weren't here.

Look, genius, if you did some research you might have a clue...Hell, if you read this farging thread you might have a clue.  Let's try again:

Quote from: Cerevant on January 26, 2007, 01:03:10 PM
Quote from: Event Horizon on January 26, 2007, 12:07:19 PM
It does show that the globe warmed and ended the ice age long before humans burned fossil fuels. Therefore, the current deglaciation is not proof of human agents cause because something similar has happened in the recent past.

Besides, there are much larger forces at work and human created CO2 is the least, even marginal.

Quote from: Diomedes on January 23, 2007, 02:27:12 PM
350,000 years

Yes, it is cyclic.  No, the current trend is not typical of the cycle.  (Hint: the red line is the "oh shtein" part of this graph)

Cold-warm-cold-warm-cold-warm-cold-warm-really farging hot.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Phanatic

I wouldn't mind getting away from oil just so we can leave the Chavez's and religious radicals in the Middle East to their own devices. They can all have fun blowing each other up for all I care. Leave our sons and daughters out of it. Step one foot on American soil and we'll just bomb you indiscriminately.

With alternatively fueled missiles of course...
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Phanatic on February 05, 2007, 11:11:41 AM
Leave our sons and daughters out of it. Step one foot on American soil and we'll just bomb you indiscriminately.

That's easy to say, but 9/11 has been Bush's excuse for Iraq - and it's taken on a role of basically being anything but retaliation for 9/11 anymore.  But that's for another thread.

Diomedes

Ya, Chavez is a real threat.  Jesus farg you people amaze me.

Phanatic

Quote from: Diomedes on February 05, 2007, 11:14:51 AM
Ya, Chavez is a real threat.  Jesus farg you people amaze me.

I didn't say he was a threat. Just saying that he should be left alone. We shouldn't need or want his oil. Dig?

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!