Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

We're on mandatory evac right now but we're staying till tomorrow.  We'll be in Orlando tomorrow and Wednesday until this farger passes.  It should be parallel to Daytona at around 8:00AM and then start zooming up the coast.  All tracks are now staying off the coast to varying degrees and it will likely be a Cat 3 when it rolls past.  We're still getting smacked but we'll probably avoid a total mess. 

We're hopeful of that anyway but you never know.

Munson

Quote from: Geowhizzer on September 02, 2019, 12:21:09 PM
The county that I live in (Collier - Naples) closed schools tomorrow.

The county that I work in (Lee - Fort Myers) just announced they will be open tomorrow.

Collier extends about 30 or so miles further east.  Although just about nobody lives there (mainly the Big Cypress National Preserve), it may just be enough to force their hands on the closure.

Right now it's sunny and hot.  Just like most every day.

We drove 41 through Big Cypress on our road trip last year, and did that little side road off of it. That was a pretty cool drive, saw a ton of gators.

Everglades City was a real hellhole though lol. Didn't feel like it ever recovered from whatever hurricane last took it out. Of course we were there in early-mid August, so definitely the off season for them.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Munson on September 02, 2019, 01:16:20 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on September 02, 2019, 12:21:09 PM
The county that I live in (Collier - Naples) closed schools tomorrow.

The county that I work in (Lee - Fort Myers) just announced they will be open tomorrow.

Collier extends about 30 or so miles further east.  Although just about nobody lives there (mainly the Big Cypress National Preserve), it may just be enough to force their hands on the closure.

Right now it's sunny and hot.  Just like most every day.

We drove 41 through Big Cypress on our road trip last year, and did that little side road off of it. That was a pretty cool drive, saw a ton of gators.

Everglades City was a real hellhole though lol. Didn't feel like it ever recovered from whatever hurricane last took it out. Of course we were there in early-mid August, so definitely the off season for them.

Everglades City is a small "city" (about 400, and has never topped 1,000) to start with, and they were absolutely devastated by Irma in 2017.  Mainly crabbers and tourism due to their proximity to the west entrance of the Everglades and the Ten Thousand Islands for fishing.

Funny thing is that until the 1960s, it was the seat of government for the county.

MDS

how many of these things need to combine with the MAGA geezers for you people to leave that hellhole state
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

It's never easy to exit a speeding train, kiddo.  We have a home, jobs and a kid in college here.  That's why I'm still here. 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on September 02, 2019, 04:16:49 PM
how many of these things need to combine with the MAGA geezers for you people to leave that hellhole state

You paying?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Rome on September 02, 2019, 04:23:18 PM
It's never easy to exit a speeding train, kiddo.  We have a home, jobs and a kid in college here.  That's why I'm still here.

Other than my kids are in high and middle school, bingo.

I tell my wife if we ever move, I am not stopping until I re-cross the Mason-Dixon line.

MDS

ive got a (very small) spare bedroom

leggo
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

Living down here is stupid cheap. If it wasn't, nobody would live here.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Same here.

I do not miss the cost of living back home

Diomedes

You're welcome.  I mean, you do know that we're subsidizing your sorry asses, right?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Sadly, other than no income tax, I don't think the cost of living is much different in Naples.

I have a 3/2 ranch that needs a new roof, and it was just valued at $300K.  And I'm in the woods, nowhere near the beach.

Rome

The same house I'm in here at $350K would be well over a million in Margate. 

That's really the only difference.  A gallon of milk costs the same here as it does in Jersey.  There's no state taxes here and property taxes here are minuscule compared to there, though. 

General_Failure

You can get a 3 bedroom 2 bath house here for under $200k.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome