Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerevant

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on January 26, 2007, 01:36:38 PM
It's not typical of the cycles implied on that graph. But it's hard to say that there isn't some larger cycle superimposed on the whole process that is way beyond the scale of that data.

I agree, but

a) it debunks the "it happend 1000 years ago" theory
b) One would think that there would be a more gradual upward trend (each cycle sitting a bit higher on the scale), rather than a sudden spike.
c) Yes, correlation is not causality.  Still, this is not something that should be dismissed out of hand.

For me the fundamental question is, are the things I'm being asked to do to address global warming unreasonable?  Does it make sense to conserve energy?  Does it make sense to reduce fossil fuel consumption?  Does it make sense to make more efficient use of the fossil fuels I do use?  Does it make sense to reuse and recycle?
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Event Horizon

Here's how the Human caused global warming idea is a myth. Yes, a myth. The "scientists" who propagate this myth are dishonest pawns of a political agenda. Listening to the Al Gore crowd, you get the impression, no let me rephrase that, they come right out and tell you that man made CO2 is causing a dangerous warming of the atmosphere. They'll say the greenhouse gases which cause climate change are about like this:

Wow, difficult to argue with that, isn't it? 99.4%. If CO2 is driving the warming and human levels of CO2 pollutants have risen, it must be man made warming. But then there is that part in parentheses "(except water vapor)", ummmmmmm.

Let's see what a graph looks like taking into account the greenhouse gas of water vapor.

Holy shtein! What is that? Do you mean to tell me that of all the greenhouse gases CO2 is only a small fraction? Well, yes. It's the truth. But there's more. That 3.618 % CO2 is not all man made. Care to guess what % that is? I bet you have a hunch it's small. You would be right.

3.225 %. That is tiny, people. It's like 0.28 % of all greenhouse effect has a human agent. This is a fact. How can intelligent people allow themselves to be duped like this? The idea that humans are causing global warming is a bald faced lie.

Father Demon

I always thought the saying was "bold faced lie." 
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Cerevant

QuoteThe science of An Inconvenient Truth
... perhaps the least politicized source of information is the latest scientific summary of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(IPCC), a group of over 2000 scientists from 100 countries working under a mandate from the United Nations in the largest peer-reviewed scientific collaboration in history.

I'm going to believe these guys, thanks.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Father Demon on January 26, 2007, 04:39:18 PM
I always thought the saying was "bold faced lie." 

So in internet lingo, wouldn't it simply be lie?

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

The idea that humans are causing global warming is a bald faced lie.

BAN?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

methdeez

No dammit!
I want to hear about how dinosaur fossils could only be caused by events as described in the scripture!
Does no one else want to hear crazy check explain that one?

Event Horizon

Quote from: methdeez on January 27, 2007, 01:14:21 AM
No dammit!
I want to hear about how dinosaur fossils could only be caused by events as described in the scripture!
Does no one else want to hear crazy check explain that one?

You get a gold star for attention to detail.

Let us proceed with a question: From whence comes the volume of sediments which buried trillions of organisms (fossils) spanning the globe? Let me give you a hint: Solve the question of how voluminous amounts of limestone is produced as needed to bury huge numbers of what would become fossils on a global scale? Notice, we're not talking about the fossils themselves. The material which makes them is at question. How is it produced and where did it come from?

Bone up, Indiana. This is going to be good.

Diomedes

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 27, 2007, 03:43:27 AMFrom whence comes the...

For those of you who care about these things...you don't start a sentence "from whence," because "whence" already means "from where," so "from whence" is like saying "from from where?"

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

I'd say this "Event Horizon" guy has bigger problems than grammar.

Diomedes

Poor grammar is one thing.  Pretentious ignorance like this example is another. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

methdeez

Dude, I am not going to 'bone up'. My local library doesn't have a christian nutjob reference section. I just want to hear you make more of that gibberish talk which you think is english.

You are trying to hint somehow that fossils could only have been buried by the flood as described in the bible.
Please, I just want you to lay out your whole theory. Do me a favor. Maybe you will convert me!

Rome