Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Event Horizon

Quote from: Diomedes on January 23, 2007, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: methdeez on January 23, 2007, 07:42:06 PMNow what explains numbnuts saying that dinosaur fossils could only be explained by biblical events and are further proof of the bible....
I really can't even begin to respond to that.

I can: LMFAO.  And stay away from me, fundie freaks.  I'm armed if you don't heed the warning.  I'll send you to your Jesus faster than you can say "hippy."

I fire back, hippy! You better be true.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Cerevant on January 24, 2007, 02:47:48 PM
It can be pretty embarrassing to be an American.

When I lived in PA, I put my trash out twice a week, and recycling out once a week.  That's 1-2 full 30 gallon trash cans, and 1 5 gallon recycling bin, usually about half full.
Living in Canada, trash and recycling are collected once per week.  I put out 1 half full 30 gallon trash can, and two 5 gallon recycling bins, both overflowing.

When I was having the home inspection done for the house I bought up here, I was looking at the furnace...and there was ABS plastic pipes coming out of the top.  WTF?  And where is the chimney?  The inspector explains - the heater is a high efficiency unit whose exhaust is room temperature.

In the US, McDonald's Happy Meals come in a press board box - hard to recycle, take up more space in the dump.  In Canada they come in a paper bag.

I have been regularly getting fliers in the mail from Members of Parliament, debating why Canada should or should not sign Kyoto.  In the US, the decision has already been made by the lobbyists.

While the average temperature is ~7 degrees colder, and energy rates are higher, I'm paying less to heat my house than I did for my twin (sharing a wall with a neighbor) in Souderton.

There is a household hazardous waste depot to get rid of paint, solvents, oil, batteries, computer parts, etc., open 5 days a week.  This is next to the recycling center, where I can drop off recyclables too large to put to the curb (including styrofoam packing material) which is open 24 hours / day.  This is 10 minutes from my home and 2 minutes from my work.

In Canada you don't get an "Electric Bill" - you get a "Hydro Bill".  This is because more than half of the country's electric comes from hydroelectric dams.

I thought this (out of context) quote from rjs sums up the US attitude best...

Quote from: rjs246 on January 11, 2007, 04:19:16 PM
I don't get it. I mean, not only is it disgusting, but it takes a certain amount of "farg everyone else, I'm gonna piss on this seat and make someone else clean it up" attitude to do this. So ignorant.

C -

I can't speak for anywhere else, because I've lived in Florida since 1993 as recycling was just beginning to become prevalent in the U.S.
I also don't pretend that Florida does it as extensively as Canada, but I have a recycling bin just about as large as the trash bin (probably 20 or 25 gallons).  And, yes, the trash is collected twice a week, but I never have to put it down more than once per week.  Usually the trash is less than 2/3 full.

I have a three year old that loves McDonald hambugers (he's allowed about one per month), and I've never seen it in a box that we've bought for him.  It's always been in a paper bag.

And, of course, living in Florida I've turned on the heat once this year.  Now, the air conditioning...  :paranoid

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 04:26:25 PM
Quote from: SunMo on January 24, 2007, 04:21:15 PM
they don't work so good outside though

Yeah, they aren't made for outdoor duty.

They do make some for outdoors, though. Basically the curly indoor bulb surrounded by a floodlight-shaped housing. I have two of them on my back-porch light.

Wingspan

i'll start using those swirly bulbs when they will work on a dimmer switch
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

phillymic2000

I do what I can, we recycle all plastic and paper, we switched to the swirly light bulbs, I got the "daylight" kind and I love them, not yellowish, more of a pure white light. At work I started a recycling program surprisingly they had NONE :o The company we use is called Donahue (I think they have recently changed their name) but they pay us for the paper we produce, not a huge amount but hey any $$ will help in the community. This year we started letting the community know so they can deposit their paper in our cans and we can get more..

My one question for Al Gore is, if all this heating up is caused by our industrialization, how did the earth come out of previous ice ages?

Also we have had 9 straight days of high temps below freezing in Chicago, the longest stretch since 2003, so maybe we should be worried about the next ice age ;D

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Wingspan on January 24, 2007, 08:33:23 PM

God forbid you actually just have an "on" and "off" to your lights.  That would be totally uncool!

Geowhizzer

It's only supposed to be 66 tomorrow.  Time to break out the parkas.

phillymic2000

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 24, 2007, 09:13:40 PM

God forbid you actually just have an "on" and "off" to your lights.  That would be totally uncool!

How is gonna get the right mode going with the Barry White CD? You gotta lower them lights slooooowly

mussa

Just watched an inconvienient truth. i am sold the majority is our fault. i suggest all the people who don't believe its true to watch this movie. that is all i have to say. watch it.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Cerevant

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 24, 2007, 05:35:53 PM
That's funny.  I live right near Raleigh.

Well, then you should have no problem recognizing the little town names I didn't expect most of the people on this board to recognize -

I got the styrofoam cup at Nick's in Princeton.

The homes I visited were in Princeton and Kenly

The hotel I stayed at was the Candlewood Suites at Crabtree.

But thanks for completely missing my point...

QuoteYou're being a self-righteous shtein.

If it makes you feel better.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Cerevant on January 25, 2007, 08:27:20 AM
The homes I visited were in Princeton and Kenly

But thanks for completely missing my point...

QuoteYou're being a self-righteous shtein.

If it makes you feel better.

Princeton and Kenly are both significantly east of "civilization" and that doesn't surprise me one bit.

And I didn't miss any of your point, sweettits.  It's rather clear to me how you're doing your part to save the world.

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 24, 2007, 09:13:40 PM

My house has both actually in some rooms. Like the kitchen, where I do use the swirly bulbs. But the family room, living room and basement are recessed lighting. I tried those swirly bulbs, but being on a dimmer switch, actually blew those lightbulbs out in about 3 months.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Putting your own semen into a delicious shake counts.  I think you qualify.

Cerevant

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 25, 2007, 09:55:55 AM
And I didn't miss any of your point, sweettits.  It's rather clear to me how you're doing your part to save the world.

The point wasn't about me, fargtard.  As you pointed out, the government needs to do something to help everyone make progress.  I was just giving some examples of what federal, state and/or local governments could do to make things better.  It isn't about bullying people, it is about making it easy to do the right thing.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.