Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

the "fool me once"  is my all time favorite.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

shorebird

Quote from: General_Failure on January 30, 2007, 06:12:21 AM
Hydroelectric-powered maglev trains?

Those things are bad ass. No friction, no wear and tear, they can run for ever without hardly any maintenance. Who knows, maybe one day there will be a line of magnets on RT. 50.

shorebird

Quote from: Cerevant on January 30, 2007, 06:14:54 AM
Its called biodiesel - you can run a diesel on used fryer grease.  The problem is that vegtable oil is energy negative - costs more to make it than it produces.  Hopefully some of the other alternative energy sources can help defray that cost in the future.

Used fryer grease burns cleaner than gas or diesel? I wouldn't know.

I know that there was a alternate fuel tried out in the 80's, called Gasohol, which was a corn oil based product I think. It was produced more to be able not to rely so much on foreign oil, rather than keeping the air clean. It was supposed to eventually be cheaper. I remember seeing gas pumps with an ear of corn on them! I didn't last long.

Susquehanna Birder

Gasohol (a gasoline and ethanol blend) is currently being produced...and used. I know that Wawa uses the stuff, and I bet that Sheetz does, too. It's probably around more than you realize.

Event Horizon

QuoteTwo New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity
Tue Jan 30 2007 10:02:32 ET

Two powerful new books say today's global warming is due not to human activity but primarily to a long, moderate solar-linked cycle. Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years, by physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery was released just before Christmas. The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder (Icon Books), is due out in March.

Singer and Avery note that most of the earth's recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth's last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites.

Unstoppable Global Warming shows the earth's temperatures following variations in solar intensity through centuries of sunspot records, and finds cycles of sun-linked isotopes in ice and tree rings. The book cites the work of Svensmark, who says cosmic rays vary the earth's temperatures by creating more or fewer of the low, wet clouds that cool the earth. It notes that global climate models can't accurately register cloud effects.

The Chilling Stars relates how Svensmark's team mimicked the chemistry of earth's atmosphere, by putting realistic mixtures of atmospheric gases into a large reaction chamber, with ultraviolet light as a stand-in for the sun. When they turned on the UV, microscopic droplets—cloud seeds—started floating through the chamber.

"We were amazed by the speed and efficiency with which the electrons [generated by cosmic rays] do their work of creating the building blocks for the cloud condensation nuclei," says Svensmark.

The Chilling Stars documents how cosmic rays amplify small changes in the sun's irradiance fourfold, creating 1-2 degree C cycles in earth's temperatures: Cosmic rays continually slam into the earth's atmosphere from outer space, creating ion clusters that become seeds for small droplets of water and sulfuric acid. The droplets then form the low, wet clouds that reflect solar energy back into space. When the sun is more active, it shields the earth from some of the rays, clouds wane, and the planet warms.

Unstoppable Global Warming documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. The Chilling Stars explains the why and how.

The global warming nutjobs insist that we must destroy the worlds economy with their myth of anthropogenic causes for climate change even though the evidence continues to mount against such foolishness. Humans are like that, though. Give them a myth by which they feel good about turning over their lives to the elites. Salvation by segregating your trash and driving death traps.

Phanatic

That world economy (backed by oil) will probably be destroyed by the 'War on terror' long before environmentalists have any say.

Over under on who gets it first, mankind or the world?
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Rome

The world did just fine without us for several billion years and will do just fine without us long after we're dust.

ice grillin you

Humans are like that, though. Give them a myth by which they feel good about turning over their lives to the elites. Salvation by segregating your trash and driving death traps.

ironic considering how many anti global warming people are creationists and have thus turned over their lives to the greatest myth the world has ever known
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Event Horizon

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 30, 2007, 02:29:22 PM
Humans are like that, though. Give them a myth by which they feel good about turning over their lives to the elites. Salvation by segregating your trash and driving death traps.

ironic considering how many anti global warming people are creationists and have thus turned over their lives to the greatest myth the world has ever known

Only the best for me and mine.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 30, 2007, 02:12:16 PM
QuoteTwo New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity
Tue Jan 30 2007 10:02:32 ET

Two powerful new books say today's global warming is due not to human activity but primarily to a long, moderate solar-linked cycle. Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years, by physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery was released just before Christmas. The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder (Icon Books), is due out in March.

Singer and Avery note that most of the earth's recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth's last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites.

Unstoppable Global Warming shows the earth's temperatures following variations in solar intensity through centuries of sunspot records, and finds cycles of sun-linked isotopes in ice and tree rings. The book cites the work of Svensmark, who says cosmic rays vary the earth's temperatures by creating more or fewer of the low, wet clouds that cool the earth. It notes that global climate models can't accurately register cloud effects.

The Chilling Stars relates how Svensmark's team mimicked the chemistry of earth's atmosphere, by putting realistic mixtures of atmospheric gases into a large reaction chamber, with ultraviolet light as a stand-in for the sun. When they turned on the UV, microscopic droplets—cloud seeds—started floating through the chamber.

"We were amazed by the speed and efficiency with which the electrons [generated by cosmic rays] do their work of creating the building blocks for the cloud condensation nuclei," says Svensmark.

The Chilling Stars documents how cosmic rays amplify small changes in the sun's irradiance fourfold, creating 1-2 degree C cycles in earth's temperatures: Cosmic rays continually slam into the earth's atmosphere from outer space, creating ion clusters that become seeds for small droplets of water and sulfuric acid. The droplets then form the low, wet clouds that reflect solar energy back into space. When the sun is more active, it shields the earth from some of the rays, clouds wane, and the planet warms.

Unstoppable Global Warming documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. The Chilling Stars explains the why and how.

Let's talk about Fred Singer, one of the author's of the books referenced above:

QuoteEnvironmentalists arguing against Singer's ideas say that he has a conflict of interest, i.e., financial ties to oil and tobacco companies [15], [16]. In 1993 APCO, a P.R. firm, sent a memo to Ellen Merlo, vice-president of Philip Morris, stating: "As you know, we have been working with Dr Fred Singer and Dr Dwight Lee, who have authored articles on junk science and indoor air quality (IAQ) respectively ..."[5]

The 1994 AdTI report was part of an attack on EPA regulation of environmental tobacco smoke funded by the Tobacco Institute.[17] Singer was also involved with the International Center for a Scientific Ecology [18], a group that was considered important in Philip Morris' plans to create a group in Europe similar to The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition (TASSC). Singer is also a Research Fellow at the Independent Institute,[6] another recipient of Philip Morris and ExxonMobil funds.[7]
A nonsmoker himself, Singer serves on the Science Advisory Board of the American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)[8], which strongly opposes smoking but otherwise tends to support industry positions on health issues.

In a February 2001 letter to the Washington Post, Singer denied receiving funding from the oil industry, except for consulting work some 20 years prior. While funds were not directed to Singer in his name, publicly available documents show that Singer's non-profit corporation SEPP received multiple grants from ExxonMobil, including in 1998 and 2000.[9]
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Rome

You mean a shill for the petroleum industry wrote a book "exposing" global warming as some sort of hysterical hoax perpetrated by looney liberals & communists posing as scientists?

I, for one, am stunned.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 30, 2007, 04:09:42 PM

Let's talk about Fred Singer, one of the author's of the books referenced above:
He's like the guy in Thank you for Smoking.

Susquehanna Birder

Event Horizon

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 30, 2007, 04:09:42 PM

Are you suggesting that worthy opinions can only be presented when the funding for research comes from "approved" sources? The science is automatically bad simply because the funds supporting it come from interested parties? Don't be so silly. The vast majority of funds for research into a host of fields come from parties with a vested interest in what is learned. Anyone with a brain knows that funding sources don't carry the day. Science is science. Facts are facts. The problem that the anthropogenic priests in the church of global warming have against Singer and anyone else who dares to oppose their apologetic is that they won't conform to the gospel of greenies for gaia. By this "standard", Galileo's findings would be treated to an examination of his person and the science be damned.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.