Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Event Horizon

The number one cause of greenhouse gases is the evaporation of water in the Earths oceans. How much water is there anyway. How about 325 million trillion gallons. What about the greenhouse gases produced by animals farting up a storm? Then there are volcanoes. How much are they contributing? The Sun has much to do with it as well. So let's see, more water than a jag, poots from a trillion animals, thousands of volcanoes and a few million fossil fuel burners. Which of these is the real cause of global warming? Some fatass driving a Metro wants to blame it on some fatass driving a Hummer. The guy in the Metro has himself a computer which can spit out nice, colorful graphs- ooooooooo, look at the nice colors. That's some real science right there, folks. 

MadMarchHare

Sorry, but only a farging idiot would argue that humans aren't negatively influencing the environment.
Anyone but Reid.

rjs246

No way dude! Billions of automobiles, increased resource consumption, over-population and industrialization are just happening coincidentally to this change in global atmoshpere. Der.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Event Horizon

Quote from: MadMarchHare on January 25, 2007, 07:54:24 PM
Sorry, but only a farging idiot would argue that humans aren't negatively influencing the environment.

I didn't argue that. I do say that humans are not causing global warming. A warm globe is the natural state of the planet.

Event Horizon

Quote from: rjs246 on January 25, 2007, 07:55:48 PM
No way dude! Billions of automobiles, increased resource consumption, over-population and industrialization are just happening coincidentally to this change in global atmoshpere. Der.

The popularity of the NFL has increased at the same time the global climate has changed. Coincidence?

rjs246

So you're saying that a sporting event is a reasonable comparison to industrial waste, automobile-driven pollution and use of natural resources with regard to a discussion about global warming?

Not only is your head buried in the sand, but you can't even argue your point effectively. Pathetic.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Event Horizon

Right.

There is no connection between two events occurring at the same time unless you can demonstrate a cause and effect relationship. Simply pointing to two lines moving in the same direction is not a reason to think one is causing the movement of the other. It's illogical.

rjs246

Everything that I just pointed out has been PROVEN to impact the atmosphere around it. But keep trying. It's adorable.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Event Horizon

Quote from: rjs246 on January 25, 2007, 08:22:43 PM
Everything that I just pointed out has been PROVEN to impact the atmosphere around it. But keep trying. It's adorable.

Lots of things affect the atmosphere. Few of them can affect it enough to warm the whole globe. There's evidence that the globe has and will warm as we move away from the ice age. Whether humans are on the planet or not, it will warm because the processes which caused the ice age have dissipated. It's pure physics.

rjs246

200 years of those things, spread across the entire planet would be more than enough to warm the globe. But I'm sure that the slow process of heating up since the ice age just magically became more rapid over the past 200 years. Jesus is magic!

Let them eat bootstraps.

Event Horizon

Quote from: rjs246 on January 25, 2007, 08:50:07 PM
200 years of those things, spread across the entire planet would be more than enough to warm the globe. But I'm sure that the slow process of heating up since the ice age just magically became more rapid over the past 200 years. Jesus is magic!

Not magic. Physics. That might appear as magic to the unwashed but that's why I'm here.

ice grillin you

There's evidence that the globe has and will warm as we move away from the ice age

since no humans have ever lived thru or away from an ice age where does this evidence that you speak of come from

not saying it doesnt exist but could you provide a link
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD_Eagle5

I just rented 'An Inconvenient Truth', plan on watching it tonight. Hoping it gives me some perspective into this debate.

Diomedes

The only real complaint anyone could lodge against that movie is the occasional jab Gore takes at the Chimp and his clan of corporate whores.

But that ain't the substance of the film at all.   It's just a dash of seasoning in a tasty soup of doom.

Which leads me to the next point...rjs thinks we're doomed and I can't say he's crazy.  Gore thinks we can reverse this, and I'm not sure he isn't crazy for thinking that.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Since Florida has been a prime target of hurricanes in the past few years, I've taken a real interest in keeping attention to websites such as weatherunderground.com.  The guy who runs it, Dr. Jeff Marsters, wrote a fairly in-depth review of An Inconvenient Truth:

Al Gore's global warming movie, "An Inconvenient Truth," aims to call attention to the dangers society faces from climate change, and suggests urgent actions that need to be taken immediately. It is based on a slide show on climate Gore has presented to audiences worldwide over 1000 times in the past 15 years, but it is not purely a documentary. Gore's movie is an advocacy piece that is part documentary, part biography, and part campaign ad. I'll discuss all three of these aspects below. In brief, Al Gore has the right idea--climate change is an urgent issue that requires immediate action, and his thoughtful movie is a welcome addition to the usual array of mindless Hollywood summer fare. However, the movie has flaws. The presentation of the science is good, but not great--I rate it B minus. The excessive details on Al Gore's life make the movie too long, and his insistence on using the movie as something of a campaign ad detracts from its message.

An Inconvenient Truth as a biography of Al Gore
The creators of the movie presumably thought that simply presenting Gore's slide show would be too dull, so they decided to give the movie some human interest by interweaving a biography of Al Gore's life. Al Gore has led an interesting life, but "interesting" and "Al Gore" are not words one can often put together. As my daughter noted in her movie review yesterday, Al Gore is boring, and the 20 minutes or so of biography presented in An Inconvenient Truth is too much for a movie that is 1 hour and 36 minutes long. For example, I didn't really need to see the road where Al Gore totaled his car when he was 14 years old, or a replay of his loss in the 2000 election. On the other hand, some details of his past were interesting and relevant, such as the fact that he took college courses in the late 1960s from Harvard's Dr. Roger Revelle. Revelle and Dr. Charles Keeling were the pioneers in measurements of atmospheric CO2, and thus Gore got a very early exposure to the now infamous "Keeling Curve" (Figure 1), showing the build-up of atmospheric CO2. This early exposure to the significant impact humans were having on the atmosphere deeply affected Gore, and in the movie he details efforts he made to call attention to the issue long before most people had heard of it, back in the 1970s and 80s. Gore's slide show appropriately displays many graphs of the Keeling Curve, as it is probably the most important and most famous finding in climate change science.

Figure 1. The Keeling Curve is a record of CO2 measurements taken at he top of Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii since 1958.

(More to come)