Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 29, 2007, 03:09:57 PM
They did. Explain how living bacteria, salt crystals, chondrules, limestone, water and maybe cellulose is found in meteorites. None of these could have been produced in outer space. 

Please don't try to make him stop Dio. This is some of the funniest shtien I've read on this board in a long, long time.

One key element of Brown's hydroplates proposal is that when water shot out from under the Earth it blew rock from underground into the solar system and made the comets. This idea is not supported by any evidence from astronomy or planetary science.
Hilarious.

P.S. Dio: Use gasoline to clean your trans cases. Leave them to soak over night and they'll look brand new after some light brushing. Gasoline is an awesome solvent. When you're done, strain the gas and use it in one of your bikes.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Event Horizon

Quote from: Tomahawk on January 29, 2007, 03:25:42 PM
The Earth itself was technically produced in outer space.

That's true. It also happens to be the only planet with liquid water and enough heat at the same time to produce the compositions found in meteoroids. Where does the water and heat come from if not from Earth?

Rome

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 29, 2007, 03:28:22 PM
I still believe in a Geocentric universe.

This means I believe Geowhizzer is the center of the universe.

I'd buy that before I'd buy the line of xenophobic idiocy that Event Horizon is trying to sell us.

Cerevant

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 29, 2007, 03:59:57 PM
That's true. It also happens to be the only planet with liquid water and enough heat at the same time to produce the compositions found in meteoroids. Where does the water and heat come from if not from Earth?

The only planet?  On how many planets have we taken an inventory?  And why does the water have to be liquid?  Oh, and BTW:

Venus has water vapor in its atmosphere.
Europa has liquid water under its crust of ice.

...and that's just in this solar system. 

One key element of Brown's hydroplates proposal is that when water shot out from under the Earth it blew rock from underground into the solar system and made the comets. This idea is not supported by any evidence from astronomy or planetary science.

Peer.  Reviewed. Science. 

But that's not where the scientists say the comets come from - they come from the Kuiper Belt.  I know your buddy doesn't believe in the Kuiper belt.  Maybe taking a look at what the Hubble telescope has found might help.  Or maybe he should just have a little faith.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Susquehanna Birder

Just when I thought this discussion couldn't get any stranger...   :-D

Event Horizon

Quote from: Cerevant on January 29, 2007, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: Event Horizon on January 29, 2007, 03:59:57 PM

The only planet?  On how many planets have we taken an inventory?  And why does the water have to be liquid?  Oh, and BTW:

Venus has water vapor in its atmosphere.
Europa has liquid water under its crust of ice.

...and that's just in this solar system. 

Peer.  Reviewed. Science. 

But that's not where the scientists say the comets come from - they come from the Kuiper Belt.  I know your buddy doesn't believe in the Kuiper belt.  Maybe taking a look at what the Hubble telescope has found might help.  Or maybe he should just have a little faith.

Bacteria can only form in liquid water and it must have a warm source to sustain it. Venus and Europa are not candidates. Neither are the cold regions of space where comets are supposed to have come.

Brown stated that a Oort cloud isn't observed. Your quote hasn't changed that at all.
QuoteThe Oort cloud has not been observed directly

Phanatic

QuoteMost scientists today believe that the planets in our solar system formed 4 1/2 billion years ago as the final results of several series of collisions between much smaller objects a few miles across, called planetesimals. Not all the planetesimals -- which themselves were formed by collisions between smaller particles -- ended up in planets, however. Some of these planetesimals were primarily made up of rocky and metallic substances, and the leftovers of these are what we call "asteroids" today. Some of the other planetesimals were made up primarily of water ice and other frozen liquids or gases -- collectively, these are referred to as "volatiles" -- and today we call the leftovers of these "comets."

There is a theory that life on earth came from space 'bacteria'.

Fear the power of the Wiki....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

rjs246

My jaw is literally on the floor after reading Event Horizon's posts.

Meteorites, comets and asteroids come from Earth? There are no other planets with water on them?

What the farg?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Event Horizon

Quote from: Phanatic on January 29, 2007, 05:51:45 PM
QuoteMost scientists today believe that the planets in our solar system formed 4 1/2 billion years ago as the final results of several series of collisions between much smaller objects a few miles across, called planetesimals. Not all the planetesimals -- which themselves were formed by collisions between smaller particles -- ended up in planets, however. Some of these planetesimals were primarily made up of rocky and metallic substances, and the leftovers of these are what we call "asteroids" today. Some of the other planetesimals were made up primarily of water ice and other frozen liquids or gases -- collectively, these are referred to as "volatiles" -- and today we call the leftovers of these "comets."

There is a theory that life on earth came from space 'bacteria'.

Fear the power of the Wiki....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

That's a good point. Because there is an obvious existence of bacterial life in comets, there are three possibilities- the bacterial life in comets "seeded" life on Earth, the bacterial life in comets came from Earth or there are separate causes. Each should be considered. 1 and 3 are similar because you need a source outside what we observe on Earth- explain how they survived -450 F of outer space to get to Earth- good luck. 2 has it's answer in the hydroplate theory. This same theory then goes on to explain:

Mid-Oceanic Ridge
Grand Canyon and others.
Pacific Trenches
Salt Domes
Continental Shelves and Slopes
Frozen Mammoths
Ice Age
Over Thrusts
Plateaus
Limestone
Metamorphic Rock
Layered Fossils
Mountain Ranges
Volcanoes
Methane Hydrates
Coal and Oil
Geothermal Heat
and others....

Is there another theory out there with one basic assumption that systematically answers so many questions? Find one. You may think it's a bunch of crap. It may be. I challenge you to read it. At worst you will get a good laugh.

MadMarchHare

Dude, Aspergillis is a deadly strain of fungus.  It can survive being autoclaved - that being placed in an evacuated steam bath under 5-6 atmospheres of pressure - in it's spore form.  There is bacteria known to thrive at the bottom of the ocean.

And the only reason all life on Earth depends on water is because the Earth is mostly water.  You see, if life can get started on another planet made mostly of, say methane, it will adapt to survive in that environment.  The only reason we think life requires water is because we haven't seen any that doesn't.
Anyone but Reid.

Event Horizon

Quote from: MadMarchHare on January 29, 2007, 07:22:31 PM
Dude, Aspergillis is a deadly strain of fungus.  It can survive being autoclaved - that being placed in an evacuated steam bath under 5-6 atmospheres of pressure - in it's spore form.  There is bacteria known to thrive at the bottom of the ocean.

And the only reason all life on Earth depends on water is because the Earth is mostly water.  You see, if life can get started on another planet made mostly of, say methane, it will adapt to survive in that environment.  The only reason we think life requires water is because we haven't seen any that doesn't.

Do you mean to suggest that we should trust that things occur even though they defy the laws of physics? Sounds like magic. Sorry, Aspergillus doesn't defy any law.

Comets are claimed to originate from beyond Pluto. Can you describe how bacteria could generate and survive to Earth in the vacuum of space at the outer reaches of the Solar System?

methdeez

You guys are all missing the big point.
Event, even if your shtein is true, what does that have to do with the bible?
Didn't you say yourself that many many religions have flood myths?
What makes you think that your myth is the right one? Many, many of those myths pre-date judaism and almost all pre-date JC.

Even if all your wacky shtein is correct, how do you know that the big flood wasn't caused by the great turtle when he formed man out of red clay?

You don't. Listen man, it's cool that you have your beliefs to help you in your life. More power to you. But don't think that it's science. And don't think that science is going to somehow prove your myth is more true than any of the other 100,000 or so religions that exist on this planet. Just be happy with it.

One of my biggest beefs with Christians is that they are always trying to ram thier shtein down everyone else's throat. I know feeling that you are in a special club and everyone else will be punished foreevr b/c they didn't join makes you feel good, but just leave us alone!

Let us dance! Let us drink! Let gay people be happy! Let people take thier own lives in the manner of thier choosing! Let science cure diesases! Stop starting wars to kill brown people! Why don't you do like the mormons and start your own little state and you can make up all the crazy rules you want.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 29, 2007, 03:28:22 PM
I still believe in a Geocentric universe.

This means I believe Geowhizzer is the center of the universe.

That's funny... I teach 150 teenagers that are absolutely convinced that they are the center of the universe.

PhillyPhanInDC

I am willing to bet a pile of money that Stephen Hawking privately refers to Walter Brown as the "gimp".

The Earth shteinting comets and asteroids stuff was funny for awhile, in a kind of point and laugh at the retard way , but maybe we could steer this back to the original topic.

I just got done watching An Inconvenient Truth, after a lot of suggestions to do so in this thread. Excellently done. Tomorrow I may start researching how I can stop being such an RJS to the environment.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 29, 2007, 09:43:58 PM
I am willing to bet a pile of money that Stephen Hawking privately refers to Walter Brown as the "gimp".

lol
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger