Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phanatic

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 29, 2007, 06:36:51 PM
Quote from: Phanatic on January 29, 2007, 05:51:45 PM
QuoteMost scientists today believe that the planets in our solar system formed 4 1/2 billion years ago as the final results of several series of collisions between much smaller objects a few miles across, called planetesimals. Not all the planetesimals -- which themselves were formed by collisions between smaller particles -- ended up in planets, however. Some of these planetesimals were primarily made up of rocky and metallic substances, and the leftovers of these are what we call "asteroids" today. Some of the other planetesimals were made up primarily of water ice and other frozen liquids or gases -- collectively, these are referred to as "volatiles" -- and today we call the leftovers of these "comets."

There is a theory that life on earth came from space 'bacteria'.

Fear the power of the Wiki....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

That's a good point. Because there is an obvious existence of bacterial life in comets, there are three possibilities- the bacterial life in comets "seeded" life on Earth, the bacterial life in comets came from Earth or there are separate causes. Each should be considered. 1 and 3 are similar because you need a source outside what we observe on Earth- explain how they survived -450 F of outer space to get to Earth- good luck. 2 has it's answer in the hydroplate theory. This same theory then goes on to explain:

Mid-Oceanic Ridge
Grand Canyon and others.
Pacific Trenches
Salt Domes
Continental Shelves and Slopes
Frozen Mammoths
Ice Age
Over Thrusts
Plateaus
Limestone
Metamorphic Rock
Layered Fossils
Mountain Ranges
Volcanoes
Methane Hydrates
Coal and Oil
Geothermal Heat
and others....

Is there another theory out there with one basic assumption that systematically answers so many questions? Find one. You may think it's a bunch of crap. It may be. I challenge you to read it. At worst you will get a good laugh.

All theories are 'assumtions' based on facts. There are some 'assumtions' that are much stronger then others. It is not 'faith' because scientifically we know that all assumtions can be disproven when more evidence becomes available.

Basically you have to be OK with not ever really knowing the answers. Some people just can't live with that. Those that can't live with that seem to have a penchant for making shtein up to shove down the throat of others.

The point of my post though, is that we are ALL aliens.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Geowhizzer

shorebird

..........so......when does anyone think that someone will come up with a alternative fuel for a 500hp semi to haul a 45' trailer?

Pray to God for that.

General_Failure

Hydroelectric-powered maglev trains?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Cerevant

Its called biodiesel - you can run a diesel on used fryer grease.  The problem is that vegtable oil is energy negative - costs more to make it than it produces.  Hopefully some of the other alternative energy sources can help defray that cost in the future.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Susquehanna Birder

Plus, I'm not sure there is enough supply to handle the demand of a global switch-over to biodiesel.

Cerevant

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on January 30, 2007, 08:07:17 AM
Plus, I'm not sure there is enough supply to handle the demand of a global switch-over to biodiesel.

I think that could change, with a shift from overproducing crops like corn and stopping the payment of farmers to not farm.

Further, we don't need to replace the entire oil market with biodiesel.  Smaller vehicles could run on E85 or Hydrogen fuel cells, etc.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Rome

So long as there's a market for poisons such as High Fructose Corn Syrup, corn will be produced like it's going out of style.

Phanatic

Another problem with BIO Diesel is it's performance in cold weather is worse then regular Diesel which gels at low temperatures. I think a clever engineer could come up with a work around for this though. My Diesel struggled a little this morning in the 10 degree weather as it is. Luckily I added some stuff to keep the fuel from becoming gelled though I can't drive to fast or the air on the fuel lines will cause the engine to stall.

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Geowhizzer

With the global warming, that shouldn't be an issue much longer, Phanatic.  :D

Susquehanna Birder

Woohoo!

Has anybody seen the Sarah Silverman bit on global warming? Pretty funny stuff.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

not sure this should go here but i dont care

this is amazing....a real life LOL

the state of the union one is classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whhbPVrb5KM&mode=related&search=

the jon stewart stuff is just sad...stewart is a genius