Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Alternate fuel needs to be found, and fast. Whether it's causing global warming or not, all that CO2 in the atmosphere CAN'T be good for people.

The fact taht we're chopping down rain forrests and taking away trees that breathe the CO2 isn't helping either.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Alternate fuels have been found. Some were pushed out of the way for petrolium. Don't we have this conversation every year?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Since when do you get involved in conversations?  About anything? 

You're the one like joke guy, lobbing in from afar, then moving on to find the next joke.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Father Demon

Dio -- forgot to tell you.  You'd be soo proud of me.

I have cut my feul consumption 75% in the past 6 months, and my family has cut it 40% total. 

And I lean to the right.

Yea me.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Diomedes

You don't lean to the right, you march to the right.

Good move though.  Has the effort ruined your lifestyle?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Father Demon

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 10:51:29 AM
You don't lean to the right, you march to the right.

Good move though.  Has the effort ruined your lifestyle?

Not at all.  But I cheated -- my office closed, and I work from home now.  No more 50 mile round trips each day.  I only drive to the airport about 3 to 4 times a month now.

And I did capture about a $2200 year "raise" from money not spent on gas.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Diomedes

Why doesn't the President go on TV and issue a challenge to all Americans...a real challenge, not the crap he said last night.  Something along the lines of...it is our duty as Americans to consume less.  It is good in every way for the Nation if we drive less, use less gas, turn off our lights when we aren't using them, etc.

"I challenge you, the citizens of this great union, to prove that we can waste less.  I'm asking every citizen to look at their lives and find ways to conserve energy.  It is possible for individuals to achieve a 25% decrease in energy usage within months--without moving into tents--and I know the American people can do it."

Something along those lines.  Something like what Gore is saying: the responsibility is not simply on business or government....a great deal of it is on individuals.

Tomahawk

Quote from: General_Failure on January 23, 2007, 07:37:10 PM
And what happened to the global cooling they talked about in the 70s?

Global warming is going to lead to the next ice age by melting the polar icecaps.

General_Failure

It's 2:30 am here. I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Cerevant

It can be pretty embarrassing to be an American.

When I lived in PA, I put my trash out twice a week, and recycling out once a week.  That's 1-2 full 30 gallon trash cans, and 1 5 gallon recycling bin, usually about half full.
Living in Canada, trash and recycling are collected once per week.  I put out 1 half full 30 gallon trash can, and two 5 gallon recycling bins, both overflowing.

When I was having the home inspection done for the house I bought up here, I was looking at the furnace...and there was ABS plastic pipes coming out of the top.  WTF?  And where is the chimney?  The inspector explains - the heater is a high efficiency unit whose exhaust is room temperature.

In the US, McDonald's Happy Meals come in a press board box - hard to recycle, take up more space in the dump.  In Canada they come in a paper bag.

I have been regularly getting fliers in the mail from Members of Parliament, debating why Canada should or should not sign Kyoto.  In the US, the decision has already been made by the lobbyists.

While the average temperature is ~7 degrees colder, and energy rates are higher, I'm paying less to heat my house than I did for my twin (sharing a wall with a neighbor) in Souderton.

There is a household hazardous waste depot to get rid of paint, solvents, oil, batteries, computer parts, etc., open 5 days a week.  This is next to the recycling center, where I can drop off recyclables too large to put to the curb (including styrofoam packing material) which is open 24 hours / day.  This is 10 minutes from my home and 2 minutes from my work.

In Canada you don't get an "Electric Bill" - you get a "Hydro Bill".  This is because more than half of the country's electric comes from hydroelectric dams.

I thought this (out of context) quote from rjs sums up the US attitude best...

Quote from: rjs246 on January 11, 2007, 04:19:16 PM
I don't get it. I mean, not only is it disgusting, but it takes a certain amount of "farg everyone else, I'm gonna piss on this seat and make someone else clean it up" attitude to do this. So ignorant.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PoopyfaceMcGee

So, the long and the short of it is that Canada is a bunch of hippie douches?

Rome

Cerevant

Ironically, I've found there to be a large socially conservative, even fundie population.  They just don't go around with their heads up their asses pretending the rest of the world is someone else's problem.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Well, it's obvious you're really humble and cool about it and not at all self-important.

Did you see the "South Park" episode with the cloud of smug?  That's you.  Congrats.

Cerevant

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 24, 2007, 03:10:15 PM
Well, it's obvious you're really humble and cool about it and not at all self-important.

Did you see the "South Park" episode with the cloud of smug?  That's you.  Congrats.

You piss on toilet seats, don't you?